Pigeon-Talk banner

Time frame to replace eggs and alternative?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Jass SamOplay 
#1 ·
First off...I wanted to thank all the people in this forum for all the help I got regarding pigeons on my balcony. It all started by trying to get rid of them and now they are my outdoor pets.

Currently I have 2 weeks old squabs on my balcony and yesterday I saw the parents doing what pigeons do so I'm guessing new set of eggs will appear somewhere on my balcony.

I plan on replacing the eggs with dummies but the fake plastic eggs I ordered probably won't be in till end of this week or even next week.

How long do I have to replace the eggs before life begins in there? Anything I can do as an alternative until the fake eggs arrive? If boiling works, then how long do I boil the egg?

TBas (Tim)

#2 ·
Eggs

Technically if the eggs are fertile they have already,any started developing. You can often get wooden eggs from craft store,which you can paint white, large white marbles will also sow times work. Boiling them a for a few minutes is all it takes, less time than hard boiled chicken egg.

#4 ·
He said she hasn't laid them yet. Taking them away long enough to boil them, and cool them may make them find another nest site. These aren't pets, they're wild birds. But maybe they will stay anyway. But as Skyeking has said, they don't start developing until the parents start sitting on them, and usually, but not always, they will wait to do that until both eggs are laid.

#5 ·
Hey Tim,
Young are still helpless,unable to feed themselves so parents might take another week to lay. But your pigeons are tame they may lay when young are nowhere near to weaning. Hope they don't lay until fake eggs arrive. But if it happens,don't remove the first egg until the second one is laid. When the second one is laid remove them and replace them with boiled chicken eggs. They will serve the purpose,hopefully. I'm 90% your pigeons won't be able to tell the difference and will accept them. Others have tried chicken eggs with success already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.