Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you FOR flyers out there, when would you fly your birds early morning or later evening? I know one guy who flies later evening and after they trapped in, he feeds them... Because he gets less hawks. Also what percentage of feed (12, 14, or 16% ?) would you recommend for them to get up high but not out of sight? Thnx, Mac.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I usually fly mine later in the afternoon. The only problem with this is if the birds are chased far they may not have enough daylight to get back. I have had some chased by a hawk come back the next day. If I let mine out earlier in the day a hawk shows up 9 out of 10 time. I also get hawk attacks in the evening but a whole lot less then any other time of the day. If I do get an attack they are locked up for a few days and that usually works. There are a lot of people on here with more experience than me so I am sure others will chime in. What works for one person may not work for everyone.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I change it up. After 10am and b4 6pm is best for me in the summer. Hawks hunt more early and late when it is cool, but that does not mean they will not learn your system. They share the woods you loft fly around. Road training keeps them off track, birds come in and straight thru trap b4 the hawk has a chance hopefully. Feed is according to stress more than how high they fly IMO. If I am not flying I lower the %, if I am working them hard I raise the %. I never use less than 16% though. My birds always get above the hawk if he comes in and circles high above him and at times even dive bombs them to chase it off like a crow would. Hawks are the sharks of the sky. Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts