Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new birds have really been fun having since last Thursday morning. I have already got them used to my whistle and food container shaking. They know I'm about to feed them when I start whistling. They all perk up and sit waiting to get to that food. This evening, I am going to begin training them to the trap. I've read so many good instructions on this from this and other sites that I feel confident in beginning. My plan is to put them through the traps 3 or 4 times this evening depending on how they respond to it. Then tomarrow, do it all over again, then the next day the same. Then next week we'll go the next step of training. This is fun! I can hardly wait to start their loft flying training. I do need to change their food a little. I notice they like some of the grain and some they don't. I've got some pigeon feed coming in along with pigeon grit coming in this week. They have been eating great and drinking well. They all seem to be very healthy and content at this point. Wish me luck.:)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks della. I came home this evening and got my cage to put the birds in, went to the loft and caught them all and put them in the cage, took them outside and sat it on the ground where they could look all around. then I spent about 10 minutes doing a little cleaning and getting fresh water. then I went into the loft and looked outside at them watching so I began my whistle and shaking the milk jug half full of feed. I did this for about 30 seconds, then I opened the door to the cage as I slid it up against the trap. They all just sat there. So, I gently reached in and took each one and put him in the trap and he would sit there a second and then fly down. I did this to each one. I went back in, caught them, caged them and did it again. I had to gently ease each one into the mouth of the trap like before and they would sit there for a second, then fly down. I went in one more time and caught them and caged them, took them to the trap, opened the door and just held the cage there. One by one, they walked up to the trap and entered it on their own and flew down. After that time, I left them alone and let them eat and drink. Amazing. tomarrow we'll do it again.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Believe it or not these things will get easier especially if you have adult trained birds. They will just imitate the adults. I used to have a bird that I use as a trainer to teach my younger birds to either trap or do other things. Too bad, a hawk got her. She is the one in my avatar. I brought that bird to a training toss to teach my young birds to come home until she met her timely end. What happened was that she went back to the place where I tossed her when 2 of my young birds stayed put. I think she was trying to "retrieve" them because I spotted her on top of my loft, but still went back. I named her Cheek and she was my most tamest, smartest bird. She outwitted me many times. She survived the hawk attack, but perish with the wound.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RodSD, these are all young, I don't have any older birds. Sorry you lost your bird like that. i hope mine can survive a long time so they can become mentors to some young birds later on.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Trap training is only the beginning my friend! The whole process of settling yb's to the loft is truly an experience. The major pay-off is when you can take them for tosses! I'm a little ahead of you in terms of training. I've got my yb's homing from 5 miles out already. Don't worry you'll get there but you have to remember that these early stages of training are the most important. Your birds need to know how to trap and when to trap before you even think to let them out without the settling cage.

Good Luck!

Henry

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
goldenboy55, talk a little about the settling cage for me. Right now I am using a plastic pet carrier to put them in and sit them outside for a little while before I open it up to let them go through the trap. Last night, my wife helped me. We put themin the cage and let them sit outside for a few minutes, then she held the cage up against the trap and opened the door right after I shook the feed container and did my feeding whistle. They popped through the trap like old pro's. I'll keep doing this for the rest of this week. Do you think I will be able to open the cage door and let them fly to the landing board in another week?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
goldenboy55, talk a little about the settling cage for me. Right now I am using a plastic pet carrier to put them in and sit them outside for a little while before I open it up to let them go through the trap. Last night, my wife helped me. We put themin the cage and let them sit outside for a few minutes, then she held the cage up against the trap and opened the door right after I shook the feed container and did my feeding whistle. They popped through the trap like old pro's. I'll keep doing this for the rest of this week. Do you think I will be able to open the cage door and let them fly to the landing board in another week?
Here are some pictures of a settling cage. It will eliminate you having to use the plastic dog carrier and it will be less work for you and your wife! I would continue to trap train for 3 weeks total or until you feel that they're ready to be let out.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, gotcha. I guess my animal carrier is kinda a settling cage for now. They can look out of it all around.
Tonight, I re-did my landing board and trap entrance just a little to make it more critter proof. Then I did the trap training routine and they trapped like they been doing it forever. They popped through the trap like crazy, one right after the other. Food is definately the motivator.

So, Do you think I can start them loft flying next week after a few more days of trap training?????????

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I have been trap training now for 4 days, the birds have been in the loft for 14 days. Hmmmmm, they need another week or more, don't they?
14 days at the loft and 4 days of trap training is definitely not enough time! I would personally suggest waiting another 2 weeks before you even think to let them out. This will give them at least a month at the loft and 2 1/2 weeks of trap training. If they were born and raised there then you might be able to cut that time in half but in your case I wouldn't risk it. Some might say that the time frame I gave you might be too early as well but at the end of the day they are your birds and no one should know your birds as much as you would. I let my first set of youngbirds out after 2 weeks of trap training this year and they are doing great but they were either hatched at my loft or have been there for 2 months before trap training.

Henry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.