Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have babies on my balcony. 6 days and 5 days. The 5 day old is much smaller than the 6 day old. Is this any cause for alarm?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
possible, sometimes when one nest mate is larger he will hog the feedings and the smaller one gets weaker and weaker. but it does not always happen so keep an eye out. ask your local pet store if they carry hand rearing formula just in case.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Hi All

I have babies on my balcony. 6 days and 5 days. The 5 day old is much smaller than the 6 day old. Is this any cause for alarm?
I would just make sure they are both being fed, is there any way for you to check the crops without disturbing mom or dad, in case you have to give supplemental feedings?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Babies grow very fast first weel, so one day is big difference. Just monitor them as Spirit Wing suggested.:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments. Dad is scared off the nest if I go anywhere near them. The bigger on definitely has a really full crop. I've been away and the little one doesn't seem to have grown in 2 days. I will keep an eye on them. I'm glad there is no immediate cause for concern.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
If the baby is not growing and thriving that can also be a symptom of paratyphoid or e coli. In that case you need to bring him in and treat.

If he is just not able to get any food and can't compete with the big one, you should supplement or bring the big baby inside and allow parents to feed the little one first before each meal.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Below is a picture of the two of them together. Perhaps this may help the diagnosis.

I'm interested by the idea of moving the big guy inside to let the little one eat. How would this work exactly? How would I know when to move him-i.e. when they are about to get fed. Wouldn't the parents be pretty upset? Would they still look after him afterwards? Should I perhaps put them in different nests? They now have two nest on the balcony, one for the batch 7 weeks earlier.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
oh yes, he does need some help. Let Treesa guide you, less cooks in the kitchen the better...lol... good luck!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yes.........it definately looks like the little one needs some supplemental feeding. As you suggest the larger of the babies is propably getting the majority of the feedings. Bring the little one in and syringe feed some Kaytee, baby bird formula. It shouldn't take long for him to catch up.

Thanks so much for caring.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So should I bring the big one in so the parents feed the little one more or should I bring the little one in and try feed it?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
You have those 2 choices - now personally- you now how to handfeed right ? - l would bring the small one in - that is my vote - others can chime in but l wouldn't delay much longer

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have never hand fed a baby pigeon. I'll go off and get myself a syringe now, before it is totally dark. Can you point me to a quick link?

We don't get Kaytee formula here in South Africa, but apparently Pronutro (breakfast cereal here) is good for them. Judging by the size how much should I feed her? I'll give her food just before dark and then check on her in the morning.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I have never hand fed a baby pigeon. I'll go off and get myself a syringe now, before it is totally dark. Can you point me to a quick link?

We don't get Kaytee formula here in South Africa, but apparently Pronutro (breakfast cereal here) is good for them. Judging by the size how much should I feed her? I'll give her food just before dark and then check on her in the morning.

Perhaps plamenh can help you, as they are closer to your "neck in the woods". I sent plamenh an e-mail.

Also, can we get a better look at the tiny one?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I got everything ready to try and feed her. We went outside. I gently lifted Mom off the nest and soothed her while we picked up the baby. I placed Mom back on the nest and she had didn't even notice her baby was missing. We brought little Tanith inside. She was really really warm and quite active, obviously a little confused about what was happening. Her head was bobbing around a lot and she even started preening her fluffy yellow tufts. Her crop felt fullish (3/4 of a balloon). I guess she had had her evening feeding so all is good. We returned her to the nest by gently lifting Mom off again and placing her back in with her brother. They are both under Mom sleeping for the night. I'll check up on them in the morning.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Well, that's good news...apparently the mom and dad are still feeding her and she seems active enough. Keep an eye. It is a bit tricky handfeeding a small one, but you just need to be careful and ask for assistance here.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Mal,
If you need baby food formula, best is to look for Avi-plus - premium handrearing. Any pet store that sell birds will have it. Keep in mind that you can get about 10 different types of Avi-plus baby mix formula. Some of them are with crushed seeds in while these one, Dark blue (Premium handrearing) is very fine powdered. Light blue package is also good.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The baby seems ok but still isn't growing. Her crop is full and has a lot of texture to it. It feels like whole seed in is. She is alert and squeaking. I think she is being fed.

I think she has the same problem as one of the previous batch. Joey stopped growing after 3 weeks. He eventually made it out into the big world but I don't think he got very far. It is probably something they are inheriting from their parents.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Canker, Cocci, worms will deprieve baby from nutritions and they will have slow growth. I would leave them for a week and monitor growth. After that Spartrix, Coximed and Ivermectin would be good choice.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The still seem healthy. Russ is a bit bigger and blubbery than he should be but Tanith has finally started to grow a little. I've removed their shelter box. The weather is better now and I think they'll get better ventilation this way. Dad hasn't got back on the nest, so I'm still to see if he recognises it without the box.

Tanith cries for food throughout the day although there is still some in her crop. She tries to feed from her brother seeing as he is now so big. Her poops are similar to his but much smaller and watery.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts