Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have been moving the larger baby,under my silkie hen for an hour a day she is laying on eggs,so the small baby can get fed,but its really really tiny,and the other chick has quadrupled in size,and has its eyes open,the other still looks as if its just hatched.i have never crop fed,nor do i know how to keep it warm..please help,i don't want to lose this little one.:(

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
i have been moving the larger baby,under my silkie hen for an hour a day,so the small baby can get fed,but its really really tiny,and the other chick has quadrupled in size,and has its eyes open,the other still looks as if its just hatched.i have never crop fed,nor do i know how to keep it warm..please help,i don't want to lose this little one.:(
How old is the baby? Got pictures?
Here's how I feed babies. There are other methods and I've tried a few of them, but for me personally, they're just too messy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJe6y8EYQRg

You need to get a heating pad, set it on low, cover with a towel and put the baby on it. A light cloth over the top of the baby will be good to so the heat stays around the baby.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well ,the little one didnt make it through the night,i guess i have to expect that,i sometimes lose baby chicks too.its a sad thing.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
i have asked you before about this?
Teebo, I'm sorry the baby didn't make it. Often when one is much smaller than the other, it is a sign of paratyphoid. If possible you might want to have a vet check, or get vaccines for the rest of your birds. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I would ask the vet, as they're usually sold in batches of $50. Or, if you have a racing club nearby they might be able to give or sell you a few. Your pijies say hi by the way, I moved Silver Bells's basket to another cubby hole and gave her a new basket the other day, and the next day she was sitting in her old basket in a cubby three over from hers like, Mom, stop moving my stuff around, it took me a whole day to find it!!:p

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that is great to here,about the pigeons,how is one eye doing? does he have a mate?do you have pics of them?with this vacc that i need ,is it like with dogs,vaccinate once then 3-4 weeks later then annual?i vaccinate my own dogs and cats,but never a bird.Do vets carry this vaccine? i have never heard of it.:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Sorry, I'm slow. . .:rolleyes: Some avian vets will actually vaccinate the bird for you if you bring it it. I would think if you have four you could do that. Or, have you had a chance to check with any local clubs? Sometimes they will sell or give you just a couple vaccines as they order in large amounts. If it didn't cost SO MUCH to ship live vaccines, I'm sure one of us here could send you some. But according to Foy's it is mucho bucks for overnight shipping. You might start a new thread asking for ideas about where to get just a few vaccines, and others will have more ideas. Oh and Jolly Roger (the one with the blind eye) is great, he does have a mate, I will have to get pics. Also the younger fella (Lil' Roger now) has a mate too. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts