Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question, i bought a female pigeon, but how would i get the maximum genes of my male pigeon if the female pigeon have mated to other male from where i bought it?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
wait till the next round of eggs as the ones she has now...Im assuming she has them now...may be the other cock birds parentage. also she needs to pick your male pigeon as her mate so they need to be paired up first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so many questions.......

what if she doesn't want that male? but i want it to be paired up with my specific male....what can i do to make the female be attract to my specific male? or does it going to be a random pair? can i do something with it... help me.... please.....

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you can let her settle in for a few weeks if she is a new bird, then when she feels safe and knows the routine, you can put her in a cage or nest box with a see through partitian, hen on one side, cock on the other, after a few days let them be together in the nest box, you can let them out when you feel they paired up, watch close for any bullying from the cock bird. does not always work, if she does not like him..you will have to just let her chose in an open situation.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah like what spirit said. Give her a few weeks, cause if you put them in the cage right now, there's a chance that the hen might get hurt.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Good And Bad Genes

i have a question, i bought a female pigeon, but how would i get the maximum genes of my male pigeon if the female pigeon have mated to other male from where i bought it?
Hi Eubeon, Being that you asked a genetic question it would have been better to post it on the genetic forum.You must understand that all pigeons carry good and bad genes, therefore she or the mate or both will pass good and bad genes,so all you can do is raise 4 or 5 rounds of young that way you will see if more bad genes pop up.I see that you posted on the racing homer forum,so I would assume that is what you have a racing bird.GEORGE;)

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
My thoughts would be to breed your female and male bird. Take a young female from them and cross her back with the male. If the family is not line-bred or inbred they should be fine. Another way is to skip a generation and breed your male with his granddaughter.

The first scenario you would have 50% from the male and 25% from the daughter going to the offspring or 75% his bloodline 25% from your original hen.

The second you would have 50% him and 12.5% from the grandaughter of his bloodline or 62.5% his blood in the offspring.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Hi Eubeon, Being that you asked a genetic question it would have been better to post it on the genetic forum.You must understand that all pigeons carry good and bad genes, therefore she or the mate or both will pass good and bad genes,so all you can do is raise 4 or 5 rounds of young that way you will see if more bad genes pop up.I see that you posted on the racing homer forum,so I would assume that is what you have a racing bird.GEORGE;)
George,

I am not sure this is a genetic question. I think his hen is mated to another cock, and he is trying to figure out how to mate a hen to the desired cock........:rolleyes:

At this time of year, the hens and cocks should be seperated. Four or five months from now, when breeding season comes around, there is typically little problem in pairing them up the way you want. Sometimes it takes only minutes, sometimes a day or two.

If you have a foundation stud cock, then you can mate him to several different hens in a season. At some point you mate him back to a couple of his star grand daughters. You can then pair his star offspring to star 1/2 brother and sisters.

For more information on this kind of stuff, you might want to check out the genetic threads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts