Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to you make your racing pigeons come back to their house when they come back from a training toss...?

The reason i'm saying is that when i train my racing pigeon, they come back home but they just sit on top of the roof top of my house and just look down or fly around my house....! Also, i live kind of near the city just kind of...

I need help how to make them go inside their house when they are returning from a training toss...!?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
A lot depends on how far you are training them. Short training tosses may not be enough flying to fully exercise the birds. So therefore, once they come home, they may continue to fly for a while before landing. If all they do is sit on the roof and stare at you, then you need to work on trap training them. Get them adjusted to a feeding schedule and a call that you use every time you feed them. For me, I whistle a certain way to my young birds, and if they are hungry, they hit the landing board running to get in and get first dibs on the food. For the old birds, it's the same thing, but I rattle the feed can instead.
Also, always train the birds hungry. That way when they get home, you can easily call them in to eat.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
After every fly call them in right away to eat. Put feed inside the loft that after they have been tossed and become hungry, they will go in right away as a habit.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi YANG, There are a few things that I would like to know.I would also like to see a picture of your loft.How big is your landing board?How far is your training toss? Do you get home before the birds or do they get home before you?When you train your birds do you release them in one large group with hens and cock together? Do you have a dropper? And one more question where are you located?GEORGE;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Yang, I agree with Becky, the only addition is peanut's, ours eat them like sweets, so if they aren't coming in with the corn (if they've been fed a little late the previous evening or a little too much), usually some peanuts hitting the trough makes a distinctive sound and they come flying in!

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
How to you make your racing pigeons come back to their house when they come back from a training toss...?

The reason i'm saying is that when i train my racing pigeon, they come back home but they just sit on top of the roof top of my house and just look down or fly around my house....! Also, i live kind of near the city just kind of...

I need help how to make them go inside their house when they are returning from a training toss...!?
Like kids, you can't make them do anything. You can only make them wish they had done what you wanted. In the case of pigeons, feed is your only control mechanism. If they sit on the loft and don't go in, then they miss supper, or get very slim pickings. So as other posts may have indicated, start controling your feed can, and this problem will soon disappear.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
All posts here very good,but Smith family hit the nail on the head....I will give you a example of what happened the last two days at my loft....Tuesday,I jumped the YB`s out to 65 miles,from a previous long of 40 miles...They did pretty good,so I fed them extra last night..On all training tosses,or loft fly,they land and go in without me even shaking the feed can,or saying anything...Today(Wed),I gave them a 30 mile toss with groups of 5...They were allmost all home before me,and kepted flying for another 20 minutes or so..When they landed,they did not go in,and wanted to pick on the ground,which I will not let them do that,once I start training,and no picking on the ground untill the racing season is over...So you see,I only over fed them one day,and their trapping was bad...You can`t feel sorry for them,just like children,they will take advantage of you and ME....You don`t want them starving,but allways a little hungry is the best way to go.....Alamo

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Start off with 1 tbl spoon of grain per bird 2 times a day. If you are working them hard they may need a little more, or you can let them eat for 8 min, food is the key to controling them or they will control you.
Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts