Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a squab two months ago in Las Vegas, hiding behind flowerpot on concrete patio. It was there the day before and we did not want to disturb it. The next day the poor thing was laying on its side so I scooped it up into a box and brought it inside our 500sf apartment. He/she's now flying and doing acrobatics in the apartment.

Andi eats finch and wild bird seeds mix. I feed Andi a couple of handful of sunflower seeds each day. And as I type this, he just pooped on my arm and is trying to pull out the eraser head on the laptop. Now cooing as I wipe his poop from my arm. He's grown up in the last few weeks, 2x bigger and more independent.

I think it is ready to go but part of me has grown attached to 'Andi'. Vet said bird is a little too thin still and said it is up to me to release Andi or keep him. What are some of your recommendations? I live in an apartment complex and major arterial run on the perimeter. There are pigeons around but apartment just recently put up wires to stop them from resting on the eaves.

Thanks for your feedback.
Nat

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
if you can hang in for the long haul, then I say keep him as he has made you his family, they can be messy in the house, but im sure you know that already, they do sell bird "pants" so that could be an option when he is out. but pigeons are very social and their main drive is to find a mate and have a family so you would have to spend alot of time with him. so If you can do that then he may be happy with that. if not then he needs to go where he can be a pigeon and have a mate and all the things that go along with that.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It sounds like he has become human identified and in the long run, would do better with you. This one could have a hard time finding food and making it on his own. The Pigeon diapers are a great alternative.
We have a member, Lwerden, that may be able to offer another suggestion. I'll have her take a look at you thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Andi is definitely a great addition. Even the rescue chinchillas have accepted him. Definitely he is a great depositor! Am forever stepping on his landmines or feeling it down my back. I go through one t-shirt a day with him. And towels on the couch, chairs and wherever. And everyday have to clean up the apartment before spouse gets home or she'd make me let Andi go! Luckily it is only 500 sf so it takes 5 minutes of vacuuming.

Am thinking when we purchase a home I can build an outdoor coup that he can come and go as he wishes with access into the house through an open window. That way he has choice to hang out at home, find a real mate, kinda like a teenager. Like in movies where they have those pigeon coups on apartment roof tops. Thoughts? Or he'd get lost and not be able to come back?

Nat

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Well...you could make yourself a poop cape.:D I have one. it's just a big collar like thing that overs my shoulders and ties at the neck so that it stays in place. Actually...I have one in red and one in purple.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Pigeons need to be taught by other pigeons to be able to find food. I think Andi, is human imprinted and would have a hard time joining a flock and being able to survive. It sounds like you really enjoy Andi. I'm new at this also, so I would want you to get other advice as well. I know the poop is BIG, and it does take alot of sheets and cleaning, but they really are a joy. I have heard the diapers do work, but I myself haven't tried them. mindy

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hi natcire........ Thank you so much for saving this precious little bird. Also welcome to our forum. I can assure you that you have come to the right place for advice and there will always be some here to help and assist you.

I too have a rescued baby pigeon here in Las Vegas. I have had her since she was three days old. She is now 14 months old and living very happily as a house pet. I too faced the same the very hard decision of either keeping her or setting her free exacly this same time last year. I am so very glad that I decided to keep her as a house pigeon. She is is joy to have as a member of our family, and the thought of her not being with us is just to much to bear.

You bird has now become human imprinted. He has lost his natural fear of humans. Setting him free would probably be a death sentence for him. There are so many humans that do not think kindly of pigeons. Just try and imagine your bird landing in one of these peoples yards and his trusting that they would treat him like you do or that they would feed him. Even if he didn't get harmed by a pigeon hater, he has been hand raised by you, not his parents. He is used to having his food being readily available. He has no idea how to fein for himself or forrage for food. He would propably starve to death. He also has not been taught by his parents to fear his other enemies. He propably has no fear of cats or dogs. He would be easy prey out there on his own.

I know pigeons can create quite a mess in the house, but believe me invest $20 in a custom made pigeon diaper........it's worth it's weighht in gold. Keep his food and water in a cage, make him stay in his cage to eat and to sleep at night.......when you let him out to fly around the house put his diaper on.......no more mess around the house....no more towels on the couch.....he could sit on your shoulder or head all day and no more poops running down your back.........nothing to clean except the cage once a day. Enjoy your bird and eliminate the mess. Trust me it works and you will have a wonderful pet.

In any case, if for any reason decide you can not keep your bird please private message me and I can offer you some alternatives rather than just releasing him.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hi All.............I spoke personally with Nat thismorning. He has absolutely no desire to set his bird free. I put him in touch with Boni/PGWear and he is going to PETCO to get the Kaytee Morning Dove Mix. He currently has the bird in a chincilla cage. The bird has a little nest box filled with straw for it's bed. The bird is totally bonded to him.

After I explained how little of a chance his bird would have out on it's own, he couln't bear the thought of anything happening to hisd Andi.

The bird is totally tame and he spends the entire day interacting with the bird. He really loves and wants to keep Andi as a pet. I believe this is truly a very happy ending to this thread.

In any case he has my both phone numbers and will call me if he needs any assistance or runs into any problems.

Regards to all

·
Registered
777 Posts
"Well...you could make yourself a poop cape. I have one. it's just a big collar like thing that overs my shoulders and ties at the neck so that it stays in place. Actually...I have one in red and one in purple."

We call mine "The Shi__ Shirt"...:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for your advice on Andi. And especially to Louise.

And yes, I placed an order for Andi's diaper this morning. Boni wrote and said she was sewing it so am hoping Andi will have his new apparel this week.

Yes, Andi is going to be house bound until the leash from Boni arrives. Am hoping it is going to be enough restrain to take him out for walks and to pick up mail. Don't worry, I will have him with me 24x7 most the time as I work from home. And have a great bird sitter here in LV...Karen Meirta, www.lasvegasbirdsitter.com. Andi was there last weekend and he had a great time. At least Andi was flying between Karen and I when I went to pick Andi up so am thinking he was comfortable to be there with all the other birds.

Nat

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Well Nat, I hope we hear more from you and about your adventures with Andi...welcome!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I love happy endings. I can't wait for picks with his diaper on him. You did a great job saving him, and your doing a great thing by giving him a forever home. min

·
Registered
813 Posts
"Well...you could make yourself a poop cape. I have one. it's just a big collar like thing that overs my shoulders and ties at the neck so that it stays in place. Actually...I have one in red and one in purple."

We call mine "The Shi__ Shirt"...

ROFLMAO! Now thats funnnnnnnn---nnnnny! I need to FOR SURE get me one of those....

Louise--- GREAT FANTASTIC JOB!

and Nat-- Welcome to the wonderful world of pijies!!!

When you get the pijie pants... All I can tell you is That we had a laugh at trying to get the thing on..:eek: it was utterlly hilarious when I put Willows on for the first time... Man... I have a patient bird... cuz she kept looking up at me like "MOM, what in the WORLD are we doing this for????" I thought I was gonna pee my pants I was laughing so hard...:p So have fun.. and I
P-R-O-M-I-S-E after the first time---- its a piece of cake.... really I promise!;) At least now ,I can say Willow sees me coming with it and instead of running away she comes to me because she knows she gets to cruising around!!!:D

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
"Well...you could make yourself a poop cape. I have one. it's just a big collar like thing that covers my shoulders and ties at the neck so that it stays in place. Actually...I have one in red and one in purple."

We call mine "The Shi__ Shirt"...:eek:
LOL...I've had my poop capes since 1986...love em! The red one is my favorite. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts