Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a few of you may know i have been hand rearing a collared dove, hes now fully weaned (and has been for a while), happy and healthy.....

BUT....

I will be going back to college in 2 weeks, and i worry he will be lonely by himself as i will be out for most of the day so thought he may benefit from a companion.

what are the best companion for collared doves? i have searched for breeders in my area (surrey england) and can't find any who breed CD - also is there any way to find the gender of my bird, as i don't want to get a female if he is male and vice versa! do they get on with different bird species like budgies/canaries etc as this would be easier or is this a big no no?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
As a few of you may know i have been hand rearing a collared dove, hes now fully weaned (and has been for a while), happy and healthy.....

BUT....

I will be going back to college in 2 weeks, and i worry he will be lonely by himself as i will be out for most of the day so thought he may benefit from a companion.

what are the best companion for collared doves? i have searched for breeders in my area (surrey england) and can't find any who breed CD - also is there any way to find the gender of my bird, as i don't want to get a female if he is male and vice versa! do they get on with different bird species like budgies/canaries etc as this would be easier or is this a big no no?
it would be ideal to get another dove. take your time and get a healthy one. if it is the oppisite sex just pull the eggs and replace with dummie eggs. just a little effort to make your dove happy with a friend or mate:)

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Try to locate a ringneck dove for a companion for your bird. It is hard to tell the sex until either an egg shows up or you have the opportunity to observe the bird around other birds of known sexes.

You might want to e-mail Rupert and see if he knows of someone in your area: http://www.rupert-fish.co.uk/interests/dove_breeding/dove_breeders.html

Terry

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hi,

You won't find another collared dove as such as they are a wild bird and wouldn't be bred in captivity. Occassionly sancturies/wildlife centres may get one that may be slightly disabled and it is a possibility that you may be able to rehome one. Or alternatively another species of bird may be OK. Where I volunteer we recently received a Java dove which is a tiny pretty little dove - he could never be released and has been rehomed with a girl who has a pigeon and they both seem to be getting on fine.

Cynthia may know of somewhere/someone too as well.

Tania x

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
And quite often doves will get along happily with another dove of their own sex. Two males or two females will usually get along fine, especially if they're raised together from a somewhat young age. Of course, there are exceptions, but you should be safe with whatever sex you get. ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes, I agree, get another dove and if they end up mating you can pull the eggs.
I believe all animals should be in pairs so they can communicate.
Good luck and well done for helping him/her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts