Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I would really like to hear your opinion on this.
We all know that natural immunity is a wonderful thing, however I am in dilemma right now. My pet pigeon has a tiny trichomoniasis spot on the back of his throat. We are talking 1/3 of grain of rice. I am monitoring situation from Friday. It was first on the cleft on both sides, then gone from one side, and now it is staying stable, not growing or anything. He acts normal, active, eats, drinks etc.

I am very conflicted should I give him metronidazole for 6 days, or should I wait and see can he overcome the disease on his own, which will also mean strengthening his immunity against this parasite.
So, what do you think is better?

Love to everyone. Stay safe.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I would rather wait and boost him with apple cider vinegar in the drinking water and by giving probiotics. Are you sure it is trich? Could be yeast as well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would rather wait and boost him with apple cider vinegar in the drinking water and by giving probiotics. Are you sure it is trich? Could be yeast as well.
Hello. Thank you for the answer. It occurred to me and I am giving him nystatin from day 1. I give tablet but also give some by mouth as liquid so it gets on the affected area. I know it is either that or trichomoniasis, and nystatin could not hurt because it is good even in case of trichomoniasis to reduce the chance that yeast will occur if the crop slows down. But I don't see any improvement and nystatin usually clears yeast deposits very fast - they fall off in a day or two if they get in direct contact with nystatine. However this is more yellow, looks more firm, does not react to nystatin so I think it is trichomoniasis. Also him having yeast would be strange, he is a house pet, was not given any antibiotics recently, food, water - everything is clean, as well as his environment, he can free fly in the whole house, sunbathe on the balcony, has baths, and I always wash hands before I pet him and don't let him peck my mouth.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also just to be clear why I gave nystatine so fast but am taking long to give antibiotic. 1. nystatin is not resorbing in to the body and is working on contact only 2. pigeons carry yeast normally in their crop and overgrowth has to be treated right away because when we see it in the mouth it is usually a tip of the iceberg 3. not treating yeast right away can cause systematic yeast infection (trichomoniasis in mouth must progress much more to become systematic). So I don't fool around with yeast like I would not fool around with bacterial infections also, but trich is a parasite that usually doesn't affect older birds.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Pigeons have natural low levels of yeast, if they're feeling unwell for any reason, they can overgrow. Bacterial infections can also cause white/yellow plaques in the mouth. If it is trich, I would treat it. If it is visible to the naked eye it's a heavy infection. You can find trich microscopically in most pigeons, but I don't treat if they aren't showing clinical symptoms.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I started giving 30 mg metronidazole 3 days ago - today is day 3. He is a smaller bird, around 230g, so 30g is enough.
The white film from the mouth disappeared completely very fast, on day 2.
But when I gave the dose this morning he was all fluffed up after it, tried to vomit but didn't vomit anything. He is eating (saw him picking up corn and he prefders small seeds if he has any issues with digestion) and poops look really good and full, nice dark green, formed, white urates. However he seems a bit off. I know metronidazole can cause nausea and this is why it is given on empty crop, but do you think I can end medicating tomorrow? I've seen course of metronidazole should be at least 5 days, but I really hate to see him suffer and his throat is nice, clean and pink.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts