Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a simple/silly question to you lot,

But I have many times found injured pigeons at the side of the road and taken then to the vets to be put to sleep (not ringed ones). Today I found a one that was not flying, chased it about a busy road for 45 mins in terrible weather - then the bloody thing flew off!! But having said that, before it flew it seemed to be nervous of its wings, then when it flew, it did land near by and started walking about the road aimlessly again (it was ringed if that makes the slightest bit difference).

I've heard people say "oh it'l just be in shock, will fly off again soon" and always thought that to be a fib. But could anyone tell me if this is true?

Any advise would be great,
Many many thanks, Jess

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Why do you have them PTS?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Charis,

I do not personally have then PTS, I live in a city center flat with 2 cats and a dog and am neither equiped to look after birds nor do I know how to look after birds. To me taking then to the vet is the only option I know, I do not take them thir asking them to put them to sleep. I simply could not sleep at night just driving past an animal who was ment to fly but cannot. But like I say after todays experience, I am questioning if I am doing the right thing by picking themup and taking them to the vets.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Often, sick bird can be healed. It's good of you not to just leave them at the side of the road when they are ill.
Tell me, where are you located so that we can help you find some rehabbers or such?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I'm in Newcastle in north east England. Any rehabbers would be fab, I would be there on a regular basis lol!!

But todays exp does make me still wonder - am I doning more harm than good? Should I be just leaving them to get over a shock? I dont know if this makes any difference but this is the first bird I've found injured with a ring on, we have more wild pigeons than sport ones. x

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Welcome, and thank you for trying to help pigeons. What Charis says is very true, that there are extremely few injuries or illnesses that a pigeon cannot recover from. They are some of the most resilient, amazingly fast healers in the animal world. You would be absolutely amazed at some of the stories rehabbers here have told. I'm sure we can find a member or rehabber near you so that in the future you can take any injured ones there, and they can likely be nursed back to health. :)

Since you are a natural "pigeon angel", I think we better get you set up as soon as possible as it seems you may find one any minute!;) It would be great if you have room at home to set up a small "hospital cage" or kennel/carrier for future sick ones, until they can get to a rehabber. You would simply need soft bedding such as a towel, and a small heating pad with low setting, a bag of frozen peas or corn in the freezer, and some antibiotic ointment with some gauze or light bandages.

As for your original question, yes, birds that fly into a window or are nicked by a car can be stunned for a bit before recovering and flying away. It doesn't usually take them more than a few hours to recover, though.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
That ringed bird may have been lost homers that is so exhausted that it can only walk.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It could also be starving and too weak to fly. If a bird accustomed to being in a loft, gets hurt, or is lost, they don't know how to find food on their own. Eventually, sadly, many will starve to death. This one may have been starving and weak. When they get like that, they are generally too weak to fly. But when you chased him, he may have gotten up all his strength to fly away from you. You said he didn't go far. He was probably too weak to fly very far. If this is the case, and he isn't found by somebody, he will get weaker and die. Or sometimes they can be sick. But as was mentioned, sick birds can usually be healed and brought back to good health. By catching them, you are doing the poor bird a great service. But please do not take them to a vet that is going to kill them. Many vets will do this, as they don't treat birds to begin with, and many that do treat birds, don't care all that much about pigeons. That is very sad, as they are wonderful and very smart birds. Keep catching a tired, or injured, or ill bird that badly needs your help, but get them to a rescue who will help them, and bring them back to good health. If there are any in your area, this is a great place to find one. And thank you so much for being the kind of person who will go out of his/her way to help a creature in need. We need more people like you in this world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

You have but my mind at rest, as I was starting to wonder if I was doing more harm than good when that one flew off yesterday. I did go back this morning bet there was no sign of him.

I checked that link and there is no rehabbers near to me. But now I realaise that they could be just shocked/tired I could certainly keep them in my grandad's garage untill they recover (if there is no obvious injury).

Thanks for all your help guys. You may well find me asking advise again once I actually have one.

Keep up the good work. x

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well, good luck to you. And we would be more than happy to hear from you again. You are doing a good thing by trying to help these guys. If we can answer any questions, or help in any way, please ask. Hope to hear from you again.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Jessie,

Welcome on board. Looks like we need to try and locate a rescue centre around your way if you're going to spot these pigeons in need. They could do with your help.

I've just literally come in having picked up a lost racing pigeon I saw wandering along by a road as I was driving by. Seems like we're just honed into spotting them. I pop out to the shops and come back with a pigeon !! :D

I always carry seeds in the car, so just stopped and sat down on the roadside tempting it near with the seeds. You can bet if they're lost they will be hungry, so it was only a matter of time until it got near enough and I could grab it.

Luckily this one has only been lost since Saturday, so is in good shape. Needed a good drink and some food, but is a long way from home.

One thing you must be careful of if you do pick up a banded bird is to check with the owner if they want the bird back and what will happen to it if it is returned. This one had a band on with a message to phone if lost, so I have spoken to the owner and he is very keen to have her home. He was really bothered about her and even told me what her favourite treats were. This isn't always the case as unfortunately there are some owners who will put lost birds down as they aren't much good to them if they can't find their way home, so always check this out first for the bird's sake.

Keep checking in here and if we find a place you can take injured birds to in your area, we will let you know.

Thanks for taking the trouble to ask,

Janet

1 - 13 of 13 Posts