Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i had a bird return today after being tossed a weekago at 50km, the bird has done this distance a handfull of times befor but not from this direction,
the other birds all arived the same day,
this bird is quite beaten up?
eyes are swolen red and closing, beak and face have blood and are red/sore all over, i am guessing a hawk attack but cant be sure,
i have him seperated at the moment
my questions are
1 should i put his partner in with him?
and what treatment/s should i give?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
it is possible he could recover without an anitbiotic, depending on what he was bitten by, if it was a cat or critter of some kind, he could use the antibiotic asap. I usually do not like giving antibios willy nilly, but in this case, since you do not know what attacked him, I would give him a course of it an keep in, with a heating pad, make sure he is eating and drinking, and when he is recoverd he can go out to be with his flock.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Quarantine bird. Make sure is warm, that it has water with electrolytes, enough feed.
Clean wounds with saline solution and use antibiotic ointment on them.
Use wide range antibiotic as clavamox as you don't know what attacked it.
Do not let her mate or any other bird nearby as she need peace and rest.
If you don't have Clavamox, post what you have.
For eyes, use either chamomile tea or coloidal silver and drop couple of drops. Wash them carefully.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Gentamycin drops also work well on eye injuries. And if not Clavamox or some sort of Amoxycillin-based med, Cipro (Baytril) is also a good choice for antibiotic.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I would just get some of that antibiotic avian ointment for eyes or sores on the body--I got mine at a vet office and it worked real good---I think Foys sells something as well that would keep it comfortable for the birdie. Just rest the bird and feed and plenty of fresh water---treat him to some greens--lettuce--kind of spoil him and make sure he eats well and drinks---rest him---And a saline solution to wash his sore areas would not hurt like Plamenh wrote..I would not give him antibiotics at this time internally and just hang out and watch him real careful--Mostly Rest and a pat on the head for a good job..c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
This is just an idea that I do: I have a neti pot and I clean out my sinus with Sinu Cleanse and they come in separate little packages inside a box and they are a real good saline source to clean the wounds--they are natural and soothing--and in a fine texture to where they dissolve well in warm water--convenient and clean each time you use--individual packages---Just a idea for convenience for you to clean your pigeons with a saline solution--clean everything--feet too...c.hert Get at drug store generic....

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Quarantine bird. Make sure is warm, that it has water with electrolytes, enough feed.
Clean wounds with saline solution and use antibiotic ointment on them.
Use wide range antibiotic as clavamox as you don't know what attacked it.
Do not let her mate or any other bird nearby as she need peace and rest.
If you don't have Clavamox, post what you have.
For eyes, use either chamomile tea or coloidal silver and drop couple of drops. Wash them carefully.
I agree, this is best. Not to stress the bird any more, but keep close eye that he is drinking and then that he is eating enough, if not you may need to supplement.

Keep in an area away from noise and drafts of air, and light should be dim for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts