Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted in awhile, but find my doves behaving in a very agressive manner. I have 7 in a 3' x 10' loft with three cages with locking doors at the end of the loft. I have mainly rescue birds: two older white males, a female who I rescued from starvation and neglect, a female I took in from a new owner and handfed and a young white male who has paired with my handfed female. All of these are white doves. In addition, I took in two young brown crossbred birds and handfed them. They are both male as best as I can tell. So I have a total of 5 males and 2 females. I have never has such disharmony. I had to remove the two older white males to the chicken coop as they constantly cooed, raising hell from morning to night over the attention of my handfed female who paired with the younger male. The two brown ones stopped getting along and I removed the smaller of the two after the other one bloodied his head and picked him bald.

Can I mix these around and by careful observation find couples and harmony? I am thinking I need to change the male to female ratio. I also have two of the birds confined in the cages at the end of the loft and would like to let them out to exercise.

Can someone tell form my story things in dove behavior I am overlooking or other tips? Your feedback will be much appreciated.

Zeeknos

·
Registered
84 Posts
Probably, what you can do is separate each bird that behaves improperly for one week, then join them again with the others and if they do it again, quarantine them again until they behave...just my opinion though...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts