Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a commotion and went outside to see my cat fighting with this pigeon. I put the cat inside the house and picked up the pigeon. He was alert but quiet. I had no trouble picking him/her up. I put it in a small box inside a big bird cage I happen to have empty outside. The cage is very large, the kind a large parrot might use. The cat is inside my house so there’s no chance of a second attack.

The bird has a puncture wound right between the wings but not a lot of bleeding. I saw some blood on the edge of its left wing. I don’t want to hurt it by trying to clean it as I do not know how deep the wound might be but considering it was a cat, the wound might be deep. I can see where the skin is open but the wound is not big. I can’t see where exactly the puncture wound is on the wing or how bad it is but it is not bleeding a lot either.

When I went out the second time to get the numbers off its band, it tried to fly, opening up its wings but I settled it down and put it back into the box. I was impressed with its wings though and saw that it looked strong enough to fly though I wouldn’t want it to succumb to its puncture wound while its flying.

I have not offered it any food or water. As of right now, this just happened less than a half hour ago. I went online to the American Racing Pigeon Union as I found out by doing a search that the “AU” on its band identifies it with this organization. I also read on another thread that it is possible to turn the bird over to someone that would be able to care for it, another pigeon enthusiast that could reunite it with its owner after stabilizing it.

I don not want to leave the bird without some care but I have lots to do today. I would like to know what I can do for it right now to give it comfort. I know how to care for cats and dogs, fish, rats, hamsters, rabbits and turtles but I have not kept birds in the past and don’t have too much experience with them. I do have some experience with chickens though and still have some of their feed outside and could also give the pigeon some of the smaller feed from my pet rat.

Thanks for your responses in advance.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
This thread is a double post....

....please reply to yoni_69 thread in the Sick/Injured section, so we don't have two parallel threads going ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts