Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I heard a commotion and went outside to see my cat fighting with this pigeon. I put the cat inside the house and picked up the pigeon. He was alert but quiet. I had no trouble picking him/her up. I put it in a small box inside a big bird cage I happen to have empty outside. The cage is very large, the kind a large parrot might use. The cat is inside my house so there’s no chance of a second attack.

The bird has a puncture wound right between the wings but not a lot of bleeding. I saw some blood on the edge of its left wing. I don’t want to hurt it by trying to clean it as I do not know how deep the wound might be but considering it was a cat, the wound might be deep. I can see where the skin is open but the wound is not big. I can’t see where exactly the puncture wound is on the wing or how bad it is but it is not bleeding a lot either.

When I went out the second time to get the numbers off its band, it tried to fly, opening up its wings but I settled it down and put it back into the box. I was impressed with its wings and saw that it looked strong enough to fly though I wouldn’t want it to succumb to its puncture wound while it's in flight.

I have not offered it any food or water. As of right now, this just happened less than an hour ago. I went online to the American Racing Pigeon Union as I found out by doing a search that the “AU” on its band identifies it with this organization. Another code I saw was "HAV" and the year listed is 2006. I also read on another thread that it is possible to turn the bird over to someone that would be able to care for it, a pigeon enthusiast that could reunite it with its owner after stabilizing it.

I do not want to leave the bird without some care but I have lots to do today. The cat might eventually go back outside and there might not be anyone here to stop it from terrorizing the bird through the bars of the cage. I would like to know what I can do for it right now to give it comfort. I know how to care for cats and dogs, fish, rats, hamsters, rabbits and turtles but I have not kept birds in the past and don’t have too much experience with them. I do have some experience with chickens though and still have some of their feed outside and could also give the pigeon some of the smaller feed from my pet rat.

I live in Palmdale, CA and am about an hour or so north of Los Angeles.
Thanks for your responses in advance.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Hi.

Keep him in a box, inside where he cannot escape. Do NOT release him again. Do NOT leave him outside in the cage; you are correct, a predator can still harm him thru the cage bars, regardless of how close the spacing may be. Can you put him somewhere safe ? Bathroom ? Garage ? etc....

Your cat has opened a wound...the wound will get infected due to a cat's saliva or claws. The pigeon needs antibiotics within 24-36 hours or it will die. Birds cannot fight off an open wound the way mammals can.

Repeat: the pigeon will absolutely die if it does not rec'v proper meds. Please do NOT release it.

I have PM'ed some members in the LA/SoCal area...so we can get you some help. Please keep checking back here.

Thank you for saving him ! That was quick thinking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. I did not know that birds cannot fight off infection from a bite. That explains why when I was little, whenever we got a bird away from a cat, it'd die by the next day. Also, I know that simply when a cat scratches my kids or myself, intentionally, it itches a lot and leaves a little scar. I always have my kids wash the scratch with soap and water and that usually helps.

As for a safe place for it…I have a camper where I can put it. The cats pretty much have full roam of all the rooms in the house and there’s so many people around here, someone will forget and let a cat into a closed room where the bird might be at. I will tell my oldest daughter to keep an eye on it if I have to leave. I will check back here soon. I also uploaded a picture of it, the color and markings of the pigeon I found as my avatar if anyone needs to know what it looks like.

I just went outside to check on the bird. The cat is still inside the house and the bird is okay, quiet and in a corner of the small box.

Unfortunately, I do not have the money to take it to a vet. I try and treat my animals at home unless it is of the utmost importance, like with the Parvo virus dogs get where they need an IV for at least a day. What else can I do for the bird in the mean time?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
you can give him seed and water, he might appreciate some heat also, heating pad under the cage, or a hot water bottle.
hopefully someone in your area will come along soon, were you able to read the entire band?

G

·
Are you sure it is HAV and not HAY? There is no HAV listing. There is however an HAY for 2006:

HAYWARD HPC
Club Code : HAY
Club Secretary : REGINA LEBRUN
City : LIVERMORE
State : CA
Phone No. : 925-454-9005

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to check again and it says: “AU HVC 6254 2006” and it is a red color if that means anything. He is still doing okay and quiet though he gets excited when I pick him/her up. Sorry, don’t know if it’s male or female.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I went online and found out that the pigeon club from the bird's band is called “HIGH VALLEY RACING PIGEON CLUB/HVC” and I live here in the High Desert. I hope I found who the owner is soon. Heck they might live right here in the same town! I am exploring their website right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone here have a number or know someone from that organization I can contact? I will keep looking myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good news…I finally found the local pigeon club and a the phone number for its VP online. It is the High Desert Racing Pigeon Club. I contacted them and they should be here shortly to pick up the bird. Thanks all for the help in its care. Thanks for the help Branden.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I hope they do right with this bird. I hope they just don't kill it because of its wound. Lets hope its a good pigeon club. Ask them when they pick it up. If you don't ask it will bother you and please let me know because it bothers me. thank you. mindy

·
Registered
450 Posts
We will like to know what are they going to do with this bird, I think is a good idea to ask them what are they going to do with him/her? Thanks again for helping this bird.

Ivette

1 - 13 of 13 Posts