Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me what color birds should be mated together to get the color tortishell? If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I know tort is grizzle and bronze. But is it kite bronze or...? I don't remember. But anyways, most importantly you need a grizzle :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a lot of grizzles but i think the best would be a ash red grizzle mated to a kite (bronze) that sounds like it might make the right color. i hope:confused:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Not the best

I have a lot of grizzles but i think the best would be a ash red grizzle mated to a kite (bronze) that sounds like it might make the right color. i hope:confused:
It is best to stay with blue to make torts, I believe. They are just blue, grizzle and bronze. I always thought they had to be t pattern but they don't, I just think they look best if they are. Kite will work but it tends to suppress the grizzle, still they will be torts with little white. I have such birds in my rollers.

Bill

·
Registered
790 Posts
Can someone post a pic of bird considered as Tort? I would love to see what color you are talking about> What is distinct about this color?

Thank Eric

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Here's one in dilute

This is a dilute tort hen, blue, grizzle, probably kite bronze and het for recessieve red. She is also pied which may make her lighter overall.

Bill

Attachments

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
It is best to stay with blue to make torts, I believe. They are just blue, grizzle and bronze. I always thought they had to be t pattern but they don't, I just think they look best if they are. Kite will work but it tends to suppress the grizzle, still they will be torts with little white. I have such birds in my rollers.

Bill
Thanks Bill for posting the picture of the dilute TORT,I have two tort hens (Italian Owls) I have dilute in the Italians but its in check cocks.Will check to see if I have a bared cock that I can use GEORGE;)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Hi Lance

You just need grizzle, blue and bronze, however you can put these together.

Do you have any blue grizzles? If not, what sex is your ash red grizzle?

Bill

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Hi Lance

yes i do have blue grizzle in male and female but my ash red grizzle is a cock.
The reason that I asked is because if the ash red was a hen, you would at least be able to make blue tort hens. Ash red cock, unless split for blue, will make all ash red young.

Just take one of your blue grizzles to a kite and you should have torts, sex doesn't matter, either way works, all will be blue series and varying amonts of bronze from the kite. If any are split for recessive red (as the one that I showed), they tend to show even more bronze.

Bill

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think all the kites i have are split for rr but i dono for sure i will have to mate them next year becasue it is getting late in the season and the only kites i have are all this years young. But thanks for all your help i hope it turns out. Thanks agin, Lance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts