Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Has anyone got experience with tossing young birds SINGLE UP as theire 1st toss?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bezz

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I personally wouldnt single toss young birds on their first toss.
I do that once I know they have made it home as a team from about 30-40 miles out

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally wouldnt single toss young birds on their first toss.
I do that once I know they have made it home as a team from about 30-40 miles out
Thanks, how do you go about doing it?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thanks, how do you go about doing it?
he said he takes a team coming back from 30 or 40 miles BEFORE he takes a single bird out on the road. Im sure how to do it is self explanatory.:) or do you need a link on ideas on how to train young birds?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi all

Has anyone got experience with tossing young birds SINGLE UP as theire 1st toss?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bezz
I personally would not. For the simple reason, one has to build confidence in the bird...My Mother alway's picked me up at school until I knew how to catch the bus!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Make sure the bird has been loft flying and ranging (flying somewhere distant) for about a week or so before taking it out to about a mile away from your loft. Toss it a few times from the same distance then depending on it's performance slowly go further like 3 miles.

It's always better to toss them as a group the first time then single toss after.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure the bird has been loft flying and ranging (flying somewhere distant) for about a week or so before taking it out to about a mile away from your loft. Toss it a few times from the same distance then depending on it's performance slowly go further like 3 miles.

It's always better to toss them as a group the first time then single toss after.
Thanks, this sounds right.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

It's always better to toss them as a group because a single bird is easy prey. The more eyes watching for hawks while flying the better. I never do single tosses but I will narrow my tosses down to three birds. I also switch out the birds so different birds fly together. I try to put at least one experienced bird with two young ones. I never fly a pair together. Last, I space the groups of three 15 minutes apart. I only group down to three after the young birds can fly back from ten miles, all directions in a short time, (before I get home.) This helps to ensure each bird is homing and not playing follow the leader.

·
Registered
60 Posts
No problems with single tossing a yb. Just make sure they've been flying around the loft for a week or more, at least, to build strength and get to know their home. The more times they've been in the air around the loft, the better, of course. Go maybe 10 miles the first time. No reason to start off 1,2,3,4 miles, etc.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Nothing against windaidedaviary, but I think you should follow what Big T has said. He seems to have more experience and he really knows his stuff when it comes to pigeons. I have learned allot from reading his threads. Like what others have said, a singe bird is more likely to get caught by a hawk, than if it was tossed with other birds. mindy

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing against windaidedaviary, but I think you should follow what Big T has said. He seems to have more experience and he really knows his stuff when it comes to pigeons. I have learned allot from reading his threads. Like what others have said, a singe bird is more likely to get caught by a hawk, than if it was tossed with other birds. mindy
Hi Mindy

I understand your concern about HAWKS taking out the single bird.
Fortunately, here where i stay in South Africa there are no Hawks.

Bezz

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No problems with single tossing a yb. Just make sure they've been flying around the loft for a week or more, at least, to build strength and get to know their home. The more times they've been in the air around the loft, the better, of course. Go maybe 10 miles the first time. No reason to start off 1,2,3,4 miles, etc.
Thanks for the info!
I wil try it.

Bezz

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Bezz, there are NO raptors in South Africa? The pigeon doesn't have any bird that can kill them in South Africa? mindy

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Goshawks, Hawks And Kites The Medium-Sized South African Birds Of Prey

The Goshawk, Hawk And Kite Raptor Community
The Goshawks, Hawks and Kites are some of the more frequently seen birds of prey in South Africa and are very attractive sights. These raptors have amazing hunting capabilities and I have had a few memorable sightings over the years of kites and Goshawks hunting. Just to let you know the Black Kite and the Yellow-Billed Kite are subspecies of each other and of the Milvus species. Under this paragraph is a list and information on all the South African region's Goshawks, Hawks and Kites.

Southern Pale Chanting Goshawk

Dark Chanting Goshawk

Black Kite

Yellow-Billed Kite

Black-Shouldered Kite

African Cuckoo Hawk

Gabar Goshawk

African Goshawk

Bat Hawk

Shikra (Little Banded Goshawk)

AND ALSO

Pygmy Falcon

Lanner Falcon

Peregrine Falcon

Red-Necked Falcon

Eleonora's Falcon

Sooty Falcon

Dickinson's Kestrel

Amur (Eastern Red-Footed) Falcon

(Western) Red-Footed Falcon

Lesser Kestrel

Rock Kestrel

Greater Kestrel

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You have this many different kinds of Hawks and Falcons and you want to toss one pigeon at a time. Well I wouldn't expect it coming back to the loft if I was you. I hope you reconsider if you care at all about your birds. Amazing Spirit wings what you just posted, thank you. mindy

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
You have this many different kinds of Hawks and Falcons and you want to toss one pigeon at a time. Well I wouldn't expect it coming back to the loft if I was you. I hope you reconsider if you care at all about your birds. Amazing Spirit wings what you just posted, thank you. mindy
yes I agree, why put the young at risk? you can always single toss when they are mature and fit and savvy. but when it comes to racing homers...each seem to have their own logic for one reason or another...not sure what this one is though..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you read my post correctly, WHERE I STAY
there are no raptors or whatever bird of prey.
I had pigeons since 1983 and never saw or heared of a pigeon being hit or taken by a bird of pray in my club,devision or union.;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes I agree, why put the young at risk? you can always single toss when they are mature and fit and savvy. but when it comes to racing homers...each seem to have their own logic for one reason or another...not sure what this one is though..
that is exactly why i thought of single tossing them from the beginning, so that they learn on theire own.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts