Pigeon-Talk banner

Tough lilltle squab

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Jay3 
#1 · (Edited)
This afternoon, about 4:30, I fed my Rollers as usual and checked on two newly hatched suabs. One was missing and I quickly found it lying cold and still on the loft floor beneath the nest. I picked it up and it was very cold. The high today was about 45 degrees. The bird did not move although I massaged it and stimulated its breast with my fingers. Rigormortis had not set in but it looked very dead to me, absolutely no movement. Knowing how resilient a young squab can be, instead of disposing of it I placed it back in the nest next to its sibling, and figured if it has a speck of life in it that it just might recover and the best place would be under mom or dad. I returned to the loft about three hours later, gently brushed mom and all her pecking and wing slapping aside, and to my surprise there the little sucker was sitting up with his head up like nothing had happened. His mothers warmth had brought him from near death. The moral of the story is; they ain't necessarily dead just because they appear cold and lifeless. Just thought I'd share this experience.

#2 ·
Wow...amazing. Nice job.

Another alternative would have been placing in a brooder or incubator or on a heat pad w/ covering. It is good that Mom decided to sit him/her again, as opposed to just dumping him out.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.