Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my remaining 5 are flying a little now, but they want to come back in the coop pretty quick. When I let them out, the usually immediately trap themselves thinking I have already put the food down. They will eventually come back out and fly for a few minutes before re-trapping. I am feeding them 1oz/bird + when they go back in. Can I start tossing them from short distances to get them flying or should I just continue to loft fly them? I have read many old posts, but it is just hard to find the answers to my specific circumstances. Thank y'all so much for helping me get my birds flying. I am already wanting to get some white homers for wedding releases. There are many wedding facilities in the area that I'm sure I could contract with.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
No tossing yet. They are not yet confident so don't force them. They go inside right away if they are too hungry. Or they get certain clue like you go inside the loft thinking that you are putting some food. Usually you release them before their usual feed time. So let us say that you usually feed them around 6 pm, then you release them around 5 pm. Let them explore. If you find they are doing something bad, then you call them in for their food. You do that if you want them to fly for 1 hour (if they will fly that long). I am letting my birds fly for around 30 minutes so I release them 30 minutes earlier, clean the loft and call them in.

Young birds will be scared at first. It may even take them 1 week before they will make 1 full circle around your loft. Some will do thing right away. It just depends on the bird and their age. The word here is not forcing them. You can either up their feed to 1.4 ounces and see if any change in results. Make it 1.5 ounces if you need to, but that could be too much. What you are trying to figure out is whether they are too hungry that they wont fly more or too much feed that they wont fly. Feeding quantity is the most difficult to gauge. You can also add that these are new birds, too. So for now be patient. Just to let you know that it took one of my babies 2 weeks being out before circling while other babies took less than 1 week. And I have this crazy baby that scared me when it went ranging with my old birds--bad decision on my part. I am glad it came back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feed around 8:30 AM so I usually fly around 7:45 - 8:00, but they fly for a few minutes and then land on the loft and wait for me to put down feed and open the trap. Then it is a race to get inside.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I know usually it is a case of overfeeding, but do you think your birds might be too hungry-that they want to get inside and eat right away?

What are you feeding the birds? Are your birds in tip top health? Are they not yet confident of their surroundings or are there preditors nearby? These might also be factors.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
How old are these birds? Mine usually aren't ready to road train until they are 4 months old or so. They need a lot of time around the loft just getting used to their surroundings. Wait until they are flying around the loft on their own. If they still don't want to route and they are 5 months old or so, then you can start releasing them within sight of the loft. Do this for several releases, I would say 8-10. Then release them just out of sight of the loft. Do this several times. This is where you will losses birds if you are going to loose them. They will either start routing or they will be lost.

Once you have gone just out of sight of the loft several times then go a half mile down the road and do that several times. Then you can start stretching the distance out. I know this sounds very conservative and perhaps it is, but you will find yourself loosing a lot of birds if you go too far too soon.

Just my thoughts

Dan

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
First, how old are your birds and what type do you have (homers, rollers, etc..)?

Assuming you have homers....If your birds are not making rounds around the loft then road training is not even an option. Your birds are either to young or are not being fed enough if they trap as soon as you put feed down. Don't get me wrong, you want your birds to trap right away but trapping after only a few minutes of flying gives the impression that your birds are not getting enough to eat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try upping the food a little. The birds are still only a few months old. I am not sure how old they were when I got them, but I know they were just feathering out and had never been flown. I have had them since mother's day so I guess about a month. They seem to fly well, just not for long. I will be patient with them and give them time.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I will try upping the food a little. The birds are still only a few months old. I am not sure how old they were when I got them, but I know they were just feathering out and had never been flown. I have had them since mother's day so I guess about a month. They seem to fly well, just not for long. I will be patient with them and give them time.
Keep us posted my friend!

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi RAPIDFIRE, You have had these birds for about 4 weeks. If these birds were 4 weeks old when you got and have had them for4 weeks that would make them around 8weeks old.These birds are to young for road traing at this time,and you say that they make shorts flights around the loft.they must be flying for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour or longer before you road train.When your birds have been routing or ranging that is they leave the area of the loft and are out of sight for around 15 to 20 minutes and suddenly buzz your loft at a low height and then disappear for 15 or 20 minutes these birds are ranging and now you can think about road training............Your bird now are a still a long way for being ready for road training The major mistake that most novices make is road training their to soon.Right now your birds are testing their wings. when they feel ready they will explode off the loft, healthy young birds love to fly. Now that brings up another question have you medicated these birds since you got them? Have you wormed them and treated for canker?These are two things that you should have done while they were being trap trained. There is one other thing I would like to know in what part of the country do you live and are you rual or city. George;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am in Georgia, USA. I am very close to several small cities, but I live in an area that is sort of rural metro. I have not medicated. The gentleman I got them from graduated UGA with a poultry science major 40+ years ago and was a vet for the last 30+ years. He only messes with medication if they are sick. I am so intrigued by their flight. I am like a kid that wants them to just magically take to the air like fighter pilots.:eek:

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi RAPID FIRE, How close are you to CATON,GA. LEARING lives there he seems to be the closet to you and could be the one that could help you most. He is curently in a racing club and I would say could well be the best one to help you, check with him,you can't go wrong. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I am in Georgia, USA. I am very close to several small cities, but I live in an area that is sort of rural metro. I have not medicated. The gentleman I got them from graduated UGA with a poultry science major 40+ years ago and was a vet for the last 30+ years. He only messes with medication if they are sick. I am so intrigued by their flight. I am like a kid that wants them to just magically take to the air like fighter pilots.:eek:
Hey RapidFire,

I am in Canton, about an hour from Athens. Let me know where you are and if I can help. I will do what I can.

Dan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am in Powder Springs. Only about an hour from Canton. I have a really busy month ahead of me, but when things settle down, I wouldn't mind driving up to meet you and take a look at how you do things. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
96 Posts
trapping

what about if it takes your birds forever to trap even if their hungry. I have that problem but they always come back at sundown what should i do these birds are young maybe 4 to 5 months old. They will fly to the ground on my loft do a couple of circles in the sky around the loft then fly to a tree that i have in my yard. Some times i feel like i want to cut the tree down but it is a nice tree and it gives some of my yard nice shade to sit under. Even when i shake my can of feed they won't come in right away.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I am in Powder Springs. Only about an hour from Canton. I have a really busy month ahead of me, but when things settle down, I wouldn't mind driving up to meet you and take a look at how you do things. Thanks, Mark
Hi rapid fire,

I'm between you and Dan in Kennesaw. If I can be of help with general care let me know, but if it is about racing, I'll go with you to Dan's House. The man is smart and knows his stuff and he is a teacher.

God Bless,
Tony

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
what about if it takes your birds forever to trap even if their hungry. I have that problem but they always come back at sundown what should i do these birds are young maybe 4 to 5 months old. They will fly to the ground on my loft do a couple of circles in the sky around the loft then fly to a tree that i have in my yard. Some times i feel like i want to cut the tree down but it is a nice tree and it gives some of my yard nice shade to sit under. Even when i shake my can of feed they won't come in right away.
These birds are Not hungry. I do not feed my birds in the morning that I am going to fly them, When I get home from work I release them and let them fly for about 30 minutes to an hour or two before I ring the cow bell. If the birds are within hearing they trap. If they are out ranging I wait 10 to 15 minutes and ring again, they trap.

I also only feed my birds for about ten minutes. They can eat until they are full but I only have the food out for a short lenght of time. Birds that do not trap do not eat. All the birds that do trap once they eat I remove any leftovers.

As for training young birds, When weaned from the nest I catch them in the loft and carry them around the outside of the loft and release them back into the loft thru the trap. After I do all the young ones, I ring the bell and feed all the birds. I do this for a little over a week. This imprints the trap and the bell with food. The older birds are out flying during this time but trap when I ring the bell. This just imforces the imprint.

After that I watch for the young birds to fly out of the loft on their own when I open the trap and to trap back into the loft on their own when I feed them. This can take up to a month or two but their wings are getting stronger as they learn. I do not force this they will go on their own when they are ready.

Once I know they know where the loft and trap are I will catch them and do what Dan said. I sit the carrier down within sight of the loft and wait about ten minutes and release them. Then go and ring the bell and feed the birds. I do this two, three times a week. Here I am trying to imprint release-trap-food. Other times I release from the loft I let them fly for some time before I ring the bell and feed them. But anytime I release the birds from a carrier I trap and feed right then. I release in sight but from the north, then west, then south, then east side of the loft.

Once they are good at trapping, I move to just out of sight of the loft, (like Dan). Here the neighborhood kids help. I set the carrier down and have a kid wait by it until I walk back to the loft. When he hears me ring the bell he releases the birds and they fly home. they are only about 100 yards from the loft and can hear the bell so they come. Here I added the release by strangers to the release-trap-food imprint. Also, I have notice, it is during this time in the training when the young birds will start ranging when I let them loft fly.

Food is the main motivator so I do not feed my birds at any set time. If I am Not going to fly them I will feed them in the morning go have my coffee then come back and remove any leftovers. If I plan to train or fly I do not feed them until after they fly that day. Sometimes plans change so I feed them when I get home from work and do not fly them. Sometimes I can come home for lunch so I'll feed them then. The point is to not become a creature of habbit, or the birds will learn you and ajust to your habbits and not the training.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I am already wanting to get some white homers for wedding releases. There are many wedding facilities in the area that I'm sure I could contract with.
If you really want whites, neighbor, that is what I have.

Tony

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Boy is it a small world. I taught for nine years at South Cobb High School right there in Austell! I have spent many a day at McEachern at football games, contests, etc.

You really could get to my house in a little over 30 minutes from Powder Springs. I am actually quite a bit south of Canton, closer to Holly Springs. I just have a Canton address. As he said, Tony is right there close to you. I would love to have you come up any time. Just let me know ahead of time so I can roll out the old red carpet!

Dan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't really care to get into racing as I already have too many hobbies, but I am very interested in learning about pigeons. Tony, where are you in Kennesaw? I have worked in the Acworth/Kennesaw area for the last 5 or so years. I will try to get with both of you when things ease up a little. Is there a market for pigeon releases or does everyone just want doves?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I don't really care to get into racing as I already have too many hobbies, but I am very interested in learning about pigeons. Tony, where are you in Kennesaw? I have worked in the Acworth/Kennesaw area for the last 5 or so years. I will try to get with both of you when things ease up a little. Is there a market for pigeon releases or does everyone just want doves?
The dove release business is a pretty saturated market, at least in this area. I know of several people that are into it. They have a tough time making it into a full time job. Most of the people that I know do it as a side job. It is a lot of time and effort but the people that do it seem to enjoy it. If you need more info on the dove release side of things I can get you in touch with a guy in Marietta that has an extensive business.

Dan

1 - 20 of 34 Posts