Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a few good training tosses over the last few days out to about 2 miles they have always come home but it can take over a hour to get back, I pposted on here before on how many times a day I can toss them but are you not suppose to feed them every time they go in there loft? and I would also like to know how far to advance them on distance without loosing them thanks for the help

·
Registered
288 Posts
You Dont Want To Toss Them Too Many Times,that Will Stress Them Out Specially Young Birds,may Be They Are Taking An Hr From Two Miles Because They Maybe Overflying Yhe Loft Concidering They Are In Good Health And Were Flying Around The Loft For At Least 1 Hr.i Allways Started Them About 8 To 10 Mls But That Was Me There Are Manny Roads To Rome,someone Else Will Come Along And Share Some More Info,good Luck.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
If they are Homing Pigeons---
And they fly around the loft for an hour or more --then they will fly an hour before thinking about trapping.
I'd start doubling the miles.
You know they can fly for an hour or more---so up to 20 miles is nothing for them.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The OP never said how long the birds flew around the loft when they loft flew them so you can't say jump them not knowing how much experience the birds actually have. They may be taking an hour to get home becasue they don't know where they are or they could be overflying or just messing around it all depends on the condition of the birds. My birds never loft fly I can't get them to take off for anything they just look at me like I'm an idiot when I try to spook them up with the flag on the long bamboo pole. So I take it slow with them until I get them out to 5 miles I'll give them 15 to 20 tosses shorter then 5 miles and when I see they've got the idea I start jumping them. The one team I'm pushing fater then I normally would just to get them in the race next week were only coming home from 1/4 mile on monday and today I had them to my 16 mile spot then my 25 mile spot. So be it there was alot of tosses between Monday and today since they were going 3 times a day. But I'll go 4 times a day to my 25 mile spot when I'm getting birds ready for a big race. I figure the other guys are going 100 miles on wednesdays my bird do the same 100 miles they just have a lil break between each 25 mile toss.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I did another toss today in a little differnt direction and now only one of my two birds I have been tossing has come home I hope its ok and not hawk bait, is it possable that they just got seperated and he will come back?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well I did another toss today in a little differnt direction and now only one of my two birds I have been tossing has come home I hope its ok and not hawk bait, is it possable that they just got seperated and he will come back?
Are you wanting to race these homing pigeons?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont think I could race them I enjoy watching them fly but I have not had much luck lost a few and had one come back injured fixed him up he has been good and the other one that I toss him with has been good till today my trouble is I just wait and wait for them to come back its a love hate type thing hope I can get a half dozen that will come back from about 30 miles I am trying

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I dont think I could race them I enjoy watching them fly but I have not had much luck lost a few and had one come back injured fixed him up he has been good and the other one that I toss him with has been good till today my trouble is I just wait and wait for them to come back its a love hate type thing hope I can get a half dozen that will come back from about 30 miles I am trying
if you like watching them fly.. then all they need to do is be let out and fly.. why risk road training if your not racing.. esp with only two birds.. I would get a kit of young birds and settled them to your loft then loft fly them for your ejoyment... they do better in a large flock..esp against hawks...better safty in numbers.. then sit back and relax and watch them and dump the road training.. JMO

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I first got them for dog training so they come home but I do enjoy them more than I thought I would, and I have the two birds or now one that have been road training out to about three miles, I also have four others that are still loft flying and another four white birds that are just loft flying as well they have only been out twice

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Well I first got them for dog training so they come home but I do enjoy them more than I thought I would, and I have the two birds or now one that have been road training out to about three miles, I also have four others that are still loft flying and another four white birds that are just loft flying as well they have only been out twice
you need to let the flock fly toghther at your place for awhile ..a few months maybe...then when they are strong and flying as a group venturing out take all of them down the road together.. you have to go by their readienss not yours..so in time they will be a flock to fly together and take down the road together. seems like allot of trouble just for dog training..jmo...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I had been buying birds just barn birds for 8$ a bird so it gets to spendy to just t
let them fly off, so its worth it to me and if I can there is a bird club around here I could fly them with its just hard when you dont know anyone or are new to this sport finding the right info and how to do it

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Well I had been buying birds just barn birds for 8$ a bird so it gets to spendy to just t
let them fly off, so its worth it to me and if I can there is a bird club around here I could fly them with its just hard when you dont know anyone or are new to this sport finding the right info and how to do it
well the thing is a good homing pigeon will home..they do not have to be trained to do it..just in shape to do the distance to get home..so loft flying the birds gets them in shape.. and so does the road training..your just forcing them to fly with the latter, ..they arleady have that programed in to home to their loft.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh well thats a good way to put it, I just checked outside I have my four new birds sitting on my house relaxing all others went back in the loft the other white bird is still MIA

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If you fly birds you will have MIA'S..most return if they can.. another good reason to fly them together..and don't over feed them when you let them out.. a full bird does not fly much.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I do think they have been eating to much, I have read one oz per bird is that in weight or volume?
you can measure if you want..or just time it.. put some food down wait 10 mins.. then take it up.. or some wait for the first few birds to go get a drink and then take it up.. just make sure with that there is enough room at the feeder for everyone... if you call your birds to come in the loft and they go in fast then your feeding about right.. usually I just go by how they act.. crazy starving is not good either..but quick and come right down to the feeder withoug hesitating is just about right... just have to back off the feed till they get to that point..sometimes it takes a few days to get it right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will try that I rattle my can and nothing has been happening so I know they are full I better back off a lot

1 - 19 of 19 Posts