Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1 month old homer - due to some unfortunate incidents, he is left without parents. its my first attenpt at raising pigeons. i'm at square one. what should i do with him? he doesnt want to leave the nest yet so what should i expect? when should i start letting him out to fly? how should i train him so?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
You shouldn't even think of training him until he is fully weaned and able to fly well within the coop. Once he is weaned, which should be soon you can place him with other youngsters his age and trap train him as well as whistle train him.

What happened to the parents?

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You shouldn't even think of training him until he is fully weaned and able to fly well within the coop. Once he is weaned, which should be soon you can place him with other youngsters his age and trap train him as well as whistle train him.

What happened to the parents?
went on vacation over labor day weekend and water ranned out on them.:confused: the surviving baby has forced to wean itself already at 3 weeks old. 1 month now, i think he is fully feathered... but he don't want to leave the nesting erea??? i guess i'm just anxious to when he will fly around.:p when will his homing instint start working?

·
Registered
71 Posts
went on vacation over labor day weekend and water ranned out on them.:confused: the surviving baby has forced to wean itself already at 3 weeks old. 1 month now, i think he is fully feathered... but he don't want to leave the nesting erea??? i guess i'm just anxious to when he will fly around.:p when will his homing instint start working?
Maybe the baby is unhealthy by now so he/she need to recover a lot in able to make this young bird fly.. Any miss feeding will stunt their growth and it is very unhealthy for both parents and babies..

·
Registered
137 Posts
make sure it eats well and gets water , he should fly when he ready dont push him or you could hurt him

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
How did the bird loose his parents?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I was wondering the samething. What happen to the parents. The poor baby probably is waiting for its parents. AND how long has the baby been without its parents??? min

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
This is what happend to the parents....I will be quiet now.:mad: grrrr

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Im a she...Im sorry your birds had to die a slow and painful death...I just can't understand how that could happen...I hope it does'nt again...oh well so much for being quiet..
Just like a woman, you tried, but I have learned with two daughters and a wife I find that women are always going to have the last word. I think it is in the genes,LOL. I find that the ONLY time I get in the last word is when I say, "Your right."

God Bless and keep talking cause I'm listening,
Tony

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Maybe I'm a little slow, but when I don't understand something I have to ask until I do understand. You say you went on vacation Labor Day weekend and they ran out of water to drink? Is that what I'm reading? If you were gone only the weekend, can birds die without water in 3 days? I mean I'm sure they had water the day you left right? I really don't know how something like this could happen. STUPID!!! Careless!!! AWFUL!!!With a username as Sinister, I'm curious why would you choose that word, meaning is EVIL, wicked, threatening. Of all the words in the english language, you pick sinister. And then something so sinister happened to the parents. If I'm reading this all wrong, then I apologize and please correct me.
I can't stay quiet about it, Its plan animal abuse PERIOD!!! If people have animals, then you take every precaution possible that they are taken care of, either that, DON'T GO ON VACATION!!!

Even when I just go to work, ALL my pets have numerous water containers just in case one tips over. YES, I'm upset by this. I keep 3 containers of water in my chicken coups, every chicken coup and I have 5 coups and I'm never gone for 7 hours at a time, and haven't had a vacation in 15 years, my animals are my vacation. Mindy

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's not animal abuse. It appears to be an accident- and yes you do have to read a bit into it to get that from it, but not nearly as much some of you folks are reading into it. . Reading his 16 posts he's made since joining shows you that he is new and inexperienced and young. Young folks make mistakes, don't plan for all the possiblities, etc etc and pick screen names that aren't mainstream or appear to be counterculture. With age comes experience and wisdom. Bad situation on his end we don't need to make it worse perhaps someone with more experience than I could constructively offer some suggestions for the next time he needs to be away from his birds and help him with his original question. Keystonepaul

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
There wasn't to much said about the situation, I mean Charis and I actually overlooked when he first mentioned it. I would like to know how many birds died? I did read all of his 16 post, I realize he probably is young and maybe I was alittle harsh, but I would like to know more of the story. How long they were left unattended, and how many died. Do you still have the red ones?

Keystonepaul, your a new member also, but it seems you have experience and wisdom.

As far as the screen name, you know what they say, first impressions are everything, and since I only have a screen name to go by thats the only impression I have to make. min

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
What do yo mean its a freakin pigeon breed for food????So your saying its alright that they had to die in that manner? Is that what your raising your pigeons for, FOOD? That is the worst statement you could possible make, are you kidding me????

For you to make that statement you haven't learned anything. mindy

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Your pigeons need a different life, because obviosly you aren't capable to take care of them. I have a life. You need to grow up and learn before taking care of pigeons.SINISTER!!! Did you enjoy your vacation??? mindy

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what i was saying was they could of been worst off. at least i gave them a chance. i have better things to do them sit here on this forum. later...mindy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts