Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told an read in a couple place you dont train birds early 6-8 weeks before racing season starts is when your suppose to train so they will be in peak condition if you over work them they mature to fast an fly slower... True or false? The plan was to have them out real far before the first race....Should I stop an wait?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I was told an read in a couple place you dont train birds early 6-8 weeks before racing season starts is when your suppose to train so they will be in peak condition if you over work them they mature to fast an fly slower... True or false? The plan was to have them out real far before the first race....Should I stop an wait?

I would tell you to train them out NOW! But, only to about 30 miles and only once or twice a week. Then when you have four weeks to the first race start training them out farther and more often. You may want to get them out to 60 miles or so but they only need a toss or two from that distance. Maybe the last two saturdays before the first race and the other tosses during the week from around that 35 miles point. They sould be up to a total of 4 or 5 tosses per week the last few weeks before the races start. This will build them up and get them into racing condition. You want them to be just coming into condition when you start racing.

Ace

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
The more I read about toss and loft flying the more I am confused now. Apparently the Belgians don't do much toss. They just let them loft fly morning (1+ hour) and evening (1+ hour). They make take them on toss, but that is just to familiarize them. They don't toss to condition the bird. They loft fly to condition them. But then again it seems that everyone has different ways of training.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
The more I read about toss and loft flying the more I am confused now. Apparently the Belgians don't do much toss. They just let them loft fly morning (1+ hour) and evening (1+ hour). They make take them on toss, but that is just to familiarize them. They don't toss to condition the bird. They loft fly to condition them. But then again it seems that everyone has different ways of training.
We have a guy in our combine in poor health, and so the first time his team sees the inside of a pigeon crate is on shipping night, and he beats 85 % of the Combine. When I was a kid, maybe six tosses up to 10 miles was the extent of our road work. Personally, I never understood how a hour training toss workout was worth more then 2+ hours of loft flying, but that is me. If your birds don't fly around the loft, or if you are one of those lofts which need to force your birds to loft fly, then perhaps your hands are tied. But, I also think that if birds fly for 15 minutes or so and then want to sit on the roof, then that just might be an indication that not all is well....:rolleyes: I know one year I recorded in excess of 65 training tosses, and that was work....the following year, I did more loft flying and reduced the road work by about 20 tosses, and the birds did better. Being a bit on the lazy side, I don't see the point in a "lot" of road work if the birds are flying good around the loft. When I had them up and flying, in some cases 2.5 hours at a time, it just seemed counterproductive to go to the work and trouble, and danger of say a little 55 mile toss, for an hour and some minutes work out. But, then I am not all that motivated to be concerned about it either way. I use my local races as an indication of my breeding ability, and not my loft management and training skills. I already know there are better lofts, better locations, and better loft managers then me, that is a given. I want to have birds that can win, in spite having me as their owner, and not because of my skill as a handler. So, take what I say with a grain of salt.....:p

·
Registered
628 Posts
You will get as many different answers to this as you have replies. I personally have found that my birds performed better when I road trained no more than 30-35 miles every Tue Wed Thurs and only a couple of weeks before the first race. After that they were only trained on Tue and Thursday at 30 miles. My birds do get 2-3 hours of loft flying every day but race day. I never forced my birds that raced sunday to go out on Monday but never locked them up either. I do believe a handler can "overtrain" his birds and wear them down. My road training was always on the line of flight for Yb's and varied by 10 miles right or left of the line.
Bottom line is you have to find out what will work with your schedule and stick to it, dont keep changing your schedule or routine with the birds. Change stresses them out and they wont perform to their best.
Ken

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Because of my utter confusion this year I haven't toss my birds yet! I just let them loft fly, although I am planning to toss some birds that are too lazy to fly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As of now I've been doing more loft flying Early morning flies around sun up. They fly 45 mins to 1:15 I dont push them. Im going to go with the building up there endurance around the loft first before taking them out on tosses

·
Registered
393 Posts
I actualy agree with you Warren. A case in point, when I flew in England. We used to have a trainer truck, come pick up the bird's and take them 30 mile's out. It turned out he only took them 12 mile's...until he got caught!
But we sent our bird's over the channel, thinking they had "good" training. And I guess they did at 12 mile's.
In my opinion "training" is over done. Nobody ever mention's rest?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
We have a guy in our club that trains his birds like crazy. I mean 60-70 miles 3 times a week sometimes more and he will even toss them 20 miles the day of shipping. He does this all year through the races and everything. He is pretty good at the sprint races but once we pass 200 miles he is done. He can't even get birds in the clock sometimes and never hits in our money races. People even tell him to not train so hard but he does not listen. This real old guy in our club told me once all the races under 200 are just popcorn anyway nobody will even remember who won them after the year is over. I just thought that was a funny saying and I was thinking I still want to win sprint races. ;)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Training and rest go hand and hand, There is a fine line of enough, or not enough. I flew mostly HVR's, The More i tossed them the the better they got. It was not the distance, JUST the experience. CONFIDENCE is only taught by Tossing.
To me, AND i will say it again, Training is about giving your Birds Experience, and Confidence. NOT Exercise.
The well bred bird, BUT Trained, WITH Confidence, and Experience will Beat a bird with even better Blood, HANDS down.
The main thing i am seeing here is most Flyers train like their Club Members do, SO you are not doing your Birds justice... JMHO. Dave

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
This is just a thought, If we teach our birds the local area in a 50 mile radius with training tosses, they also learn the local hangouts, great pond to bathe in, good grass seed in this field, nice hen under bridge over lake. So maybe, just maybe, a short stop on race day before heading home. Just a thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts