Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my yb's on a couple of short training tosses the first 1 mile out then the next 2 miles out. Then tues I took them to 5 miles; Thursday was 6 and this morning we let out at 11 miles. No losses still at 19 I know it was 20 but he was lost during loft fly. I plan on now releasing from this point at least 2-3 more times with a small group toss. Then I will release from my job (21 miles)which also is along our clubs race route. The first race is sept 9th so I might make it might not. I also plan to go to race season schedule as far as letting them fly tommorrow then: rest sunday /mon toss / wed toss /thur loft fly/friday rest /sat toss.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Wow- that is awesome Nomad. I kinda missed racing season here.....birds too young- and no clock yet. Just as well, as it has been a bad racing year around here. So, just been training, and after mt 4th training toss became a hawk attack, I have just been loft flying 3-4 birds- one isn't into it anymore, and I am not gonna force the issue since I originally lost her to being strong on the wing- and she came home when the 5 I was flying at that point -after being gone for 2 months. She likes the loft better than the freedom. Another is still recovering from being grabbed by the hawk- and one never made it back. :-( .

So, I have the 2 little guys just a month old, and I figure they can get them started on some loft flying, and then I'll resume tosses at some point.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my numbers have decreased dramatically down to 5 so I will still race. My birds started at 3-4 months so the only thing I see may have happened to young. but they were loft flying staying out of site for at least hour and a half. Birds I have left are out to 31 will be doing a toss from at least 50 miles and ??70 miles ?? before race day!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Wow that's tough. Sorry to hear you lost so many. Good to hear you are still going with what you have. Keep it up. I hope they do well.

·
Registered
810 Posts
They weren't too young, if anything too old. A 3 month old bird is capable of flying a 300 mile yb race when trained properly.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They weren't too young, if anything too old. A 3 month old bird is capable of flying a 300 mile yb race when trained properly.
Well lets see I made sure they were loft flying and routing for about a month or so then I took them out on the road. a 3 month bird is probably capable. most people loft fly for about 2 months then take on the road that means the bird is at least 5-6 months old most ybs in races are almost 8-9 month range.

So what is properly Trained Sir?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Wow- I am so confused- I had no idea people loft flew for that long before road training.:confused: PT is my only source of training tips though....So, I am winging it a lot.

The birds I am flying now are around 3 months old, I got them at a month old, trained them to trap, loft flew them, and they were on the road at maybe 2 1/2 months old? Not far....but they made it home with ease. They had been routing for about a week or more, so I figured some tosses would be good. Actually, they would come home from the toss, then leave to route or loft fly more-lol.

My bad toss with the hawk could have been avoided if I had been thinking like a bird- In all human respects it was a good toss- just a little more weather than the birds were used to - cloudy and windy- get them used to the fact that it usually rains in WA. Anyway, I tossed them from my Tech School, not realizing/thinking at the time that for them the logical way to come home would be to follow the path of the ravine behind my school that has a little salmon stream that goes to the park I live next to. So, kinda like sending your 8 year old down a dark alley at night. They got ambushed- and I lost my most enthusiastic bird- he loved to fly. And I ended up with one on the disabled list- who actually seems to have had a broken leg to go with the puncture wound to the belly, cuz now that he is using his leg again, I can see it is not straight, and has a "bump". He has been recouping in the sun room, with a rotating cast of characters in the next cage over to keep him company. He will likely be unable to fly normally- and may not wanna leave the loft once he gets the chance again. PTSD pigeons.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow- I am so confused- I had no idea people loft flew for that long before road training.:confused: PT is my only source of training tips though....So, I am winging it a lot.

I look at this way nay nay most ybs 1 & 2 rounds are ready to be trap trained by late feb ok so in march they are at least now 2 1/2 ok so now you start letting them out in the evening to adapt to loft so april they are first let out 3 months old now you loft fly a little at first till old bird season is over so in june they can loft fly all they want no pressure learning maturing they are now 5 months old now when they loft fly on a regular basis courage is a little bit better so july they are routing very very good. now you start training for yb races and your birds ybs are almost 7 to 8 months by the time racing starts

·
Registered
805 Posts
yeah- makes sense- meanwhile I just had babies hatch 3 days ago- LOL. They are my practice birds- maybe in a year and a half they can be OB.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
19 to 5 is harsh!

What do you think might have caused your flock to be reduced to almost 1/4th of its original size? Weather, hawks, etc?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Maybe thats how they do it in Atlanta, I don't know. But around here a lot of people won't breed until April. I have had 6 week old birds down the road 20 miles, granted I was pushing them, but hey they were coming back before I was in a vehicle so they were telling me they were ready. To each his own, all I know is something has to change either with the handler or the loft because 19 birds down 5 before a race is really bad. Maybe you just had some not very good birds to start, which if the case that may be where you need to start.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well lets see I made sure they were loft flying and routing for about a month or so then I took them out on the road. a 3 month bird is probably capable. most people loft fly for about 2 months then take on the road that means the bird is at least 5-6 months old most ybs in races are almost 8-9 month range.
The age of the birds doesn't sound like a problem. They should be able to handle road training no problem. Everybody's situation is different with training and loft setup so I can only speak for my own birds but I have a couple 3 month old birds that have about 700 road miles under their belt in multi-loft training and been out to 110 miles twice with good results so are being entered in our first race this weekend at 138 miles.

Based on their performances at 110 the past couple weekends I'm confident they'll make it home in good time along with the 4 and 5 month old siblings. Only problem will be their moult for racing season, right now they are in good feather but their head and neck is still mostly juvenile feather (9th flight is fully grown in after being pulled when young) but they haven't gone through the heavy head and neck moult like the older ones who are finishing right now so at some point in the middle of the season these 3 month old birds are going to go through a really heavy head moult and probably get held back for a few races.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well bump the number back up to 7 two came back yesterday they look good to be gone almost a week

·
Registered
238 Posts
well bump the number back up to 7 two came back yesterday they look good to be gone almost a week
Glad to hear you're getting some more back. I recently got one back that was missing from his 2nd or 3rd toss about 3 weeks earlier. So maybe you'll get even more and you're team will keep getting back in numbers. :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nomad I have suffered heavy losses myself during training its discouraging when you loose birds. But I am sticking with it I done everything club told me when they told me as far as training and still suffered heavy losses.

·
Registered
805 Posts
yeah- sometimes it just is what it is.
I am not so sure re breeding them early so you can band them in January though. Seems like then you end up trying to train them during the winter- or not train them because it is winter, and then they get strong on the wing. I'll try some early hatches this year of course, and see how it goes. My rookie inclination is leaning towards hatching in Late January/early February, and the birds being plenty old for races in August.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts