Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone how are u all and hope your pigeons are all ok:)

here are a few pictures of my pair outside the cage waking around on my patio, a quick question tho i have banded there wings to stop them flying but am always with them when they are out to keep an eye out for anything that might be hungry:) what i normally do is get them out of the cage let them have a wonder for about half an hour then call them in for food, do i keep the wings tied and keep letting them out or untie there wings and just keep them in untill the are ready too fly? They seem quite settled now and are getting used to the shaking can for feeding times, wich im pleased about:) how long should i keep them in before there first flight?

sorry to keep bothering everyone

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
How old are the birds and how long have they been at your house? Also, I think those are homers, correct?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure what breed they are i was told homerish? they are 8 months ben at my house 2 weeks, the birds have neva flown before.

Mike

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
They do look a lot like homers, especially the one with the most white on it.
8 months old is kind of iffy if they are homers. You may want to continue what you are doing for another month before letting them fly. But there is a good chance they will still go back home, in which, hopefully that home isn't too far away so you can retrieve them! :eek:

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
On another thought, I think they might be mixes after all. But they do look like they have a bit of homer in them if nothing else. If they are mixes, they are more likely to stick around at that age.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does any1 else know what breed they might be. i believe the training is going well and the birds do not seem as nervous so hopefully they will stay come their first flight?

Mike

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Probably mixed, but you don't know for sure. Are they a pair? If in doubt, I think you should keep them as breeders and fly the babies.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Gotta agree with Alamo. Homers have a different cere shape, those birds look exactly like my Birmingham roller.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
In the case of rollers, you can release them now if you'd like. I just keep fighting with myself, because in some ways, they look like the birminghams I used to have. And in other ways, they resemble some of my old 'regular' homers (not racers). But I do agree that they look more roller-ish, and definitely mix-like if not anything else.
So I think it will be safe to let them fly after keeping them in for 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I think they could be mix or some other breed. If they are Birmingham, they should be half the size of homers with their dainty feet. Believe it or not, birds can still get lost even exposed to their immediate surroundings. Only when they take flight and make circles and land back, then there is less possibility of them getting lost. What I usually do on mine is to put them on my house roof for them to see roof-top perspective. From my experience or experiments, if they don't know how your place looks like from the top, they still can get lost. So I expose them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
dear mike they are just plain pigeons as we call in here in our country.
the one with more hite will stay at your place and the brown will go back to its old house if it is anywhere close to 30-40 kms. if not may return also.
they might be a pair as the more brown one is a male and the more whitish one is a female by their looks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
dear mike they are just plain pigeons as we call in here in our country.
the one with more hite will stay at your place and the brown will go back to its old house if it is anywhere close to 30-40 kms. if not may return also.
they might be a pair as the more brown one is a male and the more whitish one is a female by their looks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts