Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(First thread. Please forgive the mistakes)

I have some homers on the way and really want to know how to train them! Train them to home. Train them with a whistle? Get them friendly. All that stuff! I've had pigeons for a couple years, but I still don't know much!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Great,

I would be happy to help you with any questions, no problem.
The homers you have on the way, are they old birds or young birds?
Will you be using them as breeders or will you be training them?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great,

I would be happy to help you with any questions, no problem.
The homers you have on the way, are they old birds or young birds?
Will you be using them as breeders or will you be training them?

Thank you!
I think they're young birds, he said too young to sex.
Both? Just letting them out to fly around the yard?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the message 'capsules' (Don't know what to call them) still made? I have some from my great-grandfather (Along with some of his AU bands) but I obviously wouldn't risk losing those.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The breeder said he had Stichelbaut, Janssen, Sion, Bandit and Houban. Which do mine look like?
Also, how is Stichelbaut pronounced? Is it like sticke-el-bout?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi, you can not tell the breed of a pigeon by just looking at it do you any peds.for the birds? are you going to let these birds out to fly? post a pic of the setup of your loft the landing board the bucks they will go through to get in the loft, it looks like you have a lot of trees around the loft you cant fly birds in a forest full of trees. stickel bout

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, you can not tell the breed of a pigeon by just looking at it do you any peds.for the birds? are you going to let these birds out to fly? post a pic of the setup of your loft the landing board the bucks they will go through to get in the loft, it looks like you have a lot of trees around the loft you cant fly birds in a forest full of trees. stickel bout
If peds. means pedigrees then I'm afraid not. They were just $25 a piece so...
I'll probably only let these birds fly around the yard. I don't have a proper loft yet; they are only in my pheasant pen. I was thinking about keeping them in there and using them as breeders, then by the time their future squabs were ready I'd have a loft?
I do have quite a few trees, but less than the pictures made it look.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi MeanCheek, you want to learn about training pigeons read some old post in the search box type in young bird training, and that carrier cost to much money there are a lot of good carriers for a lot less money

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello,

That training basket is not good. The birds need more head room.
That style is too confining for them.

Good Luck

Hi MeanCheek, you want to learn about training pigeons read some old post in the search box type in young bird training, and that carrier cost to much money there are a lot of good carriers for a lot less money

Do you guys have a favorite basket? 8" is a little short, is that the only real problem?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts