Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the pigeon world so all help is appreciated. I just bought two white racing homing pigeons the other day at a show and am going to breed them. Once I get offspring then how do I train them so I can let them go and they will come back to the loft? I asked the lady at the show who I purchased them from how far they can home from and she said it depends on how you train them. She said they could do up to 150 miles if I train them right. I was just wondering how I would train them to do that long of a distance. Also, how old must they be before you would start training them?
Thank you in advance for all help. It is really appreciated.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
They have to be taught how to get back in the loft and have a door they go in, but can't get back out. It is called trap training.
After they have flown around your yard and loft area for a few months then you can take them down the road and release them, making it further every time helps them build muscle so they can fly home from longer distances, just like any athlete. They have to build their muscle and stamina up. And while this is going on they have to be fed right. The birds should already naturally home back if they are from good homer stock. They just need to be in shape to do what you ask of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. How old must they be before you would start letting them out to fly around the loft? And do you just let the trap door open so they can get out and fly however long they want? and then how long before you would take them out further and let them go to home?
Thank you.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ok Noah when the young birds start flapping there wings like they want to fly in the loft and you see they have feathers on there body under there wings, most people put a small setteling cage in front of the trap door they are using and let the birds sit in this cage hungry you put food in the loft and whistle or shake a can with some food and after a few times they start to get the idea that if they want to eat they need to go through the trap to feed. Once they got that understanding you let them out and they just walk around and loft fly like helicopters around the loft after a few times they will make big circles around your neighborhood and stand on poles and look around stand on roof tops and look around and they will start to map the area... Remember when releasing your birds ALWAYS HUNGRY

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok Noah when the young birds start flapping there wings like they want to fly in the loft and you see they have feathers on there body under there wings, most people put a small setteling cage in front of the trap door they are using and let the birds sit in this cage hungry you put food in the loft and whistle or shake a can with some food and after a few times they start to get the idea that if they want to eat they need to go through the trap to feed. Once they got that understanding you let them out and they just walk around and loft fly like helicopters around the loft after a few times they will make big circles around your neighborhood and stand on poles and look around stand on roof tops and look around and they will start to map the area... Remember when releasing your birds ALWAYS HUNGRY
So after they get the concept of trapping if they want food and you let them out to loft fly will they do all that you explained in one time out or will that take them a few times being out flying?
Thanks

·
Registered
691 Posts
Once they learn how to trap in and know we're the food and water is and know that they have a good shelter they will come back. Best time to let the young out is just before your regular feeding time. And always let them out hungry. So they have something to look forward to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts