Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Was just wondering if anyone would like to share their methods in training your birds to deal with birds of prey?

I'm sure we all have different birds of prey
that we all wish were never born,

Where I live in Australia,
I have a falcon and she's a big Mama.
I also have alot of street pigeons nesting under solar panels on rooftops which get her attention.
So over the years I've noticed that the falcon and her mate live somewhere in the vicinity.And I'll only let my lovelies out if I know that they have caught a feed which in some cases is weeks.
(The old saying Rolls in the back of my mind "Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.")
And they are ferocious this pair of falcons.
The male will fly like a racing pigeon at roof level trying to flush out anything that it scares up into the air, where the female is higher up ready to dive in ambush.
One morning I found the Falcon sitting in the tree looking at my birds in the cage.
Touch wood they haven't caught any of my birds ,(yet!) But they have come close twice in as many years.My black hen lost a line of feathers on the right side of her rump, and another time only a few weeks ago a Goss Hawk pulled half the tail feathers off another lavender male.,,(Goss Hawks are another bird that will sit on your cage and work out how to get in.)
So I don't use traps like I did in the past.

To get my birds down I use a very high pitch whistle that mimics the noisy myna bird,(native Australian bush alarm system)
Whenever there's a bird of prey in the area these little birds will call out in their hundreds at the top of their tiny little lungs warning all the birds there is danger.
My birds know there's danger and learn to head home on the double even when there's no threat.On my whistle or the alarm call of the Aussie myna.
I always fly my rollers hungry so it's a very quick getting them in unless it's a lazy day and bath time.(I don't flag my birds,Its all in the seed mix so know your seed and what your birds love to eat.)A shake of the seed can and my call to come in gets them chasing and flying all over me until I give them food and water in the loft and close them up.(They are not roof sitters)

When I was a boy there weren't as many birds of prey that you would worry about.
These days they are a nightmare .
Especially when they have their young ones with them teaching them to hunt.
They say a pigeon can be seen by a falcon 3kms away.so binoculars help not just for watching your birds at height but scanning the skies for pigeon murderers
like Falcons and Hawks.

Mind you these days I keep my birds just for me,No comps,No shows but I still keep them to a strict standard and I don't breed deep deep rollers.(I don't breed rolldowns.)
But most of all ,All my birds love me and trust me and I don't have any erratic behaviour in my birds.They are fearless.I spend alot of time with my birds and I talk to them alot.

It would be interesting to share techniques and methods other pigeoneerers use for their breeds.

Sharing is caring馃晩

Registered
Hello, you can always try a GREAT HORNED OWL deterrent statue. They are natural predators to the Falcons and Hawks. Just its appearance may keep them at bay. or its worth a try.

Good Luck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, you can always try a GREAT HORNED OWL deterrent statue. They are natural predators to the Falcons and Hawks. Just its appearance may keep them at bay. or its worth a try.

Good Luck
Mercedes 15 thanks for your reply,
Everyone has been using these owl statues to deter the pigeons from nesting under solar panels on roofs.
And Falcons here have no predators so they are breeding out of control.
They know they aren't real.

Registered
I seriously hate how all of these natural predators are able to breed out of control. I used to have racing homer pigeons but I just had too many lost casualties. Golden Eagles, Gosshawks, Coopers Hawks, you name it. The main predator we have in my area right now is the peregrine falcon and I lost about 4 racing homers to the peregrine falcons. That is why I quit taking care of racing homers and now I have 12 Old German Owls. They don't like to fly and they pretty much just like walking around in the sun. I have had only 1 failed gosshawk attack which was months ago which is a good thing. But I pretty much just stand 3-4 feet next to the German Owls whenever they are outside. And I stand around wherever they go very close to them.

I wish there were more effective methods to keeping these scary creatures away. Im not sure if this method is effective at all, but I basically have these huge speakers where I play raven/crow noises (its very loud and the pigeons are used to it). Let me know if u know any other good effective methods other then the owl technique.

Its honestly such a huge risk of flying pigeons out in the sky nowadays, I have 1 Birmingham roller that is living with my 12 other Old German Owls and it hasnt flown at all and it likes to owl fly short distances around the backyard with the old german owls.

Registered
Hi King , there is only one thing that really works at keping birds of prey away from your birds it is called an air dancer those thing you see in gas stations it runs with a small motor here is a pic of it, all so i know guys here in florida use silhouettes of turkeys or cannadin geese to deter birds of prey
Gesture Happy Font Sharing Gadget

Registered
Yes, Its true, the least likely they are to fly , the less of a chance you would lose them.
I train racing pigeons, but I took a 20 year brake, and just now getting back into it, but maybe I was lucky
years ago, because I can only remember losing one to a hawk. or maybe there's not as many around where I am.
But for me if I did not have racing pigeons I would not have pigeons at all.

Good Luck

Registered
what are you talking about what do you mean by the the least likely they are to fly and the less chance you lose them the air dancer is to keep birds of prey away not to keep your pigeons down after a couple of weeks your pigeons will get used to seeing the air dancer and it will not bother them, after a few weeks look for that hawk if you dont see him around try letting out a few birds at a time but keep a sharp eye

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I seriously hate how all of these natural predators are able to breed out of control. I used to have racing homer pigeons but I just had too many lost casualties. Golden Eagles, Gosshawks, Coopers Hawks, you name it. The main predator we have in my area right now is the peregrine falcon and I lost about 4 racing homers to the peregrine falcons. That is why I quit taking care of racing homers and now I have 12 Old German Owls. They don't like to fly and they pretty much just like walking around in the sun. I have had only 1 failed gosshawk attack which was months ago which is a good thing. But I pretty much just stand 3-4 feet next to the German Owls whenever they are outside. And I stand around wherever they go very close to them.

I wish there were more effective methods to keeping these scary creatures away. Im not sure if this method is effective at all, but I basically have these huge speakers where I play raven/crow noises (its very loud and the pigeons are used to it). Let me know if u know any other good effective methods other then the owl technique.

Its honestly such a huge risk of flying pigeons out in the sky nowadays, I have 1 Birmingham roller that is living with my 12 other Old German Owls and it hasnt flown at all and it likes to owl fly short distances around the backyard with the old german owls.
I share your fears when it comes to B.O.P.
I know a lot of people that raced pigeons and now don't for exactly the same reason.
There's is no words to describe the feeling of potentially knowing one day this horror story can run riot Games n your backyard.
I have a couple of friends that had terrifying encounters with Goss Hawks.
The damned hawk chased my friends racers around trying to make them tired after half an hour the hawk chased one his birds straight through the trap and minced up six birds in about 5 seconds.My friend caught the hawk by its wings at the bird grab his thigh with both talons and lacerated his leg like a Freddie Cruger knife glove. He has never recovered and very lucky to still be alive.

The other story was with another friend trying to defend his chickens with a shovel from another Goss Hawk .It was eating his chicken right in front of him.He tried to hit with the shovel and missed as it flew up it pushed off the top of my friends head and nearly scalped him.
German Owls are show pigeons they aren't meant to fly a great deal.
And your roller needs other rollers to hang with or it will start thinking like an owl.

We can only do so much.
Thank you for the reply.(Don't call me gramps,I prefer old fart.)馃檳馃檴馃檲

Whippersnappers these days.
馃槑

Registered
I share your fears when it comes to B.O.P.
I know a lot of people that raced pigeons and now don't for exactly the same reason.
There's is no words to describe the feeling of potentially knowing one day this horror story can run riot Games n your backyard.
I have a couple of friends that had terrifying encounters with Goss Hawks.
The damned hawk chased my friends racers around trying to make them tired after half an hour the hawk chased one his birds straight through the trap and minced up six birds in about 5 seconds.My friend caught the hawk by its wings at the bird grab his thigh with both talons and lacerated his leg like a Freddie Cruger knife glove. He has never recovered and very lucky to still be alive.

The other story was with another friend trying to defend his chickens with a shovel from another Goss Hawk .It was eating his chicken right in front of him.He tried to hit with the shovel and missed as it flew up it pushed off the top of my friends head and nearly scalped him.
German Owls are show pigeons they aren't meant to fly a great deal.
And your roller needs other rollers to hang with or it will start thinking like an owl.

We can only do so much.
Thank you for the reply.(Don't call me gramps,I prefer old fart.)馃檳馃檴馃檲

Whippersnappers these days.
馃槑
Very interesting story gramps! Those gosshawks are some crazy predators

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi King , there is only one thing that really works at keping birds of prey away from your birds it is called an air dancer those thing you see in gas stations it runs with a small motor here is a pic of it, all so i know guys here in florida use silhouettes of turkeys or cannadin geese to deter birds of prey View attachment 99603
The air dancer is an awesome idea,
It would take a bit of time trying to get birds to get use to it though.
I bet it would scare the apsolute **** out of a hawk or falcon .
I just can't see it in my yard.
The neighbours would be thinking all kinds of ****.
My wife would definitely leave me if she saw me trying to dance with it in the backyard.
Hell knows what my birds reaction would be.

In all seriousness if I had the space I would probably consider it.
thanks Beechy very helpful.

I'll take that as a positive step in the right direction.
All the best.

Registered
hello. a scare crow. a fishing/landing net, study falconry, laser pointer, mirror, fly in twos?, birds of a feather/size/age/color/speed fly together, the eagle owl sounds, healthy birds, taxidermy, drones?, bird flutes, chemical, biological, political, and the old sss. keep in touch. thnks.

Registered
hello. there are rulles here on PT that will get u banned. what exactly is banned, i m not sure, or forgot. but use your smarts not to get banned. private massaging instead? thnks.

Registered
what are you talking about what do you mean by the the least likely they are to fly and the less chance you lose them the air dancer is to keep birds of prey away not to keep your pigeons down after a couple of weeks your pigeons will get used to seeing the air dancer and it will not bother them, after a few weeks look for that hawk if you dont see him around try letting out a few birds at a time but keep a sharp eye
[/QUO
hello. there are rulles here on PT that will get u banned. what exactly is banned, i m not sure, or forgot. but use your smarts not to get banned. private massaging instead? thnks.
Yes, I Agree, hamlet,
but people need to be responsible enough, to know them for themselves.

Registered
The Air dancer is not going to help with Racing pigeons.
When it comes down to a few seconds in a race, the last thing you need is a bird getting spooked or detracted from entering in your loft no matter how accustomed they are to it.

But if you don't mind give it a try.

Good Luck

Registered
The Air dancer is not going to help with Racing pigeons.
When it comes down to a few seconds in a race, the last thing you need is a bird getting spooked or detracted from entering in your loft no matter how accustomed they are to it.

But if you don't mind give it a try.

Good Luck
Another point is, if your birds need to get accustomed to the Air Dancer, so will the hawks, so at the most
it would only be a temporary fix.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now I got a pair of black breasted buzzards nesting in the area(about four blocks away.)
Made my kit fly higher than highfliers.
Had a hell of time trying to get em down today without a scratch .
No sooner did the Buzzard leave did a falcon chase em around.
I was thinking really extreme measures to solve this issue.
It was like watching a WW2 aerial display dog fight.
First time for my full kit to experience such persistent and formidable enemies at the same time.
They stuck together like glue ,which I was very proud of after I thought about what I witnessed from my birds.

I need a plan of attack ,not a scare tack tick.
I'm seriuosly thinking about moving because of these God damn winged devils.(which are only doing what nature intended.

Registered
Now I got a pair of black breasted buzzards nesting in the area(about four blocks away.)
Made my kit fly higher than highfliers.
Had a hell of time trying to get em down today without a scratch .
No sooner did the Buzzard leave did a falcon chase em around.
I was thinking really extreme measures to solve this issue.
It was like watching a WW2 aerial display dog fight.
First time for my full kit to experience such persistent and formidable enemies at the same time.
They stuck together like glue ,which I was very proud of after I thought about what I witnessed from my birds.

I need a plan of attack ,not a scare tack tick.
I'm seriuosly thinking about moving because of these God damn winged devils.(which are only doing what nature intended.
I wish it was legal to somehow capture those mean sky devils

Registered
Hi, here is an article by Frank Mclaughlin one of the top racing homer guys in the usa read how the air dancer should be used, and like mercedes15 said the hawks will get used to it to but not be for you break in your young bird team.go to www.bestpigeons.com/educating-young-birds i have never used an air dancer so i dont really know how to set it up for hawks i am just passing this info on air dancers that i happned to come across

1 - 20 of 22 Posts