Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey- I know these aren't the worlds greatest pictures or anything, But I like em anyway, and thought I'd share. Pretty hard to get a picture with those wings flapping. :eek: These guys are still pretty young, and are doing good on flying about 10 feet from basket up on a platform to the landing board and trapping for dinner. There is a little red splash that is always first- you can see her diving down the trap. Unfortunately, the guy who gave me these little late hatches was out of town, so she ( Man, I sure hope she is a she- I need a good hen. Too many cocks!) doesn't have an AU band- just some oversized metal band with indecipherable writing. So, no OB races for her. I am quite fond of her and hope she survives training tosses and such, and has the right stuff to be a breeder for me.

Taking Flight:

Trap!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lead bird in the first picture is a RED CHECK !! What do you know !! A RED CHECK !!...
hahahahahaha !!......Nice birds....Alamo
Yup- My first reds- she's a rockstar. :D has a splash of white on her head. Always first to trap too. :D

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I like your trap . I have one like yours but not as fancy. Looks like the red board closes up the trap, mine opens from the top with a rope so I can slam it on a bird and push it inside when they are close to the door but will not go inside.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice Pictures, That band has me curies, what kind is it, it looks like you can slide it off her leg.
Yeah- the band is weird- breeder was out of town, and missed the window of opportunity to band her properly, so he stuck this huge metal one on her and her nest mate. I'll have to see if I can read what is written on it with my reading glasses- or a magnifying glass- lol. It is super big on her- not sure why he even bothered banding her- it could end up being something that causes problems later, ya know, get caught on something or something like that. Not sure I can remove it though at this point.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah- the band is weird- breeder was out of town, and missed the window of opportunity to band her properly, so he stuck this huge metal one on her and her nest mate. I'll have to see if I can read what is written on it with my reading glasses- or a magnifying glass- lol. It is super big on her- not sure why he even bothered banding her- it could end up being something that causes problems later, ya know, get caught on something or something like that. Not sure I can remove it though at this point.
Looking good Nay Nay. The bird look like they've got a great start there. I was thinking the same thing about the oversize band, worried that it might get hung on something later. I've never had it happen but have heard of a lot of freak accidents by others that involve broken legs or things getting hung up on something in or around the loft or in the training carriers. If it's not a proper race band I guess you could just take it off and if you wanted to mark her with something later they make nice plastic clip ons...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point re the tin snips- I might just do that to the 2 that have those bands. I would have just left them unbanded- but heck, what do I know, I'm just a newbie ;) .

That landing board will eventually have hinges to close up the trap and such - I have multiple micro projects that I am getting done slowly but surely.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I did have a bird get his band hooked on a nail tip. It didn't end well. I'm still kicken myself for that blunder.

If you do get around to the hing thing try it from the top I find it very handy to drop the door on birds that don't want to go all the way in. Just have a small cord running up to your overhang and you can open and close the door easy with the cord.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did have a bird get his band hooked on a nail tip. It didn't end well. I'm still kicken myself for that blunder.

If you do get around to the hing thing try it from the top I find it very handy to drop the door on birds that don't want to go all the way in. Just have a small cord running up to your overhang and you can open and close the door easy with the cord.
Well, I'll have to snip that band off for sure then. I like the two that have em, and besides, I hate it when my mess ups result in bird loss/death. I had one get his head stuck between the bars of the training basket and break his neck. Poor little dude.

So far they are all eager trappers, but I'll keep your trick in mind. I would hate to spook em away.:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts