Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, as many of you may know I am very new to the sport, and have a few questions about where i may be going wrong.
So far this year i have 23 ybs in my tb loft, and about 20 more will be ready for the yb loft in about 2 weeks. I have already got the first 23 birds flying, they are just now starting to flock together.

Did I make a mistake by training half of my yb team before they were all ready to be trained?

If so how should I handle it from here?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
That's how I do it. Half my team have been down the road and the other half are just now getting out of the loft. I keep them in two groups until the 4th of July and then start training them all together. I've got a trap for each group and once they're together they seem to be okay with trapping into their own section. As time progresses I seperate them again Hens and Cocks. Losses will cut your numbers down with time as Mother nature seems to know how many should be in your loft...45 or 50 YB's is a lot to manage. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
hi everyone, as many of you may know I am very new to the sport, and have a few questions about where i may be going wrong.
So far this year i have 23 ybs in my tb loft, and about 20 more will be ready for the yb loft in about 2 weeks. I have already got the first 23 birds flying, they are just now starting to flock together.

Did I make a mistake by training half of my yb team before they were all ready to be trained?

If so how should I handle it from here?
Not sure how training those that were ready could possible be a "mistake" or wrong. Now, if you took them down the road and for some reason lost some, maybe one might suggest you sent them too early, but that does not appear to be the case. As far as how would you progress from here ? I would send the rest of the birds the distance they are ready for, when they are ready to train.

I suspect that for the most part, my ideas concerning "training" are different from most. As the commonly held theory is that one should start at one mile and release from there and then progressively increase distances, while repeating some number of times at various distances etc. The thinking is as they learn the course one can increase distances. My thinking is road training may just have more to do with conditioning and learning to go home quickly and trap quickly in order to eat. If a pigeon is in proper condition, then the first training toss could be a few hundred miles, you don't have to teach them to find home. Might be numerous ways to "train" one's bird's, don't know if some are "right" or "wrong", but I do know that the perfect training system has yet to be discovered.

I have birds in various different growth stages as well. Some are still settling, where as YB's hatched in December/January could be doing hundred mile training tosses. In theory one could have two, three, four different teams based on age. But, I am just way to lazy to have four different teams. Early in am when it is dark, I basket the birds based on a squeak or the grunt. If they still squeakers, they get one crate and the short toss, if they grunt, they into the other crate and go the distance. Somewhere along the line the baskets end up going to the same release point. Typically a bit of a jump for some, and numerous repeats of a release point by others. By 55 miles or so they all on about the same page. Get em to the 1st race station a few times before the first race, and they should be ready to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts