Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How soon after the birds start to route do I start my training I plan on training them 1 mile first couple of times then 3 mi and so on pleaes let me know kevin

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Are you going to race these birds?
I personally don't start road training until about 7 or 8 weeks before the first race. 6 weeks is actually good, but I like to account for a week of bad weather which can put you way behind.
Also depends on how far your first race is. Mine was always 160 to 200 miles, but this year, we're flying from a different direction so my first race will be around 120, do I don't feel the need to train as hard or as far.
There IS such a thing as training too much and burning them out, IMO........as long as they're routing and flying good around the loft, I wouldn't push it until you get closer to racing. You'll find (at least I do) that the older the birds get, the less they fly and want to hang out and chase the hens. That's when you've got to get them on the road...........

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok I see my clubs 1st race is early aug but I may look at racing soon not sure yet just wanna see which ones are strong and so on I would only train like 2xs amonth maybe if I don't race in any until aug. kevin

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
ok I see my clubs 1st race is early aug but I may look at racing soon not sure yet just wanna see which ones are strong and so on I would only train like 2xs amonth maybe if I don't race in any until aug. kevin
1st of AUG? Yea, I'd start training them pretty soon. More than 2 times a month though....more like AT LEAST 2 times a week........3 or 4 times a week is better. I work mine out to 60 miles and then bring them back to two different drops. One is 30 miles and the other is about 37 miles. I train them from those two spots over and over and over.........my husband takes them to the 30 mile drop and the 37 mile drop is my Mom's house, so I take them when I go there.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
take them to work and release them. That is what I do.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I work from 6 am to 4;30 pm during the week could i fly them in the evening few miles out or wait until weekend? kevin
Being a teacher, I can't train my birds except for in the afternoons. All of my training tosses last year were around 5:00. I was worried that this might throw them off since the races are released first thing in the morning. They seemed to do just fine and were very competative.

Work your training schedule around your life, not the other way around. It will make for much happier fanciers and their families!

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.