Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to start off this thread by saying the pigeon racing sport as whole is a unique and fascinating hobby/sport for those of us that love to partake in it. I also want to create a thread in which experienced fliers can offer suggestions to new and young fliers. Too many a times, the new fliers learn the hard way. And some get discouraged. Let's help out these new guys get on the right track!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
first we need to know what birds we need to train, homers, tumblers, tipplers etc. becoz i can help on tumblers
Tumblers would be good, but should be done under the Performance Breeds Discussions. As for training any and all breeds it begins with food and the control of it.

Tony

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been told that white homers do not make good racers - over breeding for color - yet, I see many picutures posted here of racing lofts with white birds. What's the straight poop? Is is speed that has been bred out of them or the instinct to home? If I can train them to trap, can I at least enjoy releasing them on my own and depend on them to return from, say, a few miles?

Mike

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I have been told that white homers do not make good racers - over breeding for color - yet, I see many picutures posted here of racing lofts with white birds. What's the straight poop? Is is speed that has been bred out of them or the instinct to home? If I can train them to trap, can I at least enjoy releasing them on my own and depend on them to return from, say, a few miles?

Mike
Hi Mike,

There are still some good white racers out there. You have to get them from a racing loft. They also need to be out of tested and proven parents. Do not get birds from anyone who has lots of white homers and is listing "White Homers For Sale" Follow this advice and you will find yourself some good white racers.

Ace

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I just want to start off this thread by saying the pigeon racing sport as whole is a unique and fascinating hobby/sport for those of us that love to partake in it. I also want to create a thread in which experienced fliers can offer suggestions to new and young fliers. Too many a times, the new fliers learn the hard way. And some get discouraged. Let's help out these new guys get on the right track!
Fresh clean water. Good feed in just the right amounts. Clean loft which is well ventilated and not overcrowded.

The above is very basic, but in my limited experience, most new fliers make very basic mistakes. If one can not get the above right, then all the training "tips" or "systems" will be of little use.

I do get frustrated at times with some new fliers, which want all the "advanced" medical and training tips, but just can't seem to be able to create a healthy, clean environment, with plenty of fresh clean air and water, and where they are not stressed due to overcrowding.

Recently visited a loft who was having problems. And it took all of 10 seconds to see what should have been "common sense". They were looking for a bottle of something to cure their "problem". In this loft, the best birds in the world, the best training, the best "system" would all be one big waste.

So my best "tip" would be to figure out what is required to have healthy, and happy pigeons. No point getting beyond that, until one has mastered the most basic of care. In my above example, the loft had very dirty water and drinkers. Soiled feed was on the dirty floor, which had spilled water, droppings and feed all mixed together, and the birds were over crowded. This fancier had also "loaded Up' on extra birds, in preparation for YB losses. This is, IMHO a recipe for a self fulfilling prophecy.

Then, to make it somewhat humorous, when a fancier such as this loses a bunch of birds on a training toss or in a race, they are surprised, and look for some external explanation for their losses, such as wires, hawks, low pressure air pockets, solar flares, cell phone towers, K factor, etc etc etc. They will look to all these things for an explanation, instead of something in their management.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts