Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i was telling a guy at the club how well my birds are doing ... another guy commented and said that i am training to hard! i train in the am road trip(2 miles i am up to) and in the pm i just let them out . i don't feel that is training to hard do you?
ant
You have to understand, many flyers have not even let their youngbirds out of the loft yet. A lot of the guys that fly old birds will not even mess with their youngsters until after old bird season is over, which is about now. A lot depends on when you breed. Many of these guys won't even start their breeding until mid February. Their youngsters wouldn't be ready to start training for another month or so. If you breed in November and have late December babies, they will be ready to train much earlier.

Like everything else, it all comes down to what works for you.

Dan

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
i was telling a guy at the club how well my birds are doing ... another guy commented and said that i am training to hard! i train in the am road trip(2 miles i am up to) and in the pm i just let them out . i don't feel that is training to hard do you?
ant
No matter what you do, or how you do it, there will always be someone that will come along and tell you that you are doing it all wrong. First thing you might consider doing is let all these various ideas and comments you hear in a club...... is to simply let them go in one ear and out the other....or like water slides off a duck's back. The other thing to remember is that this is not a "team sport". You would not sit down at a poker table and ask the other guys how they think you should play your cards, neither should you seek the advice or counsel of every Tom, Dick and Harry at your club.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have some of my birds out alot farther than that. They are probably scared your birds wil beat them. :D I trained my older yb's out early so I would not loose them wether that worked or not who knows. I am training my second round now and will hopefully take them out pretty quick provided no problems. We have to have birds nominated for a larger money race here by the end of June and any bird I nominate will be out past 25 miles for sure. Most the guys won't even have their birds down the road at all.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i agree its personal preferance, learning experiance, and what works for you, as well as how old the birds are,
question, = i have an simi open loft, only one loft and all my birds loft fly together, i want to start training some young birds to go further afeild ( i do wedding releases, so not long distance) and want to know your thought as to weathe you would train them with old birds or totaly seperate,
i like to be training al year round and the old birds dont seem to mind doing shorter training tosses?
thoughts?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If you are losing birds with your training or they do not care to fly when you loft fly due to being worn out. then you are training too hard, only you and your birds know that answer. For me or anyone else to decide that without even checking your birds is just wrong.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I wanted to say one more thing, telling you you are training too hard when you have the birds out 2 miles is laughable. I know a guy that trains almost everyday through the races 50-70 miles a day and 20 miles the day of shipping. He does very well in sprint races, not at distance ones but he just don't know when too much is too much. I also train 4-5 days a week 35-50 miles right before racing starts.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I can tell you this I trained hard in 08 and in old bird season out of 16 races this is my results. 5 first place wins, 6 second place wins, 3 third place wins, one race my boy for got to open the avairy. the other race my birds had two weeks off due to bad weather.
I think this keep them from wining.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If you have a good training program, the birds are right genetically, and you know how to feed and condition the birds right, they can handle just about anything you throw at them. There are people who go hundreds of miles every week and the birds act like there's nothing to it.

IMO, most of the time when people train 'too hard' and lose birds, it isn't the birds fault, but the fancier for not doing his or her part. It's just like human athletes. We may all have the potential to be a marathon runner, but we ain't getting anywhere by sitting on the couch with a bag of cheetos watching TV :p

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
We may all have the potential to be a marathon runner, but we ain't getting anywhere by sitting on the couch with a bag of cheetos watching TV :p
Or sitting in front of the computer screen reading this while eating a hotdog.
(Don't tell the wife!!!!)

Tony

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Or sitting in front of the computer screen reading this while eating a hotdog.
(Don't tell the wife!!!!)

Tony
LOL. Or that too! :p Speaking of which, I'm hungry....Time to go get food and sit in front of the computer again. I think I'll leave the sports to the birds! ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No matter what you do, or how you do it, there will always be someone that will come along and tell you that you are doing it all wrong. First thing you might consider doing is let all these various ideas and comments you hear in a club...... is to simply let them go in one ear and out the other....or like water slides off a duck's back. The other thing to remember is that this is not a "team sport". You would not sit down at a poker table and ask the other guys how they think you should play your cards, neither should you seek the advice or counsel of every Tom, Dick and Harry at your club.
you are right..

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
You are the only one that knows your birds! When their performance suffers then you know you are overtraining them. Take their advice with a grain of salt. And this one, too.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
With MATURE YB`s,you could/can train from 50 to 60 miles out every day if the weather is OK...If you train HARD,feed them all they can eat in 10 to 15 minutes...Do not hold back the feed..If you train moderatly,by this I mean like me,from 30/35 miles out,don`t over feed the birds....This is my only advice....And anyone who tells you what to do from your CLUB,unless the person is your MENTOR,don`t beleive a word they say...They WANT to WIN (ALL) the races...Don`t let them !!!
Train them your way BABY !!!!....Alamo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts