Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tossed my birds yeaterday from 3 miles.

9 of 14 came back 5 are missing. i am hoping they will be back today.

seems these 5 can win a race against some pretty fast snails.
birds on the other hand may be a problem LOL.

it was interesting when i released them the 9 were flying in circles together. the other 5 were scattered they were not staying together. 2 of these missing birds have already been out to 5 miles and returned. its a bit strange that they are taking so long. i am hoping they are ok and get back.
this training is pretty nerve racking.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
allot of times a bird that goes it alone is the one you want..not a follower.. if they got off track because of a predator it is really not their fault..also.. your feeding may have an affect on how fast they come back..and of course as they mature they just get better..esp if they have a hen or eggs waiting for them at the loft...they really need to be motivated..so that is where your feeding comes in.. some will give a special treat in the loft after tosses..and of course they need to be hungry..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes they have been flocking together when loft flying. also some of those birds have been tossed from 5 miles and beat me home.
not quite sure. i am hoping they are home when i get out of work

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
11 r back. Still missing 3
Are the two that came back the ones that had been out to 5 mi. before?

Had the younger birds spent time in the crate before and had they been released away from the loft with a crate before?

Something was not right for them not to group up when released.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi mark
yes they have been in the crate before. and they have been tossed from withim a few blocks from my house.
one of the two that came back was the ones released from five miles.
i am hoping the rest come back today.
i believe i over fed them the day before i released them.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Over feeding them the night before may keep them from racing home but it will not cause them to fail to come home on the day of release.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Some birds mature faster than others, I don't like to start training untill they drop a feather or 2 on the secondary flights. Training will some times stop the molt. So if you want to keep training them you should up the protien to over 17%. You should still have 5 to 7 weeks befor the first race, so just go slow with a lot of short tosses. With every toss they learn a lesson, and they are just like kids they love to learn.
Dave

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is anybody having trouble with birds of prey this time of the year in the new york area.

i have been tossing the birds from less than a mile and they have been coming back right away. yesterday i tossed 12 birds and only 10 have returned. something is going on. these birds know the area. have returned from longer tosses. i think that BOP or maybe there is a flock in my area that they are mixing with.

very strange. hoping the other two come back today

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I only just started letting most of YB's out on Wednesday I havn't seen any hawks messing with the birds. I saw one fly over but he just kept going my bird just looked up at him for a few second but they didn't pay much attention to him and he didn't pay much attention to them either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts