Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I was suppose to get my Homers last weekend, but I am getting them this coming weekend!! I will have nine young ones. My questions is, will a dog crate, 30" by 17" be ok to bring them home in, it will be an hour ride for them?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hi everyone,
I was suppose to get my Homers last weekend, but I am getting them this coming weekend!! I will have nine young ones. My questions is, will a dog crate, 30" by 17" be ok to bring them home in, it will be an hour ride for them?
How young are they? That will be a tight squeeze, but if you put some straw or some sort of bedding in the bottom of the crate, they will (if young enough) all cuddle up and rest on the way home. If these are older, like, say 6 or 8 weeks old, then they will probably fight and tussle about quite a bit and it would be a little uncomfortable for them.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Lovebird

THANK YOU LOVEBIRD...:)
All I know, is they are just weaned and the guy told me they were to young last weekend.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
O-Boy--Rackerman--Just "think"---Shipping birds to a race they are in "full" baskets for 10-12-24 hours. and then have to fly 2-3 hours to get home. 9 birds in anything for only an hour will not harm them. I have brought birds- 1- home from other flyers in a coat pocket on an airplane -I put them in a sock-smuggled on board-no extra cost--they were in the pocket 2-3 hours.-- YES this was before 9/11 --Pigeons are "tough"
Get the birds and bring them home.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
coat pocket!...oh my.

yeah I think they will be fine as long as you don't leave them in the hot car to get a bite to eat.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Everyone.

THANK YOU EVERY ONE. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THEM, i AM SO EXCITED. I HOPE I CAN RACE THEM, ONLY THING IS, I AM FAR FROM THE CLUB AND WILL BE AT THE END OF THE LINE. i DON'T KNOW IF THAT IS A GOOD THING. i AM WELL OVER AN HOUR NORTH OF THE CLUB THAT I WOULD JOIN. I WANT TO BE A WINNER!!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
THANK YOU EVERY ONE. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THEM, i AM SO EXCITED. I HOPE I CAN RACE THEM, ONLY THING IS, I AM FAR FROM THE CLUB AND WILL BE AT THE END OF THE LINE. i DON'T KNOW IF THAT IS A GOOD THING. i AM WELL OVER AN HOUR NORTH OF THE CLUB THAT I WOULD JOIN. I WANT TO BE A WINNER!!
I hope that you will be a winner!
As far as transporting the birds..........you do whatever you want to do. When the birds get shipped to a race they are not in "full" baskets. There's a difference in "full" and "crowded"........any club/combine that crowds their baskets is wrong. Period. The AU has guidelines on how many birds can be put in a basket and it's based on the size of the basket and is done for the safety and well being of the birds.
If any fancier doesn't have his birds well fare in mind, no matter WHAT he/she is doing with them, they THEY are wrong. Period.
Will it hurt the birds to cram them into something that's too small? Well, no....but WHY would anyone want to do that? Unless it's a life or death situation for the birds, I don't see the point and I don't know why this has to be a debated discussion. If the carrier isn't big enough, then take a cardboard box and use it along with the carrier.
You see, I'm a pessimist, not an optimist. I always see what COULD go wrong. What if you have a wreck? What if the car breaks down? What if those birds are packed into something too small for 5 hours instead of 1 hour?
Those members here that have "pets" see my point. (I think) SOME (not all) of the racers/competitors have this mentality that you can do whatever you want to your birds cause they're just pigeons. They're tough, so they will survive. Which is true. They will survive, but will be miserable DURING their survival.
So, you asked, I answered. So did others. They're your birds or will be in a few days. Treat them however you see fit.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Yes Lovebirds--AU guidelines-Our shipping crates 20-25 is full over 25 is crowded.
According to AU guidelines, our crates will hold 17 birds. It was suggested that in young birds this year, we could put 25 in those same crates.
Overcrowding birds is a sore spot with me. I see fanciers come to shipping with so many bird crammed into thier hand crates that they are literally walking on top of each other. Makes me so mad I could spit nails. I've got crates that "supposedly" will hold 16 birds.......yea, that's a joke. I never put more than 10 birds in one. If I have to take 4 crates to shipping and clean them the next day, then, that's what I do.
Cram the birds in a crate where the fight and peck each other and then wonder why they don't come home. I wouldn't go home either. :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts