Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Recently, I just finished building my trap door/ landing board/ settling cage and I want to know how you guys (and gals) train your team to trap. I did watch videos on trap training BUT my pigeons dont go through. For example, (they are hungry) I put them all in the settling cage and then I shake the food can. They WILL try to get at me but they dont push hard enough to get through the bobs, the bobs scare them or something.. One got threw because her partner kept chasing her but as she went through, he didnt know how to go into it and then he went crazy, so I just opened up all of the bobs and they all flew back into the loft. Any suggestions?? :confused:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
They don't like the feeling of those metal rods on their back. I use just a simple drop trap. but allot do use those bobs. I think they will just have to be motivated enough to go through, which usually means hunger. you may make a mistake in letting them in without them if you want them to get used to them, as when you do you are actually training them to use it after you pull the bobs up . if you don't want that then don't show them that ever.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They don't like the feeling of those metal rods on their back. I use just a simple drop trap. but allot do use those bobs. I think they will just have to be motivated enough to go through, which usually means hunger. you may make a mistake in letting them in without them if you want them to get used to them, as when you do you are actually training them to use it after you pull the bobs up . if you don't want that then don't show them that ever.
I see.. Plan B: scare them in? Or that is a bad idea? Or should I just keep trying the food method?..

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never scare them in, they may sit in the settling cage all day but they will learn.
Dave
Okay, understood Crazy Pete. Should I try to teach the ones sitting on eggs/ babies or should I just let them be?

·
Registered
142 Posts
i've experienced that same situation also! thats why i switched to a drop trap i made myself! works like a charm! but when i had bob traps and they were scared at first i would slowly push them in, sooner of later they'll get use to it.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
They soon get used to bobs. My birds use the bob trap even when their metre square fly out door is left up. I would say go with Daves idea and make a settling, get them really responsive and then let them out. Set it up so that they can get in and out of the cage at leisure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
With young birds I will leave 1 bob up making a wider space, after a few times put it back down and they wont notice the difference.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I just used mine that I made and used a little food inside the sun box. That got the others that were still inside up there and eating so the young guys figured it would be better to be inside. Not too bad for there first trip out but it did take them a little while to want to try it.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Okay, understood Crazy Pete. Should I try to teach the ones sitting on eggs/ babies or should I just let them be?
Not sure how to answer that, if they are homers I would say no. If they are old enough to breed there is a big chance they could fly away. Even if they are not homers there is a chance they could get lost, then you have to hand feed the babies, that takes a lot of time.
Dave

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure how to answer that, if they are homers I would say no. If they are old enough to breed there is a big chance they could fly away. Even if they are not homers there is a chance they could get lost, then you have to hand feed the babies, that takes a lot of time.
Dave
Okay. I'll leave them alone then, its not worth the risks to me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just lift one of the bobs up & staple up so its wide enough for head & neck to shoulder of pigeon to almost but not quite get in dont feed the day before &put them in the wire pen on landing board so they can go in & leave them alone go in house or somewhere else where they can t see you & leave them be they will go in they won't starve . Put feed in pen to go to. If you want put each bird thru a couple of times by hand if you haven't done so . Let them think its their idea. JMO Good Luck .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts