Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I need help again I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome. I want to start trap training my birds I am not sure if they are old enough yet I have 2 rollers about 11 weeks old and 2 homers 1 is 41/2 weeks the other is 51/2 weeks so I am told. They look older but I really don't know what they should look like. the rollers I have had for about 5 weeks the homers for just about a week

· Registered
15,608 Posts
Hello everyone I need help again I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome. I want to start trap training my birds I am not sure if they are old enough yet I have 2 rollers about 11 weeks old and 2 homers 1 is 41/2 weeks the other is 51/2 weeks so I am told. They look older but I really don't know what they should look like. the rollers I have had for about 5 weeks the homers for just about a week
Actually, they are at the perfect age to start trap training. The rollers are a little older than they should be, but it's not a big deal.
Are the two homers perching? That's one thing you have to look for. If they are still young enough that they want to sleep on the floor, then you can wait a few days, but if they are flying up to a perch, they can come through a trap with no problem.
Are you calling them with a whistle or anything when you feed them?

· Registered
241 Posts
I think I would start the rollers first and let the homers settle in a week or so more, but I am still pretty new at this also. If you have a settling cage, put the birds in it where they can see the loft and surroundings. some set the cage on the landing board for 20 or 30 minits to let them get used to it. That's what I did. Then I would open the cage so the birds could only go through the trap to get in the loft. I had to gently help them through 3 or 4 times, then they started going through on their own. Of course use food and your feeding call to entice them to trap through as well. I was surprised at how quickly they learn to use the trap. Repitition and food works! Others will chime in and give you various versions of what I told you. they have much more experience than me, so listen to them more than me:D

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the rollers are perching but the homers are still on the floor. When should I feed them? I would like to train them to feed in the afternoon I don't use anything when I feed them to call them I know the guy I got them from used a can with loose food so it rattled when he went tro feed them

· Registered
15,608 Posts
the rollers are perching but the homers are still on the floor. When should I feed them? I would like to train them to feed in the afternoon I don't use anything when I feed them to call them I know the guy I got them from used a can with loose food so it rattled when he went tro feed them
Well, you can still start calling them using whatever method you want. I too use a small can with some feed in it and just shake it.
How long have you had the homers? I believe that you should leave some feed for them all day for the first few days while they get accustomed to being away from their parents and being in a new loft. Once they've gotten used to being there, then you can begin to feed them measured amounts.
Here's some threads on drop traps. A drop trap is just what it sounds like. The birds just "drop" through, instead of having to push the bobs.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=23716
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=25990

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Train the rollers for now. The homers can wait until they can perch. But don't wait too long. But I recommend that you catch those homers and rollers and put them in some settling cage or aviary to see their surroundings. I do that on my birds at 3 weeks old. Usually for homers it only takes 3 days for them to catch on with the program (trap training). They might need refresher course if they forget. Once my birds can hop between perches, I start trap training them. I just grab them, put them in, and call them with food whistle. If they don't know what to do, I just grab them from inside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.