Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to pigeon keeping.

I am in the process of turning my barn loft into a pigeon loft. In the making of an outside aviary that I'm going to bolt to the side of the barn to let the birds get some sun, what's the advantage of building in a pigeon trap (like a Sputnik trap) versus just making a latched door that I can open up to let the birds fly in and out. Won't the birds come in when they had enough flying around? And if I get into racing, can I put the timer by the edge of the door (so when they fly in, it clocks them?) Thank you for the advice

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am new to pigeon keeping.

I am in the process of turning my barn loft into a pigeon loft. In the making of an outside aviary that I'm going to bolt to the side of the barn to let the birds get some sun, what's the advantage of building in a pigeon trap (like a Sputnik trap) versus just making a latched door that I can open up to let the birds fly in and out. Won't the birds come in when they had enough flying around? And if I get into racing, can I put the timer by the edge of the door (so when they fly in, it clocks them?) Thank you for the advice
Sounds wonderful!! Hope you will post some pics. I have mine in a pole barn. I basket mine and train them, but others who 'free fly' or 'toss' have no problem with them returning once they have learned how to get back into their 'home'.

Cheers!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you use any pigeon traps or just leave the door open for them? I cant wait until i get my pigeons in there!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a set of "Bobs". I bought the pieces, then made a frame. Next I drilled holes at the bottom to insert two pieces of steel rods. By doing this, I can allow the birds to travel only in or out. By removing both rods, then the birds can travel in and out at will. This way I can get them to only come in (trap) if I choose, but also allow my 'prisoners' the non ability to 'escape' unless they are in lock down. :p

I have photos here on PT in my album, you might find interesting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice pictures! They gave me some ideas. I'm still hee-hawing on the exact design of the loft. So far I have the coops divided out and I'm making the nest boxes. Not sure if I want to make the entrance/exit to 'free flight' thru the aviary or if I want to cut a seperate hole in the side of the barn. I'm wondering if I should make a doorway and put the trap on the aviary itself?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Very nice pictures! They gave me some ideas. I'm still hee-hawing on the exact design of the loft. So far I have the coops divided out and I'm making the nest boxes. Not sure if I want to make the entrance/exit to 'free flight' thru the aviary or if I want to cut a seperate hole in the side of the barn. I'm wondering if I should make a doorway and put the trap on the aviary itself?
Thanks, not bad for no design and no plan (we thought they were coming 6 months down the road --- not two weeks!!! It was a bit of a surprise to hear the breeder had eggs in minus 50 F Degrees.

You could put it in your 'people door' but remember they'll need a 'landing pad' to help them. Or (as it sounds) you could build a separate frame like I did.

I think if you wanted, you could - put it in the people door... use some hinges, and flip the landing pads down when you wanted to give them flight access.

I have to say, being able to put them on "Lock down" is really nice if we see a cat around, or other prey. As well as when they burn the fields here. It has proven to be a comfort for us, and works pretty darn good for them as well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There comes a time where you want the birds to come in and not go back out. That is where the sputnik or bob traps come in. The sputnics being more open work the best in my opinion. also with a sputnic you don't really have to spend time teaching them to trap, they see the others and it's so open it doesn't scare them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds excellent. I'm probably going to make a simple aviary outside with no doors or anything special, and put a trap to directly go into and out of the coop in another location, such as the door. I've seen plans for a drop trap - They look simple to make and I'll build it so it can be totally closed off when I'm not there. Maybe make a 3 or 4 bay drop trap? I'll put a landing pad down on the outside with maybe a compartment underneath to house a clock? I have pleanty of scrap plywood from the project so far so a compartment underneath wouldn't be too much to make. I'm on a budget so that's why I'm using a 121 yr old barn loft.. Lol.. But I've seen other flier's set ups and they look fantastic. I appreciate all the advice you folks are giving me. I would love to get into racing once these birds get going. I travel 45 miles to work everyday so I figure once they become fit maybe I'll take them to work with me. Lol.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
That sounds excellent. I'm probably going to make a simple aviary outside with no doors or anything special, and put a trap to directly go into and out of the coop in another location, such as the door. I've seen plans for a drop trap - They look simple to make and I'll build it so it can be totally closed off when I'm not there. Maybe make a 3 or 4 bay drop trap? I'll put a landing pad down on the outside with maybe a compartment underneath to house a clock? I have pleanty of scrap plywood from the project so far so a compartment underneath wouldn't be too much to make. I'm on a budget so that's why I'm using a 121 yr old barn loft.. Lol.. But I've seen other flier's set ups and they look fantastic. I appreciate all the advice you folks are giving me. I would love to get into racing once these birds get going. I travel 45 miles to work everyday so I figure once they become fit maybe I'll take them to work with me. Lol.
drop traps are low tech and easy and the birds don't hesitate to use it like some bob door way traps can. the trap is easy and can be closed when you want to keep critters out at night. the thing is you need a landing board and big enough they will want to land on it and the birds also will need to be trained on how to use the trapdoor when it is set.

racing has different issues and one is the keeper wants the bird to trap in as quick as possible..not come in when he feels like it,

for people like me who just let my birds out to fly and not racing , I open my drop traps and leave them open untill they come in for the evening and then I close them for the night. thats it. yes a hawk can get in if he really tries as the door is not set, but that is why I only let them out when Im home and if there is a ruckus I know about it. the birds do enjoy coming and going in and out of the loft to bring in sticks to make nests and they eat at their leisure. which is the opposite of what a race pigeon needs to be doing, so really it is not the trap door but how you deal with your pigeons and what you want out of them. I have the droptrap door because In case I want to use it, like if my birds are out and I have to leave unexpectedly or if I want to cut time out short because I saw a hawk..etc.. I prop my open at the bottom about four inches and they just drop right in. of course you always have to do the trainng from a settling cage first.

·
Registered
320 Posts
drop traps are low tech and easy and the birds don't hesitate to use it like some bob door way traps can. the trap is easy and can be closed when you want to keep critters out at night. the thing is you need a landing board and big enough they will want to land on it and the birds also will need to be trained on how to use the trapdoor when it is set.

racing has different issues and one is the keeper wants the bird to trap in as quick as possible..not come in when he feels like it,

for people like me who just let my birds out to fly and not racing , I open my drop traps and leave them open untill they come in for the evening and then I close them for the night. thats it. yes a hawk can get in if he really tries as the door is not set, but that is why I only let them out when Im home and if there is a ruckus I know about it. the birds do enjoy coming and going in and out of the loft to bring in sticks to make nests and they eat at their leisure. which is the opposite of what a race pigeon needs to be doing, so really it is not the trap door but how you deal with your pigeons and what you want out of them. I have the droptrap door because In case I want to use it, like if my birds are out and I have to leave unexpectedly or if I want to cut time out short because I saw a hawk..etc.. I prop my open at the bottom about four inches and they just drop right in. of course you always have to do the trainng from a settling cage first.
All excellent points Silver Wings....
I completely agree. The current loft (in design) is very different from my "White Bird" loft compared with my 'racing loft' due to these facts...
The folks here at PT have given me a 'racing bug' and oftah!!! Here we go... I really feel a foot in each camp -- and it can be a wide stance!! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts