Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raise pet/show birds in a prisoner loft.
I built a gravity feeder that can (when needed) hold 4 days or more worth of the feed I have for them (22% protein poultry pellets mixed with pop corn)

I get small bags of unsalted, raw, shelled and chopped peanuts.
My loft is only a couple of months old and I'm hand feeding very small amounts of the peanuts, every day, to help them adjust to us.

I know the fat content will help during the winter months but am I doing harm to them or is there a real nutritional value with the peanuts?

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I raise pet/show birds in a prisoner loft.
I built a gravity feeder that can (when needed) hold 4 days or more worth of the feed I have for them (22% protein poultry pellets mixed with pop corn)

I get small bags of unsalted, raw, shelled and chopped peanuts.
My loft is only a couple of months old and I'm hand feeding very small amounts of the peanuts, every day, to help them adjust to us.

I know the fat content will help during the winter months but am I doing harm to them or is there a real nutritional value with the peanuts?

Thanks,
Randy
pigeons that do not loft fly only need about 12 to 13 % protein, I think you have way too much with 22% pellet and then peanuts!, I would try some chopped greens instead, if you are breeding and they are feeding young the feed sounds ok, the popcorn brings down the level a bit, they should have a pigeon grain mix with the pellet and not just corn.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry. I should have mentioned that they are feeding young. The corn is only for winter. The peanuts are just a treat. I went with the 22% poultry breeder pellets because they were breeding. I do need to start giving them greens. Thanks

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
I raise American Show Racers they a large pigeon when training these birds for shows many of us use peanuts as a reward,when they are in the show cage.This is done so that the bird will remain calm when the judge reaches into the cage to pick up the bird.For smaller birds you may need choped peanuts or a smaller seed as a treat hemp seed for one. I also do not believe that one peanut a day is going to make your birds very fat. GEORGE;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.