Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have 3 young pigeons of different ages that are in for rehab.
when feeding the youngest last night i saw that she now has lesions in her throat (trichomonaisis) or canker.
her throat was clear a week ago when she came in, i started them all with flagyl last night.
my question is, is there an easier way to treat, the oldest is completely weaned, the second oldest is only being fed once a day neither of these 2 are showing any signs but i'm treating because they are being housed together and they have been exposed.
the youngest is being hand fed twice a day soon to go to once a day.
i hate having to grab them twice a day for meds and i planned to have them weaned by the weekend and would like to get them in the outdoor aviary for pre conditioning as long as the weather cooperates and i can release my cat birds, but once they are out there i won't be able to catch them for meds.
so i either have to keep them in for the next 10 days or find the best way to treat the water.
any suggestions, i have never had to treat more than one or two for this long before they were ready for the outdoor cage and i have always relied on flagyl
they are all at a pretty good weight even the sick one, right around 280 grams

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
use the flagyl, I really think it is better for treatment. the stuff in the water IMO is more for preventative type thing. so in for 10 more days! sorry.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, that's what i figured, they are going to hate me by the end of the treatment, but i guess that's okay since they are going to be wild birds

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Get Spartrix, three days in a row one tablet per pigeon. Canker usually disappears after firs day.;)
I like it because is very safe even for babies.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
That's the one!:)
You can overdose to 600mg and still safe. Most other medicines have some side effects and are not safe for babies.
Instruction says single dose, but I prefer to be on safe side and most others do. So use it for 3 days. These are bit more expansive than mine ($ 10 per 100) though.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your so flippen smart plamenh!! i put a call into a local guy who has a loft to see if he has any he can sell me, if he doesn't i'll order some.
that foys is only one state away so it shouldn't take to long to get here, now the next issue is when i get it will it be okay to stop the flagyl

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The spartrix is seeming to be resistant in some birds and the longer dose of metronidazole has been necessary. I don't know if you are noticing that in SA, plamenh, but Terry first noticed it in Southern California earlier in the year and Jay3 had babies with an extremely stubborn case a few months ago.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i ordered the spartrix today i'm sure it will take a couple of days to get here and i'm gonna give it a shot, i'll let you know how he does, but it will be hard to tell, the flagyl is begining to work already, and i have been gently debriding with dilute betadine because he was having trouble breathing and he had alot of mucus.
i can't get over how quickly he got in trouble, i have never had a case develop in my care, they always have it allready when they come in usually, it really happened fast you see how it's a quick killer of babies.
i had a stubborn case this year also i had a baby on flagyl for 3 weeks, but he had the worst case i have ever seen and ended up with a scissor beak

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Trichomoniasis parasite is spread through food or drinking water that is contaminated with fresh saliva or droppings from an infected bird. The disease is most prevalent in autumn and winter, particularly when the birds are grouped in large flocks. Garden birds, raptors and gamebirds all carry the parasite, but it is only when the parasite multiplies in the bird that it becomes life threatening. The parasite affects the bird’s digestive tract and causes lesions in the throat of the infected bird. These make it progressively harder for the bird to swallow its food and breathe. The infected birds die from choking or starvation.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
The Trichomoniasis parasite is spread through food or drinking water that is contaminated with fresh saliva or droppings from an infected bird. The disease is most prevalent in autumn and winter, particularly when the birds are grouped in large flocks. Garden birds, raptors and gamebirds all carry the parasite, but it is only when the parasite multiplies in the bird that it becomes life threatening. The parasite affects the bird’s digestive tract and causes lesions in the throat of the infected bird. These make it progressively harder for the bird to swallow its food and breathe. The infected birds die from choking or starvation.
thats great info, but Im sure she already knows that stuff...she was asking about the meds...spartrix one day tab vs flagyl for 10 days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
treating multiples canker

The antiprotozoal drugs which were used successfully in treating this disease, such as dimetridazole and metronidazole, have been removed from the market. Experimentally, a number of drugs are active against trichomonas infection. Use of 0.1% copper sulfate (100 mg per 100 ml of drinking water), 0.5% hydrochloric acid or 0.02% mercuric chloride (sublimate) is worth investigating. The optimum time to treat breeding pairs is at the initiation of egg production.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The spartrix is seeming to be resistant in some birds and the longer dose of metronidazole has been necessary. I don't know if you are noticing that in SA, plamenh, but Terry first noticed it in Southern California earlier in the year and Jay3 had babies with an extremely stubborn case a few months ago.
Yes Charis, we have the same problem here in SA. I had cases when Carnidazole and Metronidazole and Ronidazole failed in the row and still have nightmares about it.
That’s why I keep at any point of time:
Spartrix - Carnidazole
Ronsec – Ronidazole
Soft trico 2000 – Secnidazole
Emtryl – Dimetridazole
Soft Niadizole – Niadizole
Medtrich – Metronidazole
I already on several occasions mentioned that so far combination of Carnidazole and Dimetrdazole works best for me.
I prefer to start with Spartrix, because is safe and gentle on babies and works fast when there is not resistance and you can mix it with other medications.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Yes Charis, we have the same problem here in SA. I had cases when Carnidazole and Metronidazole and Ronidazole failed in the row and still have nightmares about it.
That’s why I keep at any point of time:
Spartrix - Carnidazole
Ronsec – Ronidazole
Soft trico 2000 – Secnidazole
Emtryl – Dimetridazole
Soft Niadizole – Niadizole
Medtrich – Metronidazole
I already on several occasions mentioned that so far combination of Carnidazole and Dimetrdazole works best for me.
I prefer to start with Spartrix, because is safe and gentle on babies and works fast when there is not resistance and you can mix it with other medications.
Really, I had hoped you weren't seeing it there too.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Unfortunately, drug abuse is common practice all over the world.:(
Member of Free Me – Wildlife Rescue in SA advised me to place water fountains in my garden with Dimetridazole (that’s what they practice) to help feral birds!
Dimertidazole treatment is 3 days. No way feral birds will get required dosage unless they stay in one place for three days.
Veterinarians refuse to see and touch ferals not so much because being cold hearted, but because when we release them tomorrow after let say Spartrix treatment, remaining 5~6 Trichomonas in bird’s crop who survived magic pill are now resistant and in the future their number will become 5000xxx~6000xxx…
Presently whole range of antibiotics and anti-protozoa drugs will be pulled off the market worldwide because of their abuse and building resistance in pathogens. (information is from Bayer SA and Pfizer SA)
This is the main reason why I’m trying to find natural, herbal, holistic, whatever way to fight diseases in birds (not because I like my birds smelling of garlic, cinnamon, vinegar…). :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts