Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small flock of 4 birds. What are some other treats i can give them? I've done my research but Please let me know if there are any items i should not give them off the list, pointers or ideas..

I GIVE ALL IN MODERATION:

1. Peanuts
2. Black oil sunflower seeds
3. various greens ( lettuce, sprouts, fresh peas,
4. Carrots
5. Meal worms (only a couple)
6. fresh corn
7. Pine nuts and other treen nuts

any other suggestions?

thank you,
PIB

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I wouldn't give them meal worms. They don't need that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thank you, they will miss them, they seem to really like them but yeah not too natural of a treat.

PIB

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Other than that the other things are fine. Just not too many. Remember they are treats.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have doves a smaller cousin to the pigeon. My doves ultimate favorite treat is a crumb of cheddar cheese. They will do anything in the world for a crumb or more of cheddar cheese. Please note that this is a very rare treat that I give them, hence their most favorite treat. It has everything they love, protein and a bit of much needed salt that they normally don't get from their mainly seedy diet.
I also allow them to forage in a box of garden dirt during their winter stay indoors. They find little tidbits of stuff and the occasional tiny worm to eat. Very good for their nutrition and emotional well being. :)
Other then that I hull a few sunflower seeds for them to enjoy too. They readily wait in front of me to finish de-hulling one. Sometimes they're a bit impatient and start to perch on my hulling hands which makes it a difficult task. :D

Over all I suggest you do a bit of research as to what their wild cousins enjoy foraging for the most. It has helped me a lot. I found out about many natural foods my doves enjoy as well. Such as "ladies thumb" its an edible weed with tiny red and white granules of I think flowers or seeds that my doves really enjoy eating in the summer. You can find them growing in any garden or back yard with lots of sun in the summer. :)
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/weeds/plants/lady_thumb.htm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting thank you! All looks great.

A little nervous about the cheese, birds cant process dairy isn't that correct? except a little yogurt to help with probiotics for canker and things like that.

thanks,

PIB

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Eating soil and worms can cause them to get worms. They can pick up eggs in the soil. Not a great idea. A good grit would be better.

Probiotics are good for them, but it won't help to prevent canker. It does help their immune system to keep down other bad bacteria though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
All my 11 doves are in great shape. Doves and pigeons are mostly seed eaters But they are still half omnivore. In other words they like a bit of everything. I had had my doves since I was a little girl and none have had worms other then a mosquito born issue that happens only once in awhile only in summer and it always goes away. My oldest dove a male I have had since 1984/85. So I'm definitely doing something right if they've lived extremely healthy lives.
So yeah nothing wrong with a crumb of cheese now and again. ☺ Its just a source of protein and a bit of salt both good things for a healthy birds. Many parrot owners also give human foods to their pet birds such as pasta with spaghetti sauce and cheese. So no harm there. There are many recipes out there to make special birdy bread for your birds to enjoy. They use to print them out in Bird Talk before the magazine went bust.

BTW they also like a treat of red currents and the tiny unripened grapes as summer treats as well.

Other then that I also treat my other animals quite well. One a fish I had for over 18 years. It was an yo-yo loach who on occasion enjoyed a small crumb of pot roast and or cooked white chicken breast. Loaches normally live to around 10 years. So yeah my animals get lots of love and out live most peoples pets.
So I know what I'm talking about. ;) Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts