Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a bird that is strong on the wing I call him #10. He will fly with my other birds but after only 45-60 seconds he will land in a tree. I can flush him and he will fly to another tree. So far I have kept him out of tosses because I felt he is not ready. Am I babying this bird? I am starting to think he needs a toss to start flying. I am getting frustrated.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Grim, He sounds scared. Maybe he will come around on his own if you give him some more time.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I've had a few 'lazy' young birds like this so far this year. It can get frustrating, but eventually they'll learn to fly with the others. Try not to scare the bird when trying to get him to fly, like throwing things, waving things, etc. That would only make the chances of the bird not wanting to be around the loft, even higher. What I do when I have lazy birds, is load them up with more experienced birds that fly more. Then I take them across the yard [we have a big yard] and release them from the crate. I normally do this for about a week, each day moving them to a different location, farther and more out of sight from the loft. By the end of the week, all the birds are usually exploding from the crate into flight as a kit, instead of flying all over the place and landing in nearby trees. This helps them get used to the crate and form a better kit in the air. Plus it 'forces' them to fly without actually leaving the yard, so they're exercising around the loft without you worrying about losing birds up the road that might not have been ready. The more a bird exercises, they more muscle it will build, and in turn it will need to fly more in order to get its energy out/stretch the muscles. Kind of like keeping a hyper puppy inside for a day; when you finally let it out, it'll run around for hours :)

That's my way of things. I'm sure everyone has a different method of getting their birds to fly. Hope that helped some :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yesterday they flew and he went to a tree. A hawk flushed him and he flew high and south out of sight. He returned before sunset. I think he learned an important lesson. Thanks for the tip Becky.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty much. It just flew in the same tree it did not seem to be hunting. I think it was curious. I saw it just glide into the same tree. Odd

The little guy rocketed up very high and off. So on the plus side I think he learned sitting in trees alone can be dangerous.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
It's actually sort of good that a hawk came near your bird, so that he'll know from now on that hawks = bad, and to get away quickly. At least the hawk didn't attack, or your bird would have to learn the hard way.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I have a bird that is strong on the wing I call him #10. He will fly with my other birds but after only 45-60 seconds he will land in a tree. I can flush him and he will fly to another tree. So far I have kept him out of tosses because I felt he is not ready. Am I babying this bird? I am starting to think he needs a toss to start flying. I am getting frustrated.

Hello Grim,

Couple of things I would want to know before venturing a possible opinion.

1. How old is the bird ? A 45 day old bird for example, is not old enough yet to be doing any real flying.

2. How much, and what kind of feed are you using ? An overweight or over fed bird, will tend to do a lot of sitting.

3. The other possible issue, is something could be ailing the bird. Unhealthy birds, or injured birds, do not do much flying.

Healthy YB's which have reached a certain maturity, which are being fed correctly, just love to fly ! If the above issues have been reviewed and are not the cause, then you will need to provide some road work. If you don't carefully review the above mentioned issues, then road work will result in a MIA situation ! So review these issues carefully.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are good things to keep in mind. It is possible he is overfed. I feed them all the same, but the others just may be more excited about flight. He is over 2 months old. I know what you mean by a 45 day old. They seem heavy on the wing and go slow. I will cut back on his feed and see if that helps. They all seem healthy otherwise and just had a second worm treatment. They are also getting garlic.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Even at 45 days the bird should make a few passes and land. Not sit the tree. And at 2 months it should be flying ok with your other birds. You might when you fly it next when it comes in to land jump it back up by clapping your hands befor it lands. This work for me. And fly your birds hungry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts