Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
As I mentioned in the lst post, my pigeon was treated against PMV and it was ok. Suddenly -2 days ago-his poos became wartely with a strange smell of rancid milk and his voice got lower-just like people' sore throat. I found out that Trichomonadosis gives similar symptoms. Have anyone had to do with this disease?Please help!I'll be grateful for every hint!

latest news:!
I found the doctor and she spotted a yellow objects on his vocal chords. She prescribe him a treatment incl.Spartrix.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm sorry your bird is sick again. Have to checked the "Resources" link on this forum? Lots of great information. One place I've found really helpful is by Philodice. The e-book has information on pages(157+158) just about Trichomoniasis. I would think probiotics would help too. Some yogurts have active cultures in them. Look up the threads about garlic too.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hello,

I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that it is trich on those two symptoms. The change of voice could be a respiratory infection (I have one that suddenly started "gurgling" when he "spoke", the vet has diagnosed a bacterial infection).

These are the most common symptoms of Trich, not all these symptoms will be visible in each patient:

Visible lump in neck or vent
Firm yellow or brown cheesy mass in back of mouth
Soft flat creamy white growths in throat
Inability to swallow seed
Mouth may be partially open
Birds stand upright with head high and neck straight (penguin posture)
Crop full of water
Distortion or swelling of forehead (if sinuses have been invaded)
Vomiting
Increased mucous in the throat

Can you give us a bit more information:

What does the inside of his mouth look like?

Have a close look at the glottis (the entry to his breathing tube, it looks like a hole in the middle of the tongue). Is there anything visible there (like a feather?)

When he is at rest, is his beak completely closed?

Are his beak wattles clean and white?

Have you changed his diet recently?

Have there been any changes to his bedding?

Has he been exposed to other birds?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
Thank you very much for your intrerest. I have found doctor with birds specialization. He confirmed Trichomonadosis. My pigeon lives in my house, he has his 'corner', always clean. When he rest his beak is closed. I didn't change anything in his diet recently and because he doesn't fly, he is not exposed to the others birds.His nose is clean and there are no problems with breathing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, maybe later,now he is very angy with me because I gave him the tablet, I assume the tablet was not a tasty bit:)He is in his "secret" hiding place and grinnig at me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No offence to your Vet but in severe cases of Trichomonas this will not work.
I don't know. she is the only vet with bird specialization in this town. I have to believe that she is right. She has looked at my pigeon very carefuly, and she said there are little yellow tumors on the vocal chords.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No offence to your Vet but in severe cases of Trichomonas this will not work.
I have asked my family doctor what is a treatment for people inTrichomonas. She said that the same as in case of my pigeon. I also checked veterinary site for Spartrix and it says that 1 tablet (10 mg) is enough to eliminate the Trichomonas.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
There are an growing existance in Trichomonas towards Carnidazole. Dosage is 10 mg once off. Because of overuse of the drug, sometime does not work. It has been noticed in USA, UK and here in SA. I don't know how is in Poland, i hope that that's not the case. Just my advice is based on my experience. If you give one tablet it may not work, does not worked for me in several cases. If you give tree tablets for tree days, usually works better and you cannot overdose.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, thank you very much for advise and I will observe the pigeon in next five days. In Poland that medicine you can only get at the vet.
Now the pigeon is very lively and a little bit angry with me and the poops are a litlle bit more solid.
best regards

1 - 19 of 19 Posts