Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear, I got a injures indian fancy bird from the neigbour. I normaly have hen and rooster in the back yard, but they are on vacation, so I had a cage for this bird. I also have a turtel and rabbit in my back gard. I also have 3 small kids. I do love animals, but I have now knowledge about pidgen. He is twisting neck, head upside down and he is going in sircels. The person who found him have had him many weeks, and given him some medecin and is feeding him with his hand, and holding his head.
So what shall we do with him/her, he is eating when he is feed, but is he sick?
I have no idee.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Can you post a picture of the way he looks?

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hi

The twisting of the neck so the head is upside down could be caused by a few things, though the most common are a virus (pigeon paramyxovirus - PPMV) or a bacterial infection (salmonellosis). Can you tell us where you are located?

A few questions, which may help us in offering advice:

Did the neighbour say the bird has been like this for some weeks? Did they say what medicine they have given the bird or what they believed was wrong with it?

When the bird is going in circles, does he walk round in circles or just sping around?

Does the bird try to eat any seed? If so, what happens?

Does it have any swellings on its legs where the joints are?
What are its droppings like?

The bird should be kept in a fairly quiet place, out of hot sun. It should be provided with a deep pot or dish or food such as mixed corn, or wild bird seed, unless your neighbour gave you some pigeon food for it. It should have a deep but not very wide pot of water.

It sounds like it still needs help with food. What was your neighbour feeding it with? When I have had them like that, I have fed them just warm, thawed frozen peas and corn (sweetcorn) one by one, pushed to the back of the bird's mouth. I wrap the bird in a towel to keep it from flapping and strugggling too much, and open its beak whilst keeping its head upright. I fed them about 40 - 50 pieces twice a day. Once they were picking up seed and eating I reduced the hand feeding.

John

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Trine Lise - thank you for helping the pigeon...you are obviously an animal-lover ! he/she can likely be 'cured' or ushered through the condition.

First of all...do not worry, it is NOT contagious to humands or other animals.

Next...as John asked...can she/he eat and drink on her own ???? because often, the condition gets bad enough where the pigeon CANNOT...in which case, a human must hanfeed vegetables as described above.

It could be a virus which will take a little time to pass, or it could be neurological symptoms due to shock or a collision.

Right now, the pigeon needs supportive care ( a warm and quiet place, food and water ).

Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picture indian fancy pidgeon and I thought he had a concution, but after reading PMV?

I have uploaded 3 pictures of the fancy indian pigeon.
He is eating very well, and poing a lot, no diarea, but he is going in sircels, shaking, loosing his head all the time, and need to shake it up again. He loves us plaing and talking to him. After reading about the Paramuxovirus Im afraid that he may have had it, and now he is getting better. The driver of my neigbour found him on the street and have been taking care of him for 3 weeks. He also got som drops from a vet, and it seemes to help him.

I do not understand, he eats when we hold his head, and also drink, but he can not coordinate his movement to do anything him selv. He can not fly, and hardly walk, he goes in sircels.

Sins I do have chickens, hen and rooster, Im afraid that he could pass virus to them, if his has PMV, so a very kind neigbour is looking after him. I had him for 24 houers observations, observed his bahavior, eating and drinking habit, and of corse his poo. But I do not know anything about pigeon, but I would love to have him back again in the hause, if he do not pass anything to the others birds. The familly wo is looking after him now, do not have any animals from before.

Hope somebody can tell me what is wrong with him. He will not live without help for humans the rest of his life, if he does not get better. Bur may be the quality of his life is good enouch..I do not know if he is in pain, it seem like he do not have any pain.

Best regards Lisa

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need to post some more pictures of the indian fancy pigeon, his get goes very down to the ground.
He can not eat and drink by himself at all, and this has been for atleast 3 weeks.

Im very happy to hear that he will be getting better. We live in Dubai, and it is very hot here, may be to hot for the pigeons, is gets 50 degrees in the summer. I read somewhere that if he had the PMV, he will react all the time on stress, but he is moved now to a hause with just one kids, not 3 small kids who is playing with him all the time. So nothing will pass over to small chickens? thru the poo?

Best regards Lisa

Attachments

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
You should keep him apart from chickens, chickens have low susceptibility to Pigeon PMV but they can catch the virus if the poops contaminate the chickens food...in chickens it causes a very mild (lentogenic) form of Newcastle Disease. The pigeon will stop shedding the virus after 6 weeks after his symptoms started, then he an mix with other birds.

I have had lots of pigeons with PPMV, and even the ones that are left with severe neurological symptoms can feed themselves and drink on their own. I put the food in a large deep tray that they can stand it and they eat from that. The water has to go in a narrow topped container or in a very shallow dish, because there is a danger that they can drown.

They are not in pain, Calcium supplements help them control their heads (that is often the worse problems).

Cynthia

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you John,Charis, Jaye,Cynthia for helping me with the pigeon,he is better

Dear all of you, thank you for helping me a lot. I will check out more of the advise you give me.

1. The bird was almost dead as the neigbour found him. The neigbor tok him to the wet and got some drops he gave him for 3 days. Then he got bettere, but still can not eat or dring by himself. But we will do the arrangments you told me to, but the pigeon can not coordinate one move on his body...so I thin this will not happende..that he will ever eat by himself. The driver who found him think he was crached by a car, but it is unclear why he was on the street, may be somebody left him because he was sick. This is Dubai, and some people seems to take animals, and then leave the contry...but this is speculations.

2. When the bird is going in circles, does he walk round in circles or just sping around? When the bird is trying to walk, it is circles...not much spring around.

3. Does the bird try to eat any seed? If so, what happens? He loves his food...but need help, need to hold his neck. It goes to the stomack.

4. Does it have any swellings on its legs where the joints are? This I will check...he is with my neigbour, and they are still sleeping. I did not check this ever before.

5. What are its droppings like? Perfect dropings I think, you can see some of the pictures I have posted.

6. The bird should be kept in a fairly quiet place, out of hot sun. He is out of the sun, but it is hot here... He gets pigeon food, did not check anything els. He eats in the morning and evening, because the driver who had him for 3 weeks, work 12 houers or more...this is a poor man who took the bird and feed and treated him, so he has the good hart. He has to move to another lockation, where he can not bring the bird. He asked if I could take him together with my other hen, chicken and rooster, and I did, but now the pigeon is in a new very quite home.

I will come back with the sweeling information as soon I have seen the pigeon today.

Best regards Trine-Lise

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Sounds like the pigeon is not doing badly at all, really. It is more a matter of time than anything else. As long as he keeps eating and drinking and pooing....he will probably be OK. Usually you will see some improving...slowly, slowly....but you may not see this for another week or two.

It just takes patience. I do hope you are instructing your neighbor, since he/she has not taken care of animals before.

If he/she likes to be talked to and held and petted, try to do this at least once a day if not more...it can help keep him calm. Often times, the symptoms get worse when the pigeon becomes agitated or worried or stressed. The calmer they are, the more relaxed they are and the less the symptoms will happen.

Thank you for helping the pigeon. He/she is very beautiful, actually. If an Indian fancy...I am wondering if her owner just saw her getting sick and let her go onto the street (?) Or maybe she escaped her home and got the virus while hanging out with feral pigeons (?)

As long as she/he still seems alert ...that is a good sign. Please keep us posted. And THANK YOU FOR CARING !!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts