Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I'm brand new here. :) eggs have been on my apt balcony (California, nice weather) for 8 days, and I have been observing the pretty pigeon. She was moving them to spots where the door could hit them a couple of the days...I want to help her... so, I put a little shallow open black empty lean cuisine tray/container in the good spot where she finally had put them last today, in a corner. I added some cotton and loose sage sticks in a separate part right in the tray so she can see it and I didn't directly touch the eggs but moved them gently to the tray. Do you think she will now maybe make a "normal" nest, so we can co-exist? I enjoy watching her and the process. I saw her come back and she was checking it out but not sitting on them again yet...now its dark, and i can't see that inner corner area (if I shine a light, of course she leaves the area). So I hope it works! Any input? :):) I am in Hollywood, CA in the city...i have no access to "hay" and the balcony is small...just two chairs and an altar of candles out there. Any input is welcome. She or he is really cute.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I did send you a PM from your other post. I wouldn't use a lean cuisine container, as that would tip easily as they like to perch on the edge. Also cotton isn't really a good idea, as the strands can tangle around their feet and toes. Straw or timothy hay may work. With pigeons, they don't like it when you change the nest and may abandon it. But them being on cement is no good either. Can you get some straw or similar? And maybe put a couple of bricks down to enclose it a little bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trying to help with nest

Thank you Jay3! I'm doing as you said. I appreciate the input. I'm off to get timothy hay and a couple of bricks instead. She's still out there w the eggs...I removed the container last night and without touching them with my hand (used a tissue)gently left the eggs for her, and I was happy to see her there this morning. Great advice and thanks! :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Touching them with your hands won't do anything. That's an old wives tale. But if they see you messing around too much, they may feel unsafe and abandon the nest.
There should be 2 pigeons coming. Usually the male sits on the nest during the day, or part of the day, and the female at night. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Help with the nest. :)

Thanks so much for the info, Jay3! For the first time in the 10 days since the egg, I finally saw the other partner/saw them both out there at once. I made the nesting area as you said w bricks and timothy hay and I have seen her investigating the area today, nibble some birdseed and now they both seem to be out for some of the evening.🐦🐦 I hope they are back soon/later on. I really appreciate the advice! Thanks again. I'll update again soon.:)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If there are 2 eggs there, then one of them should be there. Often if the nest is changed they will abandon it and start another nest somewhere else. I hope they haven't left, but leaving it just on plain cement wouldn't have worked well either. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trying to help with a nest...yes, they are now gone. :(

Hey there,

Thank you for all the help. You were right, they have not come back. I was saddened because I had gotten attached and looked forward to looking to see them there. Its been 2 days now. What should I do with the eggs, I could never hurt them. But I travel and cannot tend to babies or eggs. Hopefully, the next will now bring new birds. But what to do with these eggs? Are they alive? If anyone wants them to care for, they may. I'm in Hollywood, Ca. I miss them!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sorry it didn't work out. The eggs don't begin to grow till they sit on them to incubate them. And if they do that, then leave, they die. So just toss them as they won't be any good anyway. And it is difficult for someone to raise newly hatched babies. That pair will start a new nest somewhere else. Thanks for trying for them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
abandoned nest

And thank YOU for all of the sound advice & kindness! I will remove the eggs and will sage and put my crystals out, and hope another little birdie family comes and eats birdseed and uses the timothy hay. Does that ever happen? :) I see loads of them flying around here in my area. Now they have a pretty cushy situation!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you put seed out, then once they find it, birds should come for the seed. I also do put straw and things out in the backyard in wire cages or baskets for the songbirds to take for nest building in the spring, and they take it.
How high up is your balcony?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Abandoned nest I was helping them with...

3 rd floor in a busy city. Only I can get to it, no animals from ground or street. Its pretty high up. I do wish they had stayed. I miss them. I got rid of the eggs they abandoned but left my bricks and timothy hay nest and there is food and water. I hope some more show up at some point and use it. They were really lovely to watch, I do miss them. :) Its a very pretty balcony with gold sparkly pillows and a gold candle altar and nice stone fountain and white christmas type lights and buddhas - its small & pretty & peaceful, and I think maybe that's what attracted them. I'm not even out there much.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well I hope you will have more find your quiet spot, and give you something to enjoy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts