Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, its supposed to be a high of 47 and low of 30 tomorrow, one box going to tulsa, on to california.
Is that ok to ship?
Also, one bird has one leg, so i'm going to tape a nest in his portion of box. Is there anything else i need to know about shipping these birds? Preparing the boxes? What about the birds, do i tube feed them something before hand?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Ok, its supposed to be a high of 47 and low of 30 tomorrow, one box going to tulsa, on to california.
Is that ok to ship?
Also, one bird has one leg, so i'm going to tape a nest in his portion of box. Is there anything else i need to know about shipping these birds? Preparing the boxes? What about the birds, do i tube feed them something before hand?
Since you can and do tube feed, then it would be beneficial for the birds to tube a little water into them just before you box them up. I know a fancier out in Oregon who does this to every bird he ships. Other than that, they should be just fine.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Renee, do you tape any paper towels to the bottom of box? Do you put seed in the box? Like some scattered seed, in case they get stranded?
Is the weather part ok to you? The temperature i mean?
Can you tell i'm a BIT frantic about this! I've been worrying over it for MONTHS now!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Renee, do you tape any paper towels to the bottom of box? Do you put seed in the box? Like some scattered seed, in case they get stranded?
Is the weather part ok to you? The temperature i mean?
Can you tell i'm a BIT frantic about this! I've been worrying over it for MONTHS now!
The temps should be fine. There's really no need to put any seeds in the box. It's dark in the box, even if they are sitting in daylight and even darker when in a truck or on a plane. Just let them eat all they want between now and tomorrow. They'll be fine. They would just poop in and on the seeds anyway. They really don't need food in the box. The water is THE most important thing and if you can tube some water into them, then I'm SURE they'll be fine.
I also put a few handfulls of wood chips in the bottom of the box. You can use pine needles or even shredded paper. Put something in there though so they aren't on just the cardboard.
And stop worrying so much. You can worry a little tiny bit, because we all do when we ship a bird, but not TOO MUCH......LOL

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok Renee, but i'm allowed, i'm a virgin! Shipping virgin!! LOL!
Ok, i agree they should be fine, but the incompetency the main post office has shown so far JUST talking to them about shipping is what worries me the most! They seem like total morons!

·
Registered
505 Posts
ok Renee, but i'm allowed, i'm a virgin! Shipping virgin!! LOL!
Ok, i agree they should be fine, but the incompetency the main post office has shown so far JUST talking to them about shipping is what worries me the most! They seem like total morons!
And I thought our post office was bad! Whewwww! There IS a worst one,eh?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, they are VERY bad! I have been quoted prices ranging from $30 to $150 to ship, been told so many wrong things, it amazes me!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, i was hoping for better weather, it is low of 24, high 40, and raining. I forget, are they in a heated cabin or not?
Its supposed to snow tomorrow, we'll see what the crappy PO says!!!

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
ok, i was hoping for better weather, it is low of 24, high 40, and raining. I forget, are they in a heated cabin or not?
Its supposed to snow tomorrow, we'll see what the crappy PO says!!!

They say the cabin where animals go is supposed to be heated. At least that's what they told me here.

Reti

·
Registered
25,396 Posts
They say the cabin where animals go is supposed to be heated. At least that's what they told me here.
Reti
I guess it depends on the airline they use, the post office in Orlando told me they don't have air conditioning in the cabins, so that is why Rosco and other birds went on the night flight from here to Nebraska, that was when the weather was warmer. They do alot of shipping of birds, so they pretty much know the drill.

Perhaps your area doesn't have much demand for shipping birds. Most post offices have nothing to do with shipping and don't have a clue. You have to find the post office that is in charge of flying birds out, they have all the information and schedule the flights.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OMG! I HATE this post office! I finally talked to the retail manager, and she was like, "ok, i gotta call the airlines, dont do anything yet with the birds, i know nothing of shiiping birds...etc etc" Being a real B! If you know what i mean, so another number i have from back in december, the guy is coming in after 2:30, and i seem to remember the guy i spoke with back then, that actually DID know something of shipping, saying that they go on a night flight. I am just bringing them down there either way, it is just RIDICULOUS! I'm just venting i guess!!
Must be Boston doesnt do lots of animal shipping, we'll see. I really hate this PO! Back in december, i FINALLY found a guy that knew something, and now they claim there was no such guy at that number. We'll see if the guy at 2:30 knows anything better....

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
OMG! I HATE this post office! I finally talked to the retail manager, and she was like, "ok, i gotta call the airlines, dont do anything yet with the birds, i know nothing of shiiping birds...etc etc" Being a real B! If you know what i mean, so another number i have from back in december, the guy is coming in after 2:30, and i seem to remember the guy i spoke with back then, that actually DID know something of shipping, saying that they go on a night flight. I am just bringing them down there either way, it is just RIDICULOUS! I'm just venting i guess!!
Must be Boston doesnt do lots of animal shipping, we'll see. I really hate this PO! Back in december, i FINALLY found a guy that knew something, and now they claim there was no such guy at that number. We'll see if the guy at 2:30 knows anything better....

Don't suppose theres another PO you could ship out of? Maybe a more rural area?
Sorry they are making it so hard for you.:( :(

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, i think i finally talked to someone in the know, i'm taking them this afternoon, they will sit in the outgoing section waiting for a flight, a direct flight, to their new homes!! I am SOOO excited someone KNEW SOMETHING! Thats what made me the MOST nervous, them not knowing anything, they scared the lif right outta me, here i am thinking they'll be sitting in a PO somewhere dying! The people just say, "well, i kind of dont really know, but sure, bring 'em down IF you want!" OR if you DARE!!
I have class tonight, but will post late how thr trip went, and you guys better, like, CALL me right when you get them! I have so little faith in this PO! Even though this guy did know SOME things others didnt, he still wasnt sure of some things. Oh, it ISNT a heated cabin they go into! And you believe, there are those baby chicks that go on those flights! UNHEATED!!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts