Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Ok, i think i finally talked to someone in the know, i'm taking them this afternoon, they will sit in the outgoing section waiting for a flight, a direct flight, to their new homes!! I am SOOO excited someone KNEW SOMETHING! Thats what made me the MOST nervous, them not knowing anything, they scared the lif right outta me, here i am thinking they'll be sitting in a PO somewhere dying! The people just say, "well, i kind of dont really know, but sure, bring 'em down IF you want!" OR if you DARE!!
I have class tonight, but will post late how thr trip went, and you guys better, like, CALL me right when you get them! I have so little faith in this PO! Even though this guy did know SOME things others didnt, he still wasnt sure of some things. Oh, it ISNT a heated cabin they go into! And you believe, there are those baby chicks that go on those flights! UNHEATED!!
Those in the know are NEVER sure until they actually have the go ahead and approval to ship on a carrier, once they call you and you get the birds there just in time for the plane to leave the birds will be fine.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi Moxie,
Just wanted to say I'll be nervous along with you until we hear that they have arrived. I had my Isabella shipped and it was very tense for me, even though everything went just fine!

One thing the shipper did was to tape a small plastic container to the bottom of the box with a damp sponge in it. Like one of those sauce containers that you get at a chinese place...with part of the lid cut out so the birds could lick the sponge if they got really really thirsty. But the sponge can't fall out and get the rest of the box damp.

I had to call around the Lowell PO a few times to finally get someone helpful. He called me when the box came in and let me come to the shipping center to pick her up so she didn't go out on the delivery truck and sit there all day or get left on my doorstep. (he offered to personally bring her to my house, but i felt better picking her up myself)

Maybe the person on the other end can call their PO too, and do something similar to ensure the shortest time in the box for the birds? (The PO probably thought I was nuts because I kept calling them but I don't care...)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sent them! On my cell phone, on my way to class, Just wanted to post quick, they GUARANTEE the arrival of both boxes by 12 noon tomorrow!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Sent them! On my cell phone, on my way to class, Just wanted to post quick, they GUARANTEE the arrival of both boxes by 12 noon tomorrow!
Boy, you're PO really DOESN'T know what they are doing do they??? LOL
There isn't supposed to be any more guaranteed next day delivery. Doesn't mean that the birds won't make it by the next day, because sometimes they do, but from what I understand, it's supposed to be a 2 day guarantee. Think part of it was lots of people were getting a refund when the birds didn't arrive on time. Anyway, IF they DON'T make it by tomorrow, DON"T FREAK OUT. Many destinations are two days of travel time. Not a big deal.
I sent a bird to CA in less than 24 hours. I also sent some to Maine and it took 2 days. Figure that one out.:rolleyes: Remember, I'm in VA.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi Renee, As long as you are figuring shipping, I got my birds form Ohio, and it took 3 days. Then, "A" post office 60 miles away, called me to tell me my birds were there! :eek: yeah, the next day they were at my P.O..... I did go and pick them up. but still, 3 days? :confused:

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hard to tell what happened really. When was that? About 2 years ago, there were some REAL problems with shipping. Some PO's would, some wouldn't, some didn't know if they could,.......it was a real mess. Things are much better now in most places, except for Boston, MA it appears. :D

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
For my part, I've been waiting for this to happen for a loooooonnnnggg time. One of the birds that is coming is Ol' One Beak, the bird who lost her entire upper beak and ceres with that bad case of canker last year. Moxie has been keeping that bird alive by feeding it formula for all of this time, as well as keeping his tongue from drying out by keeping it covered.

She's sending the bird to me in the hopes that between my vet and I that we can come up with some kind of prosthetic beak arrangement that will allow Ol' One Beak to feed herself and preen normally. Moxie also had another bird whose lower beak scissored badly because of canker that became Ol' One Beak's mate. That one's been getting fed or supplemented the hard way too for all this time, I think.

Moxie's certainly had to do a lot of things for her rescues that border on the heroic but aren't widely known.

Pidgey

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
For my part, I've been waiting for this to happen for a loooooonnnnggg time. One of the birds that is coming is Ol' One Beak, the bird who lost her entire upper beak and ceres with that bad case of canker last year. Moxie has been keeping that bird alive by feeding it formula for all of this time, as well as keeping his tongue from drying out by keeping it covered.

She's sending the bird to me in the hopes that between my vet and I that we can come up with some kind of prosthetic beak arrangement that will allow Ol' One Beak to feed herself and preen normally. Moxie also had another bird whose lower beak scissored badly because of canker that became Ol' One Beak's mate. That one's been getting fed or supplemented the hard way too for all this time, I think.

Moxie's certainly had to do a lot of things for her rescues that border on the heroic but aren't widely known.

Pidgey

Well, cudos to her for all she does. Good to know that the birds are going to a good person who will care for them. That way Moxie can start on her NEXT adventure. :D There's bound to be one.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Moxxie is a true angel to all those poor pigeons in her area. She has gone above and beyond to save them.
Thanks for taking the beaky couple in, Pidgey. Let us know what arrangements you'll make with the prosthesis.
My Beaky (that's her name) with no lower beak is doing great. Poor thing even tries to bite me. She is eating fine and I don't know how she preens but her feathers look great too. I guess her mate helps her. The only trouble she has is picking up nesting material.

Reti

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Well, here's the update, the PO guaranteed it by noon or they said they would refund my money. It cost $64.00 to ship two boxes, one with 2 birds, one with 3. Oh, actually, Pidgey and Terry, i sent you both an EXTRA bird i found! Didnt think you'd mind! :eek:
LOL! Just jokin'! ;)
Well, Pidgey is the TRUE hero here, i called him when i found ol' one beak, which i begged him to rename! I wanted to PTS RIGHT away, he has some of the pics still, my computer lost them, i'm sure he'll start a thread with them as soon as he gets them to bring us up to speed. It is amazing how bad he looked.
The beak was disgusting, whether it was canker or wet pox, or both, it was HORRIBLE! He talked me out of PTS, ONLY on the basis that i tube feed him a few days so that when i did PTS he was less out of it. I did, but started meds, and the beak fell off. We decided to see how things progressed, the bird didnt notice the beak gone, think was glad to be rid of that painful thing, He started to be a regular pigeon once out of starvation mode and the canker and beak were gone. We decided to ship it to him once better. The shipping, Well, it has been one thing after another, i got this bird in the summer, by the time it was better, it was still too hot to ship, then i didnt have boxes to ship, by the time i got those, i didnt have the outrageous money the PO was quoting me to ship. Pidgey offered to pay, but it was really the principal of them overcharging me.
Then it was in November, holiday shipping season, i waited, until it got to January and got warmer, well, hasnt been warmer until lately. Finally, at least i HOPE, it'll all come together.
I will miss ALL the birds i sent today. The other going to Pidgey is a scissor beak, got a spot of canker or pox next to bottom beak, once it fell off, beak scissored. Probably need some therapy and vet visits i assume. Both these birds i assume are male, but scissor beak and ol one beak act like lovers, it is ADORABLE! Scissor beak will fight to the death to protect Ol' One beak, he will peck and push and bite to get me away from him. I assume it is a him because he never laid an egg, does that matter? I assume it does. Anyways, Ol' One Beak is friendlier, but is sick of getting tubes shoved down his throat, Scissor beak USED to be able to eat seed, but the more it Scissored, he couldnt eat seed anymore. They preen each other, as best they can, and are a very cute couple considering their beak problems! They are such a sweet couple, the one sticking up for the other, it is so sweet. I do wonder if they will move onto new mates at Pidgey's loft. Pidgey was so kind to take these birds, and i cannot think of a better place for them to go, really.
Terry also had to wait for her birds, same reasons, Terry is getting 3 birds, one is an abandoned racing homer, he is depressed because he had found a lover in a feral i released a week ago. He is VERY mad at me, and for days walked around looking for her. The other 2 are lovers, it used to be all 3 were lovers! But Homer moved onto new blood! The other 2 are one feral who had canker, i THINK, and when i went to release her with others, she would WALK back into box, REFUSED to be let go! I think she knew her 2 boyfriends were at my house, and refused to go. Her present boyfriend is the one-legged feral. I found him with one leg withered and dragging from him. He could barely eat, as he couldnt walk well and the other birds got seed first. He is such a sweet sweet bird. He had that adolescent "frog like" coo when i got him, and i just loved it so much, i did laugh at it quite a bit though, it was CUTE!! I will miss ALL of them, and do expect updates, WITH pictures!
Thanks for all the help and support you guys gave me with everything, you're all soooo sweet! If it wasnt for you guys, i wouldnt even be here! I still know so little, but thats why i'm here, so i can ask what to do when i get a bird. I am glad you all enlightened me to the world of pigeons, i never would have known so much about these wonderful birds if it wasnt for you all! :D
And SO SO SOOO sorry Pidgey and Terry it took so long to get my end together on the shipping end! At least i'm not a shipping virgin anymore! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I'm glad the birds are on the way, Moxie! Please post the airbill #'s so we can all be tracking where they are. I sure hope they arrive tomorrow for both Pidgey and I. My post office will call me right away when they arrive to come pick them up.

Our main post office here isn't any better than yours .. I called and called and called today trying to get the go ahead to ship some doves and a pigeon to Florida tomorrow. I couldn't even get anyone in the department on the phone nor did they reply to my three voice mails. I stopped into my local post office this evening to see what they had to say .. basically just bring the birds in around 11 AM so they get on the 1 PM Express Mail truck and all would be well. I suspect the local folks aren't in the know either, so I will call again in the morning and see how it goes.

Terry

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
ok, here's UPS numbers, the phone to call, or go to usps.com, here's 800 number
1 800 222-1811

tracking number for Terry is EH 105210131 US
tracking number for Pidgey is EH 105210145 US

both just say they left Boston yesterday, thats all it says??
Ok, both the number and the web site have been saying they just left, or been processed, at the Boston distribution center at 5:54 PM.
I'm so scared for them..... being in that box in a plane,

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
ok, here's UPS numbers, the phone to call, or go to usps.com, here's 800 number
1 800 222-1811

tracking number for Terry is EH 105210131 US
tracking number for Pidgey is EH 105210145 US

both just say they left Boston yesterday, thats all it says??
Many times I've gotten birds before the web site says they've been delivered. They only update a couple times a day or maybe just once. It's usually behind a bit, but will catch up eventually.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
The USPS website only updates in the evenings--it's not like tracking something on Fedex or UPS, where they let you know where it is right this second through GPS tracking (that's a joke).

Pidgey

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Everything will all end well. I am sorry that problems were encountered Moxie.

I received three pigeons from long distance shippers.

Uchiwa from a private carrier and was pampered all the way first class!

Roscoe and Beaksley came to me from the post office. I remember when I picked up Beaksley he was waiting for me in a warm office. It was late winter when he arrived to me.

In all cases I was given a phone call when all my pigeons arrived. I was a bundle of nerves, especaiily with the post office shipments, but I must tell you that I was quite pleasantly surprised by the remarkable service that I received from the post office employess.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
well, just let me know what time they arrive! I get my money back, well, THATS what the lady said anyways. She said it was guaranteed by 12, so i said what if they dont get there by 12, and she's like, "well, we dont even want to think of that, because we wouldnt want them to get there past 12, now would we?" And i said, "yes, of course, but if you guarantee something, i want to know what that exactly MEANS?" She was really snotty... So she said, "well, you get your money back, but i would think you wouldnt be THINKING of the money if your birds didnt make it!"
Of course i care more about the birds then the money lady! Thats what i felt like saying, but i just figuresd if i pushed the whole guarabtee thing maybe they'll be extra careful to get them there on time? Well, you guys say they dont guarantee it anyways, but thats what the lady says!
i'm so worried about them..... Just in the car on the way down they were freaking out, everytime we had to stop or go suddenly, they would fall over, you could hear them falling.
I made a pretty good nest with One-Legged, and the two going to pidgey are in there together, no barrier between them. The box didnt come with one, is that normal for a two bird box? I would think you'd have to make a barrier in case the birds didnt like each other....

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Actually, sometimes the two bird boxes do come with a divider. I've used them before and my husband has made one for boxes that didn't have one. It's needed of you ship two cocks together or a mated pair that haven't been together for a while or a cock and hen. It's not necessary for two hens or two young birds.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts