Pigeon-Talk banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
I had checked UPS website, and it said they made an attempted delivery, and left a notice, so i called Pidgey, "Pidgey, the birds, they tried to deliver them, go get them!" And he's like, "Uh, i have them Raina! I'm in my car now." He went home, opened the box with me on speakerphone, and said they are ALIVE and well! He's gonna post a thread soon i assume about the plans for these birds.
Oh, they attempted delivery at 11:57 am, 3 minutes before guaranbtee, pretty funny, huh? I wonder where Terry's birds are. It is 12:12 there now, so should arrive soon i hope. It's the one-legged bird i'm concerned about. I made him a pretty good nest though....re-inforced with TONS of duct-tape....

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Great to hear that Pidgey's birds have arrived. It's funny, I never thought of Pidgey as having a "real" name other than Pidgey! Lol. And Raina is a beautiful name. I'm sure the rest will arrive safely at their new home soon and then you can finally relax a bit today! :D

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
i just got off the phone with Terry, the one-legged bird didnt make it, he died, has been dead a little bit. When i dropped him off at the PO he was alive. I made him a really good nest, i dont know what happened. I'm so upset right now, he was one of the coolest pigeons ever.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
That blows. Sorry to hear that. I wonder why he didn't make it.

Don't let it bother you to much even i would have said it would be fine. Any healthy bird should make shipping no problem.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
i just got off the phone with Terry, the one-legged bird didnt make it, he died, has been dead a little bit. When i dropped him off at the PO he was alive. I made him a really good nest, i dont know what happened. I'm so upset right now, he was one of the coolest pigeons ever.
I'm so sorry. I'm heartbroken right along with you.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
he was healthy though, really, except for the leg, i'm starting to wonder if the box got tipped over and he couldnt right himself? Maybe he then aspirated on water?
I'm really, really heartbroken.....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
no, no water in box, but i tubed a bit of water, actually, thin, very thin, kaytee, in each of them a few hours before shipping.... But he was fine at the PO, i was in line for 45 minutes, checking on them the whole time......
I just think they got him upside down, what else could it be, he was healthy, as far as i could tell? I mean, he was good weight, ate, drank, walked around ok on the one leg, i had a nest so all he had to do was sit, and he figured out pretty quick how to just sit....

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I had just left the post office from shipping my birds when they called to tell me that Moxie's birds were there. I turned right around and went back and got the birds. I opened the box as soon as I got home (about a 5 minute trip) and saw that the one legged pigeon had died and had been dead for some time. He appeared to have died peacefully, was in good flesh and feather, and had obviously been very, very well cared for by Moxie. The box was not wet, there was no sign of the box having been tipped over, or anything that could cause the death of the bird. I am so very terribly sorry for the loss of this bird and am feeling really awful about how horribly sad Moxie is right now.

The other two are doing fine, and the little speckled female had produced an egg during the journey.

I'll keep everyone posted about the two new family members.

Terry

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Well I know you don't know about everyone but here the workers seem to care about the birds. You never know though what really may happen from one state to the next. I sure hope they weren't upside down.

All I can really say is don't beat yourself up because it sounds like you did more than most people do. I have got over 20 pigeons mailed last summer and all went well. Only one of three shipments came the next day.

There really is no telling what could have happened. I am sorry for the loss of that little guy.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
rock, that nest was secured in place, i tested it to make sure, there was almost a whole roll of duct tape securing it in place. I wouldnt leave it loose like that...
Terry, are you sure she produced an egg? I put fake eggs in with her... she gets MAD, very mad, when i take her away from eggs, i thought she would have a heart attack if she didnt have the falsies....

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Oh, Moxie........I"m so sorry!! I do agree with Grim though......there's no reason that shipping this bird should have caused his death. There had to be something else, even if it was just as simple as the stress was too much. There's no way that you or anyone could have known that. Again, I'm sorry..I just don't know what else to say. :(

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I am also heart broken and I can't even imagine how moxxie must feel right now. Maybe the stress killed him.
I am so sorry.

Reti

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
I'm so sorry, Moxie, it really just knocks the wind out of a person. I'll give the two I got a special hug tonight for you.

Pidgey

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Ohhhh, moxxie i am so sorry about the one who did not make it. Hugs, hugs, hugs. I don't know what else 2 say. Except I know you did your best to help him and he appreciated it very much.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I took pictures when I opened the box today but wasn't going to post them since the one had not survived the journey. I've decided to go ahead and post the pictures simply so every one can see that there were no signs of the box being tipped/upside down, no damage to the box, and that the one legged pigeon appeared to have passed quietly and peacefully. Do keep in mind that the one bird is dead in these pictures, but I doubt you could tell that if you didn't already know.

Moxie, I hope these photos don't upset you, but I think they will clear up any lingering issues for the members including the fact that the "nest" you made was still soundly attached.

http://www.rims.net/2008Apr01

Terry

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
You know, seeing that bird reminded of something that happened about two years ago. I'll try to make it short and sweet. :)
Had some birds sent to my loft for a small futurity race we tried to have in our club.
Had this bird for months.........it flew with the rest, looked perfectly fine. Took the birds on a 40 mile training toss. This bird flew home with all the others. Next morning, I found him dead in the aviary. Absolutely nothing that I saw made me think there was anything wrong. Of course, to this day, I have no idea what happened. No other birds got sick and no other birds died. It just "happened" for no apparent reason.
It possibly could be sheer coincidence that this bird died while being shipped in a box. It's possible that if Moxie hadn't shipped the bird, she would have found it dead anyway. We'll never know of course, but, "stuff" happens and we can't always foresee it. Just because the bird died doesn't mean than there was something wrong that Moxie DIDN'T see or know. I know it's still sad that this bird is gone now, but he looks perfectly peaceful. You can see that he was comfortable and I think it's just one of those things that will never be explained. :(

·
Registered
237 Posts
moxie,
i agree with the others i think you did nothing wrong. i have had it happen a couple times as well. birds are perfectly healthy on minute and gone the next morning. had a baby do it a week ago. banded her in the am and she was fine so was her nest mate. came home that night and she was dead in the nest. lost a german a couple months ago the same way.

im sorry for the loss but it sounds like the bird had a very happy life with you. i suspect stress as well..

E..

41 - 60 of 88 Posts