Pigeon-Talk banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Oh Raina--I am so so so so sorry. Please please don't feel so badly, it can't have been your fault. You are very skilled and experienced compared to many other rescuers. And you do so so much for all your birds, it boggles the mind sometimes even trying to imagine how you do it all. And all that you do, you do very well, conscientiously and compassionately. Every pigeon you have ever rescued was lucky to have crossed your path, regardless of the outcome. I know this really hurts, after all the time you spent calling, researching, worrying about shipping, not to mention all your love and care for these birds. But know it was not your fault.
Pidgey, that was a beautiful post. Every word is so true, so please, Raina, take it to heart.
Sending lots of love,
Sabina

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Ohhhh Moxie .. please, please don't quit and please, please don't punish yourself so badly. I'd be just about willing to bet my life that there was nothing healthwise wrong with the birds you sent to me. Some terrible and accidental thing along their journey caused them to die and not anything you did or didn't do.

The racer is still fine this evening, and while I can't explain why two died and the third one didn't, I'm still sure the deaths were due to some external cause.

The little hen passed peacefully and quietly .. just like one leg. She looked like she was sleeping, just like he did.

For what little comfort it may be, whatever killed them does not seem to have been a painful or difficult death.

I will be burying the two of them side by side at sunrise tomorrow .. complete with peanuts .. under our Joseph's Coat rosebush which is incredibly beautiful. They will then be forever home here.

Terry

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
I just wanted to post and let everyone know i feel a bit better now. I really kind of freaked, i thought all the birds were gonna die, and felt like it was all my fault. I've had time to digest everything, so i'm not as devastated as i was. I still feel horrible, i loved those birds sooo much. I think, now that i know the racer is ok, that whatever one-legge had, the other did too. I mean, they do develop illnesses/disease even as pets, they dont have to be wild and feral to get sick, and i guess i kind of overlooked that a bit. I mean, when a pet dies, we always wonder, "what could i have done differently?" And thats what i thought, but even more so because others were involved. Terry, how horrible, i am so sorry you had to go through this also.
I think, because these 2 were a couple, and would share food/water, kiss each other, preen each other, that one had something and gave it to the other. Or something happened during shipping, we'll never really know.
I will still help the ferals, but i am going to try and focus on the two i have right now. I am still feeding my flock, and caught 2 string injuries i have been trying to catch forever, which was nice. I caught a goose with a broken leg Thursday, and took it to new England wildlife center. There were 2 pigeons in cages in the accepting area. One an all white lost homing pigeon with no band, a squeaker, the other a gray feral. I told the woman they were very pretty pigeons, and she remarked, "i GUESS, i mean, they're JUST pigeons!" And i just thought, great, this place for WILDLIFE, and the vet tech here is disregarding them like that. It made me really sad. Also, i did think of all the pigeons alive because of the help i have given. I appreciate all your replies, they are so beautiful, i really appreciate it!
Like Pidgey said, sometimes we win, sometimes we lose, and i cant beat myself up for the times we lose. Sometimes it has nothing to do with what we have done to treat, sometimes it does, but even trained veterinarians make that mistake, i mean, all the stories on here about vets killing peoples pet pigeons by faulty treatment, it can happen to anyone. It's no ones fault really, as long as your heart is in the right place, i think with you trying, you cannot fail, you tried. Even though i said i would never do this again, i don't mean that, i was just sooo upset, but i never, ever, EVER want to be one of those people that dont help an injured animal, or one of those people that dont or wont help, or havent been in the position of having to make a life or death decision for an animal, yet criticise or blame someone for making their own decision about whether to treat or how to treat.
Thanks everyone for being so supportive through this. I always had pigeons for such a short time when they died, it was sad, but i never had a pigeon that long to have it die before, so it was devastating. I hope you all understand that, which I'm sure you do! ;)

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I'm glad you are feeling a bit better, Moxie. We've all been concerned about you and thinking about you. The racer is still doing just fine.

I'm very happy that you are going to continue to help the needy creatures that cross your path. Though the heartbreaks are hard to take, the successes more than make up for them .. it's just difficult to remember that at times.

Terry

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Terry,
Thanks so much taking care of my pijjies when they died and burying them so sweetly. I appreciate it more then you will ever know, and even though i couldnt be there, i was there in spirit. Thanks for being the strong willed yet sweet woman that you are, i know so many people admire and look up to you here, and i'm sure wherever you go.
May they Rest In Peace, fly free, and have all the peanuts they want in their next life...:eek:

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Nice to see you back and I am so glad you are feeling better. I have said it so many times when a little one dies, that I can't do this anymore, but that thought (or feeling) lasts only for a few minutes, then think about the ones that made it and my happy and beautiful birds that enjoy their little lives and I guess it's all worth it. At least we give them a chance.
You've done a great job with all your rescues.

Reti

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Moxie, I'm so happy you are feeling better about this. I still don't think that those pigeons were sick with anything. You had them so long and like I mentioned earlier, the odds of two dying so closely. to me, are slim.

I have no words of wisdom to share particularly but over the 14 years we have tried to help pigeons we have lost some. This past week was particularly bad on us. We lost a baby dove, a crow and a pigeon. Each death hurts like the devil. The pigeon we tried to save was especially bad. We knew from the minute we saw him that his chances were slim. You learn to see the signs but you work like the devil to try anything to help. Sometimes they give you a glimmer of hope. On Friday, we put him on the floor to walk around, he pecked, preened a bit but quickly tired. Yesterday afternoon, he started slipping away and we stayed with him. The point is, we move on and although you don't forget those that have died, you rejoice for every little soul you save.

You know we care for you.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts