Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, as promised, here are the photos of the work I got done with the help of my carpenter friend on Sunday. She has bad arthritis, and it was raining, so she was moving slow, and we didn't get as much done as we hoped. However, she's coming over again tomorrow, and is going to keep on tutoring me in the mysteries of carpentry. Already she has taught me many handy tips and tricks.
We only worked for 2 hours, and this is how far we got:

The floor, framed.

The floor up on blocks, squared and leveled.

With some of the flooring nailed on- starting to look like a building! :D

It will end up being 12x7, give or take, which is a size that seems good as a starter, with enough room to do some breeding.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
.......and the back wall, framed...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup- I think it'll be pretty sweet- and done quick, rain or shine. I am turbo motivated. :D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Looks great Niki! :D

I ended up starting my loft too. My family is pretty lazy but at the end of the day the 3 men of the family got 50% of the loft done (My dad, older brother, and me).

Instead of going a 8 X 4 X 6 red rose style loft as I had first planned, I instead decided to build an 8 X 4 X 4 loft split into two 4 X 4 X 4 sections. This is because this loft will mainly house my flyers and its easier to catch the birds in this set up for flight releases.

Your loft is looking great! I'll add pictures of mine up here soon. It's nothing pretty but it'll get the job done :D

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sunny day, I should be able to get a lot done- esp if my friend sticks around. She has a bus to catch to get home from school- The plan right now is that I pick her up from school, and she helps until her bus to the county leaves at 4-ish, giving me 2 hours of her time. But, hopefully the sunshine will make her want to work on it, and I can drive her home when the sun goes down at 8. :D

Either way, much will get done today, and pics will follow. I am super excited.

Gubir- it sounds like you have a good plan, man. Can't wait to see pics. I still have all that metal roofing if you need any. Not sure when I could bring it up there tho- lots of irons in the fire these days.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang it all to Heck- my friend was trying to save 2x4's , so we placed the floor joists on 2 ft centers- Big oops- even with 1/2" ply, it was not supportive enough. So, she came over today and flipped it over with me, and now, I gotta add 6 more. At least it'll be real strong...but it is a holdup that I didn't need. However- nice sunny day, and I am hard at work. With the 2 walls already framed, I am hoping to be able to fix the floor, get someone to help me flip it back up on the foundation, and frame the other 2 walls today. Then, stand em up asap, and proceed with the rest of it- which should go pretty quick. Pics later.......

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Same problem here Niki. I'm gonna have to fix up the floor as well. Apparently 6 2 X 4's isn't good enough for a 8 X 4 floor :rolleyes:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The expense of the 2x6, 2x8, etc is what inspired me to pursue my original pallet plan. But, now it is super sturdy the 2x4's every foot. And I have loads of cinder blocks supporting it.
Gurbir, I thought yours is a reach in loft? But hey, if it needs more support, slap em in there- better now than later.
I got a lot done today, but nothing really picture worthy. Esp since I came in for a sandwich, tuned on the tv- and fell asleep :eek: . I like my naps. Luckily it stays light till 8:30 these days. But, I'll take a bunch of pics when I raise the walls- which is gonna be a happy moment for sure.

One handy thing I learned was to lay out the top and bottom sills for the side walls on the floor of the loft, set the angle of the roof, and then measure out and draw in the location of the studs. That way you can get the angles for the top of the wall correct, as well as the length of the studs. I was gonna use math :eek:. The pencil marks keep it simpler,and make it easy to set it up for nailing it all together.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok- Almost time to raise the walls, which will be super exciting. My son and I went to met a local club member and her son, and check out their birds and loft.
It was actually my very first time even holding a pigeon, and that was really fun! Now y'all know how crazy I am for sure- buying birds, and building a loft without ever even meeting a pigeon face to face. But, I knew I would like them, and I did. My son is also now very excited, and can't wait for our birds to get here. He really wants them to "like him", so I think there will be a lot of one on one time and hand feeding going on. :D

Ok- Pictures-

Here is the far wall. It will have a window, and the option of a big aviary in case I have birds I don't wanna risk losing, etc- plus, it will be the breeder section.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here is the framed up door side wall- on the newly extra supportive floor.

and here is the front wall, cut and laid out, but needing some nails. It will have 3 small windows across the top, and access to front aviary and trap dead center.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Looking good with the progress. when are we going to see the final build my friend?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I called it turbo loft build intentionally- I've had a few hiccups, but hopefully the shell will be complete by the end of the week. Then interiors asap. I have to balance school, family time, but mostly I do have a lot of free time.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wanted to raise the walls today- perfect weather doesn't last around here- sometimes doesn't even last through the day. But, when I called my pal the carpenter for advice, she convinced me to wait until tomorrow, cuz she will come over and make sure I do it right. So, hopefully, we will get a lot done tomorrow- and we have sunshine!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man, I have known that for years- but I still managed to short cut 3 of my 2x4's! I just don't have the same level of concentration that I used to. But, I need shorter 2 bys for framing the windows and such, so it's no biggie- just makes me feel like a moron. Of course it is raining today, dagnabbit. But, it could easily be sunny by this afternoon. Besides, the first thing I learned about Washington weather when I moved here was that if you cancel your plans due to weather, you won't ever do anything. So, we carry on, rain or shine. Luckily, my carpenter friend is from Alaska, and is fond of mentioning all the times she was outside framing houses in 20 below weather, etc etc etc. - so she is unlikely to bail due to weather.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts