Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went in to check on my supposedly PMV pigeon this morning and his face was wet. When I picked him up I noticed that liquid was coming out of his nose/mouth. It smells sour, and when I offered him some water, I noticed that when his beak went in to get some, the liquid that came off his beak into the water was cloudy. Ah! What is this! What do I do!

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Can't be for certain but I'd probably treat for canker (Trichomoniasis) given the smell. See if you can get some Metronidazole, Ronidazole, Secnidazole, Carnidazole or even Dimetridazole. Metronidazole is often used for fish and so sometimes you can find an aquarium supply dealer who carries it as "FishZole".

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Open his beak and look down as far as you can to see if you see anything that looks like yellow cheese. I suppose it could also be a yeast bloom down in the crop. How well has food been going through him and what do the poops look like?

Pidgey

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I went in to check on my supposedly PMV pigeon this morning and his face was wet. When I picked him up I noticed that liquid was coming out of his nose/mouth. It smells sour, and when I offered him some water, I noticed that when his beak went in to get some, the liquid that came off his beak into the water was cloudy. Ah! What is this! What do I do!
Sour crop should also be considered.

Cindy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
His poops change literally every day. This morning it was diareah- lots of liquid, and just mixed up blobs of poop. But two days ago there wasn't much liquid and they were well formed. It does currently smell bad.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The fish stuff worked great for me when I didn't have the money for a vet, I ended up using "Pimafix" from the fish section of Petsmart on the advice of a rehaber friend. As bad as it is, if the meds work you see results fast for canker.

I have not worked up to rescuing pigeons, sounds like you are really doing all you can. Thank you for caring!
ps I would panic just like you.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
I'm going to be out-of-pocket for several hours. I tend towards the theory that he's suffering from something in the GI that needs to be addressed.

Pidgey

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, yesterday he wasn't eating food very well. He would pick up the food but wouldn't swallow it. But before yesterday he would eat alot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ahh... well, I don't really think it was a lump, just the curving of his neck bone. It does seem to me to be too far to the right instead of in the middle, but I really don't know anything about this... Does your bird have the same thing? Like, you can feel his neck bone kinda to the left a bit? I think I was just paranoid. I don't think it is any real kind of lump. And there is no way that he could have hurt his neck, since he was twisting his neck but could still hold it up when I found him. By the end of the day he couldn't though... That was last thursday- the 21st. Pidgey said it might be "a yeast bloom" well, from what I can tell on the internet, medications make those worse because it kills friendly bacteria. But canker... are there any other necessary symptoms to diagnose it? I'm going to try to look in his throat right now, but I also read another thread saying that canker also has legions on the outside of him? Maybe I should put him on this fish stuff, if it won't do him any harm...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I look down his throat with a flashlight and I don't see anything unusual like something that stands out.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm sorry he's not doing so well. I hope you are able to figure out what he needs and that he gets better. :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I went to the petstore and looked for some stuff, and I found PimaFix. So how do I give it to him and how much?
Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You know, he has had bad poops on and off for some time, so there probably has been a bacterial infection all along. This is probably just a new manifestation of it. I'm sure this will help.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
OK, I went to the petstore and looked for some stuff, and I found PimaFix. So how do I give it to him and how much?
Thanks
This appears to be an aquarium treatment for fish. I don't have any idea if you could or should use it for the bird. I think we need some of our more homeopathic savvy members have a look at the product before you use it: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11269

If you can find Fish Zole or a similar product that contains metronidazole, you could definitely use that if canker is definite or suspected.

Terry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did look for metronidazole, but couldn't find it. So does anyone out there have an opinion?
Thanks
Sarah

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
I have no idea what's in that PimaFix or how you'd use it. You're probably going to have to go with ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) to the tune of 2 tablespoons per gallon of water concentration. Since it's 3 teaspoons to the tablespoon, you'd be looking at 1 1/2 to the quart (liter). You could even go two. I don't think you should give up the fight looking for the other stuff but weekends are the world's worst for this kind of thing.

Pidgey

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One more note
He hasn't eaten today, and not much yesterday. I just put a seed in his mouth and he wouldn't swallow it, and then he puked the sour smelling liquid. So if that helps anyone know what's going on. I'm starting to lose hope. And the sad thing is, his PMV symptoms are improving. He stood up on his own just now, for the first time. He used his previously limp left leg to push himself up. I was quite discouraged today, but something one of you said has stuck with me: "If he won't give up on himself, then don't you give up on him". Well, I won't. Thanks for everyone's continued help.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
The PimaFix is for fungal and bacterial infections, but doesn't specify what bacterial infection. You can add to the water but I am not sure how much, that is just in case he has some fungal infection going on.
You can go to Foy's or Siegel's and have some anticanker medicine shipped overnight, that will cost a lot though.
Other than that you would need a vet to take some cultures of the fluid and see what is going on and treat acordingly. The downside is, the cultures take a while to develop and by that time it might be too late.
So, keep him warm, give water only and add the PimaFix to it.
Another thing you can try is colloidal silver form the health food stores, a few drops down his throat.

Reti

1 - 20 of 40 Posts